ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amanda's Discus Journey

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Amanda's Discus Journey

I doubt it is Ich and hardly any symptoms on the body and most likely is gas bubble disease .
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Gas bubble disease? Just looked it up- would you recommend that I keep the python hose above the water line while filling the tank rather than sticking the tube right into the water? Would that help?

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    I doubt it is Ich and hardly any symptoms on the body and most likely is gas bubble disease .

Real Name
    Bill G.

Francis, I hope you are right. That’s why I suggested, early on, a very close examination of the body which is hard to do bc of the fish body coloring along with watching for increased numbers of spots.

Real Name
    Francis

Just sharing
    An article from Rick Grange of Canadian Aqua farm..... 2. Gas Bubble Disease & How To Prevent It

http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/articles/
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Thank you both so much! Keeping an eye on these guys.. I'll post an update if/when I have one

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    Francis, I hope you are right. That’s why I suggested, early on, a very close examination of the body which is hard to do bc of the fish body coloring along with watching for increased numbers of spots.

Real Name
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Acerrato View Post
    Gas bubble disease? Just looked it up- would you recommend that I keep the python hose above the water line while filling the tank rather than sticking the tube right into the water? Would that help?

I use water pump and a hose with garden attachments and a clamp to refill the tank.5fe8e72f.jpgDSCF0859.jpg.....you could keep the python hose immerse in the tank.

HTH
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

The spots look viral to me .
    Tons of angelfish have been seen with similar spots on the tail in particular and meds and temp made no difference .
    The spots cleared up after several weeks of good water and food for the angel folks ..
    I say breeding behavior for the twitching personally but can not be positive without seeing it ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Thank you Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    The spots look viral to me .
    Tons of angelfish have been seen with similar spots on the tail in particular and meds and temp made no difference .
    The spots cleared up after several weeks of good water and food for the angel folks ..
    I say breeding behavior for the twitching personally but can not be positive without seeing it ..

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

One of my blue snakeskin's brought food over to my Red pigeon blood.... I haven't see this behavior yet - is this something that they actually do? The pigeon was swimming around in the middle of the tank while everyone else was eating BH from my hand.... Blue snakeskin swam over to the PB and spit out a big chunk of BH right in the PB's face....It looked like he was trying to feed her (or she was trying to feed him)?...

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Acerrato View Post
    One of my blue snakeskin's brought food over to my Red pigeon blood.... I haven't see this behavior yet - is this something that they actually do? The pigeon was swimming around in the middle of the tank while everyone else was eating BH from my hand.... Blue snakeskin swam over to the PB and spit out a big chunk of BH right in the PB's face....It looked like he was trying to feed her (or she was trying to feed him)?...
    No.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Well, he was just being a jerk then... hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    No.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Hi Everyone... Just an update... I've been slowly removing the sand from the tank over the last 4 days or so - still another day or two before it's all been removed. It gets EVERYWHERE.... It makes it frustrating when I put my pump in the tank for my WC.. It blows the sand all over the place... it sticks to the driftwood and sometimes the fish. I'm going to add a very very thin layer of white gravel instead. I'm still doing between 30%-70% WC's daily as well as vacuuming. A couple of the fish are stressed - mainly my 2 Blue Snakeskins.... both are eating every time I feed everyone but they seem to just be hanging out in the back of the tank, facing the back wall lately.... Keeping an eye on them though... no noticeable injuries and no bullying that I can see... They're still being social with me for the most part (coming out to see me when I walk by or if they notice I'm getting ready to feed them).... I cleaned one of my filters today and there are now slime strings floating around in the tank - I'm assuming the filter will take care of them. The white spots on my White Leopard's tails hasn't changed - both are happy and eating!

Real Name
    Francis

I use a wet/dry vacuum to suck out all the sand ....120 gallons tank less than 10 mins.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

That's what I'm using - it's hard for me to maneuver around the tank with the utility pump though... I have to just get all of the sand onto one side and then suck the rest of it up.. It's mostly BB right now but there are some spots that still have sand.. Hoping to have it all gone by tomorrow. I ordered a few different backgrounds I'd like to test out on the back of the tank. Very helpful suggestions on backgrounds from Tom (Coralbandit). Can't wait till they arrive - I'm getting anxious about how this tank will look after I can start really doing what I want to it.. 4 more weeks of QT!

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    I use a wet/dry vacuum to suck out all the sand ....120 gallons tank less than 10 mins.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Hi Everyone - I think I've found the culprit of the stress... Tested my pH today and it is 7.4 (it was 6.6 last week)... It's still coming out of the tap at 6.6-6.8.... I noticed the stress from the Snakeskin's a day or two after I added the crushed coral to my filter to help with my GH/KH... I've just removed the coral. I plan on doing a 30% water change today to try to bring the pH down a bit... Is 30% going to cause too much of a swing?

Tank parameters are:
    pH 7.4. (this has been the only change in the tank parameters)
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrates 10ppm (or less depending on if I've done my WC or not for the day)

As always, thank you all for your help!
    Last edited by Acerrato; 04-01-2020 at 09:11 AM. Reason: add

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast