AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suspected velvet disease.

Registered Member

Default suspected velvet disease.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I honestly think it all began when we started giving our discus frozen foods, even though the test kits with drops showed good water quality I think something was still wrong with the water.

]2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Not eating, clamped fins, darting, twitching, hiding, gold/bronze dusting, lethargy,

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Five days ago my smallest discus died. I immediately did a 90% water change, raised the temperature to 31 c (88 f) and added some aquarium salt with aloe, since that's what I have besides table salt - 1.5 tsp per ~ 40 l (10 g). I continued with changing the water-50-70%, siphoning the substrate and cleaning the aquarium every morning for these 5 days, while also adding the lost salt.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

407 l (107 g), 3 discus are 4 months, 5 clown loaches 3 months, and the other 4 are about 10 months in the tank. In total 7 discus, 5 loaches. Ranging from 2.5 inch to 6 inch, the loaches are 2-3 inch.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

1-2 times a week, 50% water change.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

about 10 months, white gravel substrate, about 1 inch deep.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I don't age the water. About 0.5 ph swing.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    I don't use a conditioner.

9. Parameters and water source;

- temp _____29c (84 f before raising it to 88f)

- ph _____ 7.5-8

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5-15

Changing with tap water.

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Frozen blood worms or heart, flakes. 2 times a day.

During my treatment they seemed to be getting better, more active feeding, but some still have the golden dust on them and sometimes but rarely would dart, one is more lethargic then the others. Due to coronavirus almost all non food shops are closed in my city, but I ordered some medicine for velvet, icht and bacterial infections just in case and it will only be here in about 3 days (jbl punktol, oodinol , furanol). I'm not sure how much salt I should be using if at all, since I read loaches don't tolerate salt much. And If I should treat them with medicine which would be the last resort.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: suspected velvet disease.

Can you show us a photo? If this is velvet I would remove the gravel (and sterilize) and raise the temp to 90f, use salt at 7TBS per 10g and treat with a copper based medication. Be very careful with the use of copper because it can be very toxic to discus.

Registered Member

As soon as I get home from work I will post some pictures. Will that much salt be ok with loaches?

Real Name
    Brian

I don't thing loaches are overly sensitive to salt but I would reduce the salt to 3-4TBS to be on the safe side.

Registered Member

https://imgur.com/a/r80QLPY in the last photo, this yellow discus is showing similar signs to the on who died, slow breathing, lethargic. I think this one wont last the 3 days of waiting.
    Last edited by lemont23; 03-21-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemont23 View Post
    1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I honestly think it all began when we started giving our discus frozen foods, even though the test kits with drops showed good water quality I think something was still wrong with the water.

]2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Not eating, clamped fins, darting, twitching, hiding, gold/bronze dusting, lethargy,

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Five days ago my smallest discus died. I immediately did a 90% water change, raised the temperature to 31 c (88 f) and added some aquarium salt with aloe, since that's what I have besides table salt - 1.5 tsp per ~ 40 l (10 g). I continued with changing the water-50-70%, siphoning the substrate and cleaning the aquarium every morning for these 5 days, while also adding the lost salt.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

407 l (107 g), 3 discus are 4 months, 5 clown loaches 3 months, and the other 4 are about 10 months in the tank. In total 7 discus, 5 loaches. Ranging from 2.5 inch to 6 inch, the loaches are 2-3 inch.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

1-2 times a week, 50% water change.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

about 10 months, white gravel substrate, about 1 inch deep.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I don't age the water. About 0.5 ph swing.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    I don't use a conditioner.

9. Parameters and water source;

- temp _____29c (84 f before raising it to 88f)

- ph _____ 7.5-8

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5-15

Changing with tap water.

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Frozen blood worms or heart, flakes. 2 times a day.

During my treatment they seemed to be getting better, more active feeding, but some still have the golden dust on them and sometimes but rarely would dart, one is more lethargic then the others. Due to coronavirus almost all non food shops are closed in my city, but I ordered some medicine for velvet, icht and bacterial infections just in case and it will only be here in about 3 days (jbl punktol, oodinol , furanol). I'm not sure how much salt I should be using if at all, since I read loaches don't tolerate salt much. And If I should treat them with medicine which would be the last resort.
    In reading through your post I see your not using a conditioner, if you live in the states more than likely there are chloramines in the water which could explain the twitching, darting, I would use prime or safe if you don't mind mixing and treat for the total tank volume at each water change, and I would also check the ph of your tap water as compared to the tank ph and adjust water changes accordingly to prevent a pH swing which you could be having, hence the dark color, and I would continue the salt treatment per Brians instructions

Jeanne

Registered Member

No, I live in eu. The ph from tap water is very similar to the tank water they have been bought from. I have tested the water several times and it never showed chlorine. I copy pasted the questionnaire you might have mistaken my discus symptoms with the ones in brackets that were copied.
    Last edited by lemont23; 03-21-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Jeanne has a very good point. Nearly every water company in the world uses chlorine and many use chloramines. I would check with your water company, although if this issue was related to these chemicals I'd think you would have had issues from day one.

Registered Member

Yeah my fish would have been long dead if there were, all fish shops I have been to told me that they don't use a conditioner.

Registered Member

I slowly added the salt and now they are freaking out/darting, if I get close to the aquarium. What should i do??

Real Name
    Brian

I've never heard of this type of reaction. What kind of salt did you add and how much?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by lemont23 View Post
    I slowly added the salt and now they are freaking out/darting, if I get close to the aquarium. What should i do??
    That should NOT be happening!! What kind of salt did you use? Hopefully regular table salt! Approach the tank from the side and turn off the tank lights to see if that calms them down.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

the lights are turned off, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tropical-SA.../dp/B008AV9FIO this mixed 3 tbs per 10 gallon, there is still 1/3 of the solution left that Im putting in. Should I change the water?

Real Name
    Brian

I would do a water change and use regular table salt or any other pure salt with no additives. I've never heard of salt with aloe added.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I would not add the rest since the fish are not responding well to it. Can you do a large water change and add regular table salt instead. I would suggest NOT using what you linked.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast