ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: suspected velvet disease.

Registered Member

Default Re: suspected velvet disease.

Im doing a water change right now. And I just want to be sure so I don't do more harm to them TBS is a tablespoon-3 teaspoons

Real Name
    Brian

Try your teaspoons first then up it to tablespoons if you see nothing bad. 3TBS is a very mild amount and discus should not have any reaction at all.

The last time I used salt, I used 1 TBS per gallon and the fish showed no ill effects...

In your case, if parasites are present, we are trying to promote the slime coat...

Registered Member

I have sea salt its as fine as regular table salt would be, this will be ok? how long should I be puring it so they adjust to it?
    Last edited by lemont23; 03-21-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

I think sea salt should be fine.

If you keep this treatment up for the length of time it will take for them to get better buy the cheapest salt you can find as long as it's pure Sodium Chloride.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I will be doing this first thing in the morning, for now the shops are closed.

Registered Member

https://imgur.com/a/zBx9Plo I also found pictures of the discus that died, I don't see velvet on him and now im completely lost. Whats wrong with them?

Registered Member

I have made a video of my discus, and cut out the parts where symptoms are visible. There seems to be some white spots? In addition there's a few tiny hollow dots on some of their faces. I've done a 80% wc before filming and gave them some food a few hours later, but the 2 discus that can be seen at the very end of the video didn't eat as far as I can tell. I also couldn't see any spots one their sides, only some hollow dots on the face. The floating stuff, I can't understand where it is coming from. Every time after I've finished doing a wc and turn on the filter, it releases air together with these particles even though I have cleaned the filter about a week ago. Can someone take a look at the video and tell me how should I treat them, please, Because now I'm very confused. Thank you!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HskO-ne3kEQ
    Last edited by lemont23; 03-22-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

The particles in the water are likely from the build up of sludge in the housing intake and output in the filter hose. That happens in one of my tanks with a canister filter. Seems harmless.

Real Name
    Tom

I would wipe down your wood before the next water change . Looks like a lot of stuff clinging to the wood ..
    It looks like the discus that died was very stunted as it has large eye in proportion to body size so it may have been effected or weakened before and possibly even introduced the issue you are dealing with .
    A sponge filter may actually help collect the floating debris better then the power filters ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

I'm currently treating them with 250mg/10gal of metronidazole, in the video I could see a lot more symptoms than I could with my bare eyes. And I suspect hex,hole in the head disease. Cleaning the filter removed these particles.

Registered Member

The 2 smallest discus finnaly started eating after 3 days of metro treatment, one ate some discus eggs... But this is a huge improvement. And they all seem so much more healthy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12