AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How's Your Discus Doing These Days?

Real Name
    Willie

Default How's Your Discus Doing These Days?

I've been working from home, like everyone else, for the past three weeks. As a discus fanatic, I make 100% water changes daily and pride myself for the cleanest tanks around.

Now that I save an hour of commute time every day, I no longer have to rush the water changes every morning. I can take more time cleaning the filters and wiping down the sides. Since we can't go out, my wife is more than happy to have me spend my time in the fishroom. Now everything that needs to be put away has been put away. Everything that needs to be fixed has been fixed. Every tank has LED lighting now.

Because of the virus, I've officially moved into the "obsessive" phase of discus keeping.

Da*n these tanks are clean. I'm probably overfeeding them too!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: How's Your Discus Doing These Days?

Glad you have an opportunity to enjoy and appreciate your fish.

Stay well
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

lol. I'm an over feeder as well, Willie. I know that it's wasteful of both fish food and water but I can't help myself.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill G.

Good point Willie.

I, too, have been trying to make the best of this situation by really doing all those things we’d normally put off. My fish room is darn clean as are the tanks etc. Luckily for me, I have lots of hobbies and always find something to tweak, modify, clean or create. It is easier for those who have hobbies. I wish more people would kinda try harder to make the best of this as opposed to merely complaining. Let’s hope that this soon passes and we get over this wo illnesses and loss of life. The economy will bounce back.....it has to. Stay safe everyone.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Hey Willie! How often do you clean your filters? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I've been working from home, like everyone else, for the past three weeks. As a discus fanatic, I make 100% water changes daily and pride myself for the cleanest tanks around.

Now that I save an hour of commute time every day, I no longer have to rush the water changes every morning. I can take more time cleaning the filters and wiping down the sides. Since we can't go out, my wife is more than happy to have me spend my time in the fishroom. Now everything that needs to be put away has been put away. Everything that needs to be fixed has been fixed. Every tank has LED lighting now.

Because of the virus, I've officially moved into the "obsessive" phase of discus keeping.

Da*n these tanks are clean. I'm probably overfeeding them too!

Willie

Real Name
    Willie

I only run sponge filters in bare bottom tanks. Typically, they are Hydro V Pros double stacked. Tanks < 75 gal get 1 stack of 2 sponges. Bigger tanks get 2 stacks of 2 sponges. The sponges get squeezed once every two weeks.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Pat

Same deal for me! Rinsed all my sump media, tightened up some plumbing, got some hose holders for my peg board and so on. Trying to fight the overfeeding by sticking to a schedule