AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus in a 40 Gallon?

Registered Member

Question Discus in a 40 Gallon?

Hey guys!
    I plan on getting a 40 gallon tank (around 80cm 45cm 40cm) and want to get some discus.
    How many 10cm/4in discus could I keep in the 40 gallon if I want to keep them even when they're adults?
    I also want to have a piece of driftwood that have some plants attached (but no substrate). Would that be a good idea?
    Tips and pointers would be helpful. Thanks in advance:)

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Discus in a 40 Gallon?

Hi and welcome to Simply Discus. Others may chime in, but I'm going to just give you sort of the standard recommendation we give folks. Assuming your 4 in discus are well cared for, they could grow to 5-6 in adult fish. The recommendation is usually 10 gal. per fish. As a very social fish, groups of 6 or more are usually recommended to minimize aggression and help everyone get along. I understand tank size and space is usually a consideration, but take the ideas into account. If you can manage a 55 gal, or even 75, you could keep a group of six fish. I have driftwood with attached plants in bare bottom tanks. Everyone's fine as long as you keep it clean. That usually means water changes at least every couple days, if not daily while growing out younger fish. Older fish can get by with less frequent changes, but we're still talking about around 50% or more changed each time. What do you plan for your filtration? That will have some effect too.
    Ask away and hopefully more folks will chime in and help.
    Steve

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi and welcome to Simply Discus. Others may chime in, but I'm going to just give you sort of the standard recommendation we give folks. Assuming your 4 in discus are well cared for, they could grow to 5-6 in adult fish. The recommendation is usually 10 gal. per fish. As a very social fish, groups of 6 or more are usually recommended to minimize aggression and help everyone get along. I understand tank size and space is usually a consideration, but take the ideas into account. If you can manage a 55 gal, or even 75, you could keep a group of six fish. I have driftwood with attached plants in bare bottom tanks. Everyone's fine as long as you keep it clean. That usually means water changes at least every couple days, if not daily while growing out younger fish. Older fish can get by with less frequent changes, but we're still talking about around 50% or more changed each time. What do you plan for your filtration? That will have some effect too.
    Ask away and hopefully more folks will chime in and help.
    Steve
    I have a Eheim compactON 1000 pump and I want to use that so hopefully an overhead filter or an canister filter. I would also like to know if I should deworm the discus as soon as I get them?
    I have about 3 feet of space to put my fish tank in btw
    Last edited by alchemist5147; 03-26-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Some folks always deworm, and some will say it depends on where/who you get them from. If you are buying from a reputable dealer, like one of our sponsors, I would as their recommendation when you order your fish.

I know that sounded like a plug for our sponsors, but the point really was about knowing the seller.

Registered Member

How do I view a list of the "reliable" dealers/sponsors? Do you happen to know any reputable dealers in Houston?
    Also would four discus in a 40 gallon be adequate?
    Last edited by alchemist5147; 03-26-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alchemist5147 View Post
    Hey guys!
    I plan on getting a 40 gallon tank (around 80cm 45cm 40cm) and want to get some discus.
    How many 10cm/4in discus could I keep in the 40 gallon if I want to keep them even when they're adults?
    I also want to have a piece of driftwood that have some plants attached (but no substrate). Would that be a good idea?
    Tips and pointers would be helpful. Thanks in advance
    For a first timer the 1 fish to 10 gallons seems to be the consensus. I've raised and breed Discus and didn't hear about the rule of thumb in the Alexrod book that I read before the invention of the internet. I keep 6 full grown discus 2 Cory cats and a little Pleco in a 30 gallon but filter water at 300 gallons per hour with heavy aeration and 100% water change per week with tap water and Prime added. All seems well but I keep on top of that tank as well.

Registered Member

How do I view a list of the "reliable" dealers/sponsors? Do you happen to know any reputable dealers in Houston?
    Why limit to Houston area? Everyone ships overnight. Golden State and Kenny on west coast. Dennis in mid west. All excellent reputation.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Why limit to Houston area? Everyone ships overnight. Golden State and Kenny on west coast. Dennis in mid west. All excellent reputation.
    I would rather go and look at the discus myself than depend on pictures and reviews online.. I've bought all my past fish that way. I also don't want to risk potential harm to the discus while shipping

Real Name
    Steve

The forum has a sponsors section, farther down the page. All good folks. 4 in a 40 could be fine, but I was giving you more to think about.

Registered Member

So would you suggest 6 in a 40? (sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions I just want to have all my research done before I get some discus)

Real Name
    Bill G.

I realize space is important, but so is adequate tank size. I think I read that your footprint for your tank is 36”. So, get a larger tank with a 36” footprint and skip the 40g. Here is a chart of aquaria sizes w a 36” footprint. I realize these will be taller and maybe a bit deeper, but despite the maintenance pains, such a vertical look can be appealing. I have a 60g where I used to have a 55g and it’s height really looks cool. I hope to replace my 75 w a 90 someday....they have the same footprint/base, but the 90 is a bit taller. I am limited space wise as well in my fish room.

Gal............ L ........... W ......... H

45 Gallon 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 23 3/4

50 Gallon 36 7/8 x 19 x 19 5/8
    65 Gallon 36 7/8 x 19 x 24 5/8

Lastly.....imho, 6 adults in a 40 would be possible only w mega filtration, massive WCs, fish that always get along which is a dream, and more filtration. I would think only a Discus expert would endeavor to do this.....and most probably would not. If you have the room vertically and depth wise, go w a 50 or 65 gallon where you were going to put the 40. Just trying to help. Your researching this prior to getting the fish is admirable.
    Last edited by 14Discus; 03-27-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

The tank you are describing is actually a 38 gal. I think, and with driftwood and not quite full, ~35 gallons. Are you completely wed to 80 cm? if you can fit 92 cm you can go all the way up to 65 gallons and easily accommodate 6 fish. The risk with a group of less than 6 is that one or two may get excessively bullied and fail to thrive. Also you can overstock but be prepared to change water frequently (probably > 1/day), even after they're grown. Another alternative is to set up a smaller tank as a sump below the 38 which increases your total water volume, but that is a ton of work for such a small tank.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Also, tank volumes are a little like 2x4 boards. Measure the interior diameter of the tank. You will find it is slightly optimistic. Recently checked a 65 I bought, ID 35.5x17.5x23, 62 gallons before I put anything other than water in it.

Registered Member

I can do 92cm but it's going to be a tight fit...I hope my parents are okay with it though. Maybe like 14Discus said I could expand height-wise?
    Can anyone be as kind enough to estimate the cost of 6 discus? I want to get 2 Blue Snakeskin, 2 Red Turquoise, and 2 Yellow discus(haven't decided yet suggestions?). It would be nice if costs of heaters, filters, food, etc were included in the estimated price
    Also I heard that background color affects the colors in the discus. What background color should I use?
    Last edited by alchemist5147; 03-27-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

I always like to overestimate my costs so that I don't turn out to be surprised when it's time to pay for everything. I'd plan for $80 per fish (could go up or down a little bit depending on what size fish you decide on)... So that's $480. Between a heater & a filter, I'd plan to spend $125-$150.. Food really depends on what you plan on feeding them - they eat a lot, so I'd plan for at least $50. That's $680 for the above... that doesn't include any decorations you'd want to add, or lighting (if you didn't like the standard hood that the new tank came with). You'd also need an airstone in the tank with airline tubing and an air pump. (another $50).... I'd say plan to spend somewhere around $700.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast