AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amanda's Discus Journey

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Smile Amanda's Discus Journey

Hi Everyone - I've been posting all over the forum for the last couple of days, so I hope you guys aren't sick of me yet! I figured I'd start this thread so I can try to keep useful information and advice from you guys all in one spot.

I'll try to keep this post short and sweet.

A few months ago, I made the mistake of impulsively purchasing 3 (2.5") Discus from my LFS. The fish developed Hex approx 2 1/2 weeks into having them. They refused to eat for 10 days until they eventually passed away one by one. I worked alongside with Cary Strong - he was a tremendous help and I am grateful for his assistance during that time. He really did help me try to save them.

Fast forward- after doing much research on this forum, I had realized plenty of things that I could have done differently with that first tank. I decided to give it another go.. I set up a 125g tank for the Discus that I would be ordering from Hans. After the tank was cycled and ready, I ordered 15, 4" Discus. These fish are absolutely stunning. They've been here since Thursday 2/19. They are eating beef heart for breakfast at 8am, then around 12pm they get frozen bloodworms, 2pm they get Blackworm flakes and then between 6-7pm they're eating beef heart again.

Here are my tank parameters:
    Temp: 86F
    pH: 6.8
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrates: 5-10ppm
    GH: 5
    KH: 1-2
    (GH/KH is identical from the water in my tap vs. the water in my tank)

This is my first time trying to understand GH/KH... Some have told me that my GH/KH is fine and others told me that I should add crushed coral to my filter (thoughts?)..

Water Changes: Currently 30%-40% daily... Some have suggested 75% daily (thoughts?)..

I currently have white fuzzies growing on the inside glass - I've been turning my filters off during feeding and wiping the glass daily.

Filtration: 2 Tidal 110's, 3 sponge filters
    Heaters: 2 Eheim 300w's with Bulk Reef Supply Heater control
    Lights: 2 Fluval Aquasky's - 48"L each
    Airpump: Top Fin 4 line output (I know, I know - I'm not a fan of this brand either).... - Originally was going to be a CoralLife SL-65 but the pump is just SO LOUD! So I'm returning it for a CoralLife UV sterilizer instead

Substrate: Thin layer of very fine gravel (the bag said sand but it's definitely a bit larger than sand)... I originally was going to do BB painted. I forgot to paint the bottom glass before I put the tank on its stand and filled it. I figured to cover up the mirroring on the bottom (I didn't know if this would stress the fish), that the best choice for the time being would be a thin layer of sand/gravel.

In 2 weeks, I will be treating the fish with Levamisole..... (as recommended by Cary)

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING!! Any input or helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Here are some pics of the Fabulous 15! (My nickname for them)..
    Please note: Heaters have been switched to Horizontal since the full tank photo was taken!

-Amanda
    all.jpg
    Blue D and BTurq.jpg
    Discus11.jpg
    Discus12-2.jpg
    german wonder.jpg
    IMG_7444.jpg
    Last edited by Acerrato; 03-24-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Amanda's Discus Journey

Hi Amanda,
    Beautiful tank and discus! I wrote in one of your other threads about GH/KH. I mis-read and thought you had a KH of 4, which I thought might be good enough. If it really is only 1-2,then you may want to add something like the crushed coral. Sorry for any confusion.
    Steve

Real Name
    Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Amanda,
    Beautiful tank and discus! I wrote in one of your other threads about GH/KH. I mis-read and thought you had a KH of 4, which I thought might be good enough. If it really is only 1-2,then you may want to add something like the crushed coral. Sorry for any confusion.
    Steve
    +1. Nice tank and fish.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Thank you Steve! I originally did think it was 4 - I retested and concluded that it is in fact between 1-2. I was confused because the test said that I'd have my KH when the test went from blue to yellow. The test never showed blue (not even from the 1st drop into the vile).. 1st drop kept the water a clearish color, 2nd drop made it a clearish/yellow.. 3rd drop made it more of a solid yellow.. But the fact that it never went from blue to yellow (only clear to yellow), has me suspecting that it's closer to 1-2.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    +1. Nice tank and fish.

