ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Levamisole

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Default Re: Levamisole

Tom,

As you know (you were my very first Discus friend!), I studied this forum like crazy for months before purchasing these guys. One of the very first things I did when I signed up for this site was watch the "beginner video" from Al Sabetta. One of the very first things he recommends doing is deworming your fish, no matter where they came from. I honestly was asking this question to see what everyone else does. I personally don't want to deworm them. You know first hand the fear I have of medicating my fish because of my last experience... Some people say to 100% deworm them, others say not to unless you see signs.... It seems to be the great debate.... Haha... I'm still deciding what I'm going to do. I am leaning towards NOT deworming them however.... (please no judgements from anyone)!

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Just a question? Why would you deworm discus bought from a well known breeder? Is it that they may have gotten worms in your possession?

Real Name
    Willie

Certainly no judgement from me, but I do not deworm. I've purchased discus from at least five of the Simply Discus sellers in the past 10 years and have not had any problems. Nevertheless, new fish always go into a strict 6-week quarantine, and I've not had any problems with this protocol.

I have had issues with discus purchased from other breeders and importers, mostly before SD came into existence. (Those were painful learning opportunities, which is why I always quarantine.) In each case, the problem has not been intestinal worms. I've read threads where people described treating with deworming medication and the tank was filled with worms afterwards (ugh). But I've never had a face-to-face discussion with any hobbyist about a personal experience.

I'm generally skeptical about powders you can buy over the counter, throw into a tank, to address fish diagnosis based on completely untrained observations. I know of no medication that does not stress out the fish and have had many, many experiences of watching fish die despite everything. Now when I see a sick discus, it immediately goes into quarantine. The heater is cranked to 93F and salt is added at the rate of 1 tablespoon/gallon. In every case, the fish will immediately look more comfortable. My preferred approach is to help the fish fight the disease on its own. (Note that this only applies to discus.)

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Hinchliffe

I used levamisole for one of my little guys who showed signs of worms. Followed the instructions and the little guy is now doubled in size and is out of quarantine.i also added salt as per the suggestions of more experienced members here

Real Name
    Tom

Im with Willy. But being you bought all yours together. Your tank is their qt tank. But another qt tank is important to have. I also use salt that’s it I’ve never used meds and allways remove fish to qt for salt treatment. If down the line you get more discus you must qt before adding to your fish.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Thanks for the info. I did not know this about the higher temps...
    Somebody needs to test out that 78 degrees experiment and let the forum know how it goes.

Registered Member

Agreed. It makes absolutely no sense. Levamisole is widely used in animals whose temperature is usually above 100°F.

I don't believe everything inkmaker says. I'd rather buy from anyone but him unless I have no choice.

Also, I agree with everything Willie said. I've been through hell with new fish infecting my existing clean fish twice, but worm were not the cause.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12