ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Is this normal behaviour?

Registered Member

Default Is this normal behaviour?

I purchased my first ever discus from Hans 16 months ago. Out of the (8) 4" Leopard SnakesSkins I purchased I may have three pairs. Recently I purchased a hand full of 29's and moved the suspected pairs to their new homes. So far I have not had any luck, eggs get eaten and when I use an egg guard they just appear to be unfertilized. Today I caught a pair in the act which gave me a change to turn the air and water flow completely off for a few hours (Central sump for 8 breeder tanks). I am trying to rule that there could be too much current. I mix RO and Tap water bringing the TDS to 55, KH 1, GH 3 and PH 6.8

I made a short video and hope to learn if this is normal behavior for a pair laying eggs.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Is this normal behaviour?

Hey Richard ,
    That looks like normal egg laying IMO..
    Are you sure one is a male ? Sorry if that seems a stupid question but to females might do the same thing .
    When you use the egg guard you add it after you see them spawn correct ? If so it would not have any impact on fertility or fungus as long as they can still fan the eggs through it .
    Nice pair !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Hey Richard ,
    That looks like normal egg laying IMO..
    Are you sure one is a male ? Sorry if that seems a stupid question but to females might do the same thing .
    When you use the egg guard you add it after you see them spawn correct ? If so it would not have any impact on fertility or fungus as long as they can still fan the eggs through it .
    Nice pair !
    Correct, I use the egg guard after they spawn.
    I am not sure if this is a male, the same happens with all three "pairs" laying eggs though. I guess it is possible for all of them being females but what would be the chance....

Registered Member

I covered last weeks spawn and added a little bit of methylene blue. After 40 hours all eggs were covered in a layer of fungus.
    Last Friday the same pair spawned again. This time I covered the eggs and added a full doze of Methylene Blue. This morning, 40 hours after the spawn (water at 84 degrees)….eggs.jpg

I started a drip with aged water hoping to remove most of the methylene blue by the time the eggs hatch.

Real Name
    Willie

Congratulations, Richard! While there's a tendency in the hobby to embrace the newest strains from Asia, the more experienced hobbyists know that Stendkers will always spawn. You did a great job raising them and you're on your way to the most fun part of keeping discus. Just some thoughts as the other ones pair off and spawn.

1. I've had Stendkers succeed only after the 10th spawn, so patience is a virtue. I've never had a pair of discus succeed on the first try.
    2. Fertility will only increase as the male fully matures.
    3. The idea that water current reduces fertility is unproven. I've had more than one pair that regularly spawn on the uplift tube of a HOB filter, right under the outflow!
    4. I've used methylene blue, malachite green and various API products to prevent fungus. Honestly, I'm not convinced any of them made a difference. (For angelfish spawns, I put the spawn into straight tap water and let chlorine control the fungus. Obviously that wouldn't work for discus spawns.) Of course, there's no harm in trying except the silicone in your breeding tank will turn blue.
    5. When they hatch, it's time to set up the baby brine shrimp hatchery!

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.