Thank you Bill!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Any risk in adding too much coral at once? I've filled a large mesh media bag with it, rinsed it and am ready to add it to my basket.. Just wanted to make sure it doesn't have to be added gradually. Thanks in advance!

Hi Amanda,
    Steve

Real Name
    Steve

I've never had to use it so hopefully someone else with experience will reply.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Thank you! I'll hold off on adding it for now... It is ready to go though.

I've never had to use it so hopefully someone else with experience will reply.

Hello Amanda and welcome, reading your post here about KH and I'm assuming you're using api test kit instructions seem a little confusing while it does say you should go from blue to yellow step 5 states that KH is determined by number of drops to turn test water bright yellow, I would try and clarify that maybe in speaking with api before I added coral, and as far as water changes go the more water you change at any one given time the more chance you have of upsetting your ph so I would check your water to see if you have ph swings and I would also check my tank ph against my water change source at every water change just to avoid any ph problems

Jeanne

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Thank you Jeanne - YES!! The instructions are so confusing!! In one part it says wait until it turns from blue to yellow... and then in another section it says "bright yellow"... So I've been trying to look at youtube videos to see what others' test tubes look like... I'll keep testing/comparing and report back in a couple of days on that.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm suspecting that given your low pH, there is very little KH buffer in your water, which might mean the test reagent never gets to turn blue. This would make it all the more important to monitor your pH to be sure is doesn't start dropping rapidly, known as "crashing."

Real Name
    Bill G.

I can only speak for my situation as my PH is at 7.8 or so. My crushed coral is in a med/sm bag in the sump. My PH of both tank and aging barrel are the same. I want to keep my PH the same w a stable KH, so I put crushed coral in the sump so as the water in the tank slowly acidifies, the crushed coral is there to act on any increased acids. This happens very slowly and it’s my understanding that the coral will only leach out/buffer water w more acid. Your water being 6.8 is on the low side, so adding coral may increase both your PH and KH. Your situation is unique in that your water is on the acidic side to begin with. Honestly, I’m not sure how exactly how you should proceed. My “guess” is that putting a bag in your tank sump/filter would be ok as the crushed coral would be ‘busy’ trying to deal w the acids very slowly and, in so doing, would....more or less.....keep your tank water from becoming more acid. If you do frequent WCs, the coral would never really have time to alter the PH/KH that much. The crushed coral in the sump/filter is available to provide KH factors as needed. The people I’ve called to discuss this with real well with is Seachem support. They’ll have products to sell that increase KH, but you can learn from them and apply their knowledge imparted to your PH/KH situation. I don’t feel bad about doing this bc I do regularly purchase their Matrix, De-Nitrator, Stability, Paraguard, Prime, Trace products...among others. Perhaps others will chime in and give you a better direction. Again....in my particular situation, the crushed coral does exactly what I need bc my PH is high enough that the crushed coral really gets going only if my tank water heads in the acidic direction. At 7.8, the coral is there more as a fallback where yours might be more of a changer.

Real Name
    Francis

I add about 14 oz of crushed corals in a mesh bag and insert it into the Aquaclear 110 HOB filter to stabilize the Ph.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Just tested everything again - so we'll say 18-19 hours after the 1st test.

Tank Results: 5 GH, 2-3KH (The result is definitely a 2/3 - it turned from blue to yellow today!!) - I normally do my water changes in the mornings - I haven't done mine yet today - I'm going to do it shortly. pH 6.8-7.0

Tap Results: 5GH, 2-3KH

The reason I'm writing 2-3 is because it went from blue, to a soft greenish/yellow, to a solid yellow... So It's somewhere between 2-3... Or just a 3.
    Last edited by Acerrato; 03-24-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Good. Glad the test was clearer today. Given the change began at 2, I would be inclined to use that as the value, since we're thinking it's on the low side anyway, and that you're planning to add coral.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast