ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quarantine tank size

Registered Member

Default Re: Quarantine tank size

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    This is a common strategy for African cichlids along with overstocking .
    I am not sure how the round fish will appreciate constant current .Real river fish are torpedo shaped ...
    Torpedo is true, Tom. Yet I have watched several YouTube video to notice that wild Discus do live in river currents. Reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI3ZR84rjvQ

Using this as an example I installed the wave maker. Since then the smallest of my fish, one who spent it's life behind a branch, came out of hiding and is now swimming all over the tank. It enjoys swimming in the current caused by the wave maker snatching food as it flies by. The fish is eating more food than ever before. Two other large males spent most of their time fighting. Now seldom do they fight and sometimes even show mating signals. Now I am worried that they might be the gay. Try the wave maker, they are not expensive. If you angle it up the waves created will serve to aerate as well. My son, Little Ricky, may have been right. The fish seem distracted from fighting so often because they are too busy swimming in the current and looking for the food they find there. By the way 24C is 75F, as noted in the video. A moderate current and 75F water temp may be an answer? I lowered the temp to 82. I may try for 78F next week to see what happens.
    Last edited by peewee1; 06-03-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Torpedo is true, Tom. Yet I have watched several YouTube video to notice that wild Discus do live in river currents. Reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI3ZR84rjvQ

Using this as an example I installed the wave maker. Since then the smallest of my fish, one who spent it's life behind a branch, came out of hiding and is now swimming all over the tank. It enjoys swimming in the current caused by the wave maker snatching food as it flies by. The fish is eating more food than ever before. Two other large males spent most of their time fighting. Now seldom do they fight and sometimes even show mating signals. Now I am worried that they might be the gay. Try the wave maker, they are not expensive. If you angle it up the waves created will serve to aerate as well. My son, Little Ricky, may have been right. The fish seem distracted from fighting so often because they are too busy swimming in the current and looking for the food they find there. By the way 24C is 75F, as noted in the video. A moderate current and 75F water temp may be an answer? I lowered the temp to 82. I may try for 78F next week to see what happens.
    Thanks peewee1! I’ll definitely try this.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucasbuck2826 View Post
    Thanks peewee1! I’ll definitely try this.
    Another benefit of the wave maker has to do with food distribution. I have read posts that ask what can be done about floating freeze dry black worms or how to get food to all fish in the tank. The wave maker fixes those concerns. The freeze dried worms quickly float to the wave maker. The wave maker sucks them in then blows them out into the current. Now those worms are everywhere in the tank. Same with other foods. The pellets that tend to go quickly to the bottom are picked up the the current and then redistributed everywhere in the tank. Everyone gets food! It's up high, it's down low. Little fish, slow fish, shy fish all get a shot at the food. Even the lowly cory cats get the food.

Real Name
    Willie

I use a wavemaker in tanks with 6" or larger discus. I've tried it with 2" discus and they get blown around, so likely not enjoying it. It's also better in a 4' tank or longer. There seems to be too much turbulence in a 3' tank. I don't recall the brand, but the wavemaker I like is affixed by an outside magnet. The ones with rubber suction cups stop sticking after a year or so when the rubber hardens.

All my tanks have sponge filters. I position the wavemaker directly above a sponge and the bubbles are blown clear across a 4' tank. The wavemaker is pointed toward the bottom of the opposite wall and an infinite number of tiny bubbles rise constantly. It has the advantage of being a good look too.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Frank

Enjoyed the video.
    Which wave maker do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Enjoyed the video.
    Which wave maker do you recommend?
    SunSun but note the size before ordering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12