AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member

Registered Member

Default Re: New Member

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    I think Dan has already answered this one somewhere on here, but a 'ute' is the abbreviation for utility car...similar to your 'pickup' trucks but smaller.

It surprises me how much interest it gets on here.

Attachment 127252
    I have been teasing about the "ute". There is a movie titled "My Cousin Vinny" stars Joe Pesci playing a lawyer from New York. He is defending two young men accused of robbing a gas station. Fred Gwynne plays the part of judge. During his opening comments to the judge Vinny introduces the boys to the court, He has a New York accent. You know, one of these people that live on thoidy tree and thoid street? I'm going to the pak to get watta from the rivva.

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Uh… did you say ‘utes’?
    Vinny Gambini: Yeah, two 'utes.
    Judge Chamberlain Haller: What is a 'ute?
    Vinny Gambini: Oh, excuse me, your honor…Two youths.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I have been teasing about the "ute". There is a movie titled "My Cousin Vinny" stars Joe Pesci playing a lawyer from New York. He is defending two young men accused of robbing a gas station. Fred Gwynne plays the part of judge. During his opening comments to the judge Vinny introduces the boys to the court, He has a New York accent. You know, one of these people that live on thoidy tree and thoid street? I'm going to the pak to get watta from the rivva.

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Uh… did you say ‘utes’?
    Vinny Gambini: Yeah, two 'utes.
    Judge Chamberlain Haller: What is a 'ute?
    Vinny Gambini: Oh, excuse me, your honor…Two youths.
    I know the movie well. Its a classic...i particularly like the part Marisa Tomei plays in it.

Apologies to the O.P. Im sure this isn't helping him obtain the information he is after.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Madhan

Tom

Am currently using tap water of 780 TDS ( 450 liters tank) and i just have barbs,rainbows,platies,rams,pleco,otto in my tank. Currently am doing 30% tap water change every week. The plants i have are mosses, java ferns, Anubias etc. with a 2217 canister filter, 24 * 7 cooling fan, CO2 and Light would be automatically switched on at 6 30 PM and switched off at 12 PM ( 5 and half hrs).

Now, am planning to give away 1 pleco fish alone/have all other 27 fishes intact ad introduce 4 discus fishes of 2.75 inches. Iam sure i cant go out to buy local indian breed ( assorted) discus atleast for another 2 to 3 months.

So i have planned to bring down the TDS to 420 range by having 50: 50 ratio of bore/tap and RO water. This will happen only by mid of July. However the water change i do every week 30% will continue with tap water alone.

On July 7 or so all of a sudden on that day, i will introduce the 200 liters ( i.e. the RO water which got added in my couple of 100 liter inflammable plastic tub on every day basis cumulatively) after removing 200 liters from the tank.

The RO unit i have is 8 liters capacity which is for drinking purpose (i.e. https://www.amazon.in/Eureka-Forbes-.../dp/B00HPTMT2G)

I will later (i.e. in the month of July or so) would introduce the 4 discus fishes when the TDS woud be 420.

Post that very slowly i will bring the TDS from 420 to 250 in another couple of months.

Hope this is fine?

Real Name
    Tom

You do know that discus need hot water. Like 84-88. This may be a problem for your rainbows and platties. I know my rainbows couldn’t handle the heat. Next forget the barbs. They have to go. They’re known fin nippers and will harass the discus.
    Next a 30% water change once a week won’t work. You’ll need more like 50% daily being it’s a planted tank. Also you will need to vacume at every water change. Must keep the water clean. Also can your plants take the heat?

Registered Member ericthemantis's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric H

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    I think Dan has already answered this one somewhere on here, but a 'ute' is the abbreviation for utility car...similar to your 'pickup' trucks but smaller.

It surprises me how much interest it gets on here.

Attachment 127252
    Yeah think "el camino", but also, Aussies call a normal pick-up truck a "ute" as well, like a toyota hilux (tacoma and tundra in the US). Spent 2 years in Australia. Always thought it would be cool to buy myself a Pontiac GTO and re-badge it as a Holden Monaro!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Madhan

I talked with multiple discus breeders in chennai, India ( the assorted ones that are breed/brought up in India and not IP) . They are fine for chennai temperature to have tetras,rainbows with discus . Most of the guys recommend 30% water change weekly here but i get your point. I have Anubias,Java Fern ,Mosses as max and these plants are surviving for the last 3 and half years though Anubias doesnt look that healthy.

Real Name
    Tom

When they recommend 30% water changes are they shop owners or keepers. If keeper ask to see pictures of there fish. These fish need clean water. It’s a must! Sellers will tell you you don’t cause they just want to move product. As to plants the java fern won’t take the heat. What kind of rainbows do you have and some tetras can take the heat.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Madhan

1 AxleRodi Rainbow
    1 Bosemani Rainbow
    2 Threadfin Rainbows

2 Ember tetras
    1 Cardinal tetra
    1 Rummy Nose tetra
    2 White Widow Tetras
    2 Red Eye Ballon Tetras

1 otto
    1 pleco ( normal not brittlenose)

4 danio zebras
    2 platies

3 Rams ( 1 yellow and 2 blue)

1 Danison Barb
    1 Green Tiger barb
    2 Cherry barbs

2 Asian Glass Cat fishes

Total: 29 Fishes

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Madhan

Also they are neither shop owner or keeper but breeders based out of India.

Real Name
    Tom

What size tank is this? You know a common pleco can get to 13” and is a waste machine? Of the fish you have most will not do well on the discus warm water. 84-86 degrees. They may live but they will have shorter lives. Your in a whole different direction than discus. Why not try angelfish. With that pleco you will need 2 weekly water changes of 50%.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Madhan

As i mentioned earlier my tank size is 4 * 2 * 2 feet , 450 liters and am planning to give away my pleco. I love discus fish and not a fan of Angel. Also, Chennai city( India) is a warm place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12