ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Freshwater exotics, anyone used them before?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Default Freshwater exotics, anyone used them before?

Hello, has anyone used freshwater exotics [https://freshwaterexotics.com] and how did it go? was shipping good?

I'm hoping to get some angelfish from them in a few months and thought i'd do some research on them. Only supplier of the species I want at the moment.

I would love to get into discus but right now I am more focused on angels, If I can't get angels I may try discus...

Thanks!
    Last edited by FinalFins; 03-28-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Freshwater exotics, anyone used them before?

They're based in Green Bay, so only 5 hours out of the Twin Cities. The woman who runs the show (and star in the YouTube videos) spoke at our club very recently. She brought over a bunch of fish to donate to the club and I was able to snag a wild caught L-333 pleco. She seems very sincere and helpful. In addition to fish, they're setting up expedition trips up the Amazon.

A good friend of mine pre-ordered a number of South American cichlids from her. In a batch of twelve, there were two he thought were poor quality. When they spoke on the phone, she offered to replace them and covered the freight. He was overwhelmed with the offer since he never even suggested having them replaced. At the end, she replaced the fish and he covered the freight charges. They did airport-to-airport, which is the cheapest and quickest, and he was very happy with the results.

My fishroom is full now. If I ever want to get into wild discus, I'd invest in the drive time to hand pick them.

Hope that helps, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I have watched a few of their expedition vids, which look legit & amazing, but I've never ordered from them...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    They're based in Green Bay, so only 5 hours out of the Twin Cities. The woman who runs the show (and star in the YouTube videos) spoke at our club very recently. She brought over a bunch of fish to donate to the club and I was able to snag a wild caught L-333 pleco. She seems very sincere and helpful. In addition to fish, they're setting up expedition trips up the Amazon.

A good friend of mine pre-ordered a number of South American cichlids from her. In a batch of twelve, there were two he thought were poor quality. When they spoke on the phone, she offered to replace them and covered the freight. He was overwhelmed with the offer since he never even suggested having them replaced. At the end, she replaced the fish and he covered the freight charges. They did airport-to-airport, which is the cheapest and quickest, and he was very happy with the results.

My fishroom is full now. If I ever want to get into wild discus, I'd invest in the drive time to hand pick them.

Hope that helps, Willie
    Thank you, definitely helps in my choice for vendors

danotaylor their expedition videos are very amazing for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Hope that helps, Willie
    Thanks for the thorough review here @Willie. Im thinking of buying a few of the wild Alenquer from this company and came here to ask if anyone had ordered from them. This gives me some more comfort in doing so. I wish I was close enough to pick out-- but, sadly, no. I did ask them for a video of fish will be receiving.

Registered Member

I recently ordered a few plecos (green phantoms and sunshine pleco) from them in early April. From start to finish they were a pleasure to deal with and very knowledgeable. Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond our control the shipment were delayed all in the shipment were DOA. Due to the current pandemic and cold spell the delay was deadly for all the fish. Jaime was pleasant and responsible and refunded me all the money including shipping costs. The package itself was done well with no leaks. The specimens appeared to be very high quality and were much bigger than stated size on their website. They were selling the green phantoms for $30 for 3 inch but the received specimens were easily 5-6 inches and very fat. I have no hesitation in dealing with them again because I believe they do stand behind their product and my unfortunate situation was not their fault.