ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Amanda's Discus Journey

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Amanda's Discus Journey

Hi Amanda, that is pretty funny. I might suggest simply using a air pump/air stone to "gas off" your water. Best way of avoiding showers in the basement lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Thank you Pat! I used the pump instead because I thought it would get rid of the bubbles quicker.. after an hour of using the pump, I have 0 gas bubbles when I refill the tank! This is easiest for me honestly because it's an all in one.. If I did an airstone, I'd have to pickup an extra air pump & tubing.. This is working for me (for now) - until the next shower...

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Hi Guys... just wondering if anyone has any experience with their discus eating sand? I have a fish for about a month now pooping out sand.. yes, I'm 100% sure it's sand and not eggs... they're rock solid & scratch the glass on the bottom of the tank.. The tank is barebottom but i used to have sand in the tank 9+ months ago and there's still some lingering sand around in certain areas. The fish get fed freeze dried blackworms, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp & sera granules - the mixture is different everyday though. They had a case of cross contamination a few months ago but everyone is fine and recovered.. I'm stumped on this though.. I've physically seen the fish pass poop with the sand in it as well as finding poop/sand chunks in different areas of the tank. When the fish passes the poop with sand, it drops right to the bottom of the tank quickly as if there's small rocks in it's poop (which there are...)... it's 100% sand, definitely no eggs (parasites)...

Also keep in mind, there's barely any sand in the tank.. he's definitely going out of his way to eat the sand specifically. It's more of a very very fine gravel than sand.
    Last edited by Acerrato; 02-06-2021 at 08:26 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

I've seen little chunks of gravel before. I'm not sure where they come from because my tanks are bare bottom. I certainly hope they aren't making them and pooping them out, lol...

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Haha!! I'm going to try adding an additional feeding back into the day's routine... when I had the case of CC, I cut back on amount of times I was feeding per day to try to keep the water cleaner. Hopefully this helps!

Incredible macro shots! Great looking tank.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678