AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Difficulty difference between wild VS. Domestic strains?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Default Difficulty difference between wild VS. Domestic strains?

How hard are wild discus (excluding heckels) such as wild RSG or wild Curipera compared to domestic strains of discus such as Cobalt and Turqs?

And how hard are heckels compared to non-heckel wilds? Not regarding the low pH needs.
    Last edited by FinalFins; 03-31-2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Difficulty difference between wild VS. Domestic strains?

Hey Jay. I recognize your name from another forum. Thing with wild discus is they are hard to come by. Those selling usually want top dollar. Modern discus do seem easier to care for. I had wilds in the 80s,90s. Wasn’t much meds out then so they were hard to keep. Water changes and getting them to eat was what you needed to do. Many more foods out there now than then. I fed live black worms for the longest time but they just had to much bad stuff in them to keep my fish alive for more than a year or two. Again things are different now and they may be easier to keep. Others will come on here to give more advice. Something else there are many modern discus that still look wild. Coral now has some quarter to half dollar sized ones. Sorry forgot the name of them but they are really nice looking discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

I have a couple sellers listed in my book, so sourcing them won't be a problem, and I understand that they usually want from 75-200 per fish.

I believe coral's are santarems? I would get them but for my first discus I would rather it be larger ones, just to keep the headaches away.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Figured I'd bump this so I can collect more input?

Registered Member

I wish when I first began keeping and breeding Discus, before the internet and when only wild fish were available, that I knew then that they were this difficult to keep. I might not have kept them. When did these fish become "difficult"? This was a time when I could put 2 fish into a 20 gallon tank, put enough peat moss into the filter to turn the water brown, no test kit, and maybe change the water when the thought occurred to me. Blended beef heart with vitamins and some kind of gold fish color liquid and had constant spawns both often and always. It seems to me that this has become either over thought or over engineered somewhere along the way. I have said before if something is inbred enough times, example King Tut and clan or why you are not allowed to marry your sister of first cousin, that certainly there are going to be undesirable genetic consequences.