ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New RO unit coming

Default New RO unit coming

I just ordered it today. It has a built in water pressure meter and TDS meter. I called the company. I am more than impressed with their helpfulness. I asked the guy, Stan, if I could toss the DI and replace it with another carbon block. He said that they built their units in house so they'd do that for me. They said that they'd send me the 15' of wastewater tubing I will need at no charge. They ship with 6 or 4 feet. It was all fine except for the waste water hose.

It should arrive by FedEx Friday. I can't wait. I've been looking so forward to taking another good shot at breeding again. Yes, I like my very red Platy's, my Snots, and my Mystery snails but as you who yearn to breed those are not enough to satisfy.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: New RO unit coming

Breeding is more addicting then fish keeping for some ..
    I here some people get right out of control and barely have any fish that don't breed !
    For me breeding just fits my goal in life to put back more then I take . Fish have just been one of the things that have allowed me to contribute more then I ever could have imagined ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Larry

I know what you both mean, I love fish keeping I have kept everything from guppies to Oscars. The real satifaction came when I was able to get them to spawn and was able to raise and sell thee fry. Now the same is discus, cant just keep them but have to get them to spawn and watch the babies grow. Glad your getting back to breeding Liz.

Real Name
    Brian

The best thing about my RO unit is I make some for my fish and some for me. RO is makes much better tasting coffee, tea and juices!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Keep, the food and drink connoisseur!! I love tasty things too mate, but you're in another level...

Great news Liz! Can't wait to see you ramp it up a notch sis!!

It has still not arrived. FedEx says now that it will be Monday.
    Mama Bear

I got it the next day, got it hooked up day before yesterday and so far I'm pleased.
    Mama Bear

I'm stepping up the game. I just ordered a booster pump. When everything is perfect with the RO I get 65 PSI. But as the prefilters age it goes down to 55. I don't get the product to waste ratio that I want. I want to set the booster pump to give me 80 lbs of pressure. Right now I'm changing one after another when it drops to 55. My dang sediment filters hardly look dirty. I'm going to end up owing my soul to BRS.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Liz, which RO unit did you get?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I got one similar to this but up-graded to a 150 gallon membrane and added an extra carbon filter. This morning my PSI was down to 40!!! I back flushed and it's up to 50 now. I've used up all my spare sediment filters. My product is still TDS 1 so the carbon filters are working fine.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

The backwash /rinse may serve you well used more often ?
    I use a pump so never worry much but pressure is definitely related waste .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm stepping up the game. I just ordered a booster pump. When everything is perfect with the RO I get 65 PSI. But as the prefilters age it goes down to 55. I don't get the product to waste ratio that I want. I want to set the booster pump to give me 80 lbs of pressure. Right now I'm changing one after another when it drops to 55. My dang sediment filters hardly look dirty. I'm going to end up owing my soul to BRS.
    You may already know this, Liz, but prefilters are very cheap from Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. They attach through standard fittings and the 10 micron paper cartridge is disposable. You can add one or more of these ahead of the R/O to avoid clogging the more expensive membranes.

Picture1(3TTfhhX3dPC).png
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I didn't know that, Willie. I hope to be at Home Depot Tuesday or Wednesday. If they don't have it, there is a Loews down the highway just a bit. I don't understand how my particle filters get clogged up so fast when my source water is just 79 TDS. It drives me crazy that I can't figure out why. I do have a 5 micron first then a 1 micron. Will this prefilter help me? I swear, when I change my 2 filters before they go to the carbon filters they are hardly dirty at all. Something ain't right!

Tom, I back flush when ever I turn it on or turn it off and sometimes in between. It helps for maybe a half hour and then my pressure tanks again. I went down and checked the pressure just now. It's down to 20 PSI. I'm in the process of doing a big long back flush and I'll see what happens. Product water is still 1 TDS.
    Mama Bear

OK, I just quit back flushing and it's gone up to 30. How long that will last I will know when I go down to do WC at 4.
    Mama Bear

When I woke up and the pressure was down to 20 I just turned the darned unit off. I had enough product to make it through. If I did things Willie's way I wouldn't need any at all! But today my new filters in, did a good long back flush and now I'm back up to 65 PSI. It will be another week or so before my booster pump will arrive, though. I can't wait! I'm tired of constantly changing filters that hardly look dirty.
    Mama Bear