AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pathogens ?

Registered Member

Default Re: Pathogens ?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    What you're describing is an experience that we've all had before. The more advanced a hobbyist you are, the more disease you've had to deal with. Back in the 90's, a discus plague was raging through the hobby. Bringing in unquarantined fish often resulted in wiping out the entire fish room. It's happened to me and I know it's happened to many others. So for us, quarantine becomes the default. In my case, it's a strict 6-week quarantine for discus. I once broke quarantine because a pair formed and spawned. That was a BIG mistake....

In practical terms, what it means is that you have an entire tank dedicated to every single purchase. Don't buy a single specimen because it's a beautiful specimen. Plan ahead and buy your discus in batches. The tank should be big enough that you can grow out the fish for as long as you need to.

I still have a quarantine tank which is used primarily as a hospital tank. I can crank the temp to 95F and salt heavily if necessary. I can use it as either a 10-gal or 20-gal quarantine depending on how many fish are sick. One of my altum angels that started losing finnage went through it three weeks ago. After a full course of metro and erythromycin, the fish was back in excellent health and the finnage is growing back. Between treatments, the tank just has straight tap water running without dechlor. Last week, I got a batch of German Blue Rams. They're sitting in quarantine right now.

Willie
    valuable information. Thanks, Willie!

Registered Member

I would give some Discus to our club member and within a couple weeks they
    would call me to say the Discus are either sick or dead what's wrong with the Discus
    they got from me. My answer would usually
    be come over look at the same batch in the
    same tank nothing is wrong. They just mix dirty Discus in with my fish. I haven't use any
    medication in the last 12 years all are homebred disease free. I'll send a batch
    to Asia, they are looking for clean Discus.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-05-2020 at 12:32 PM.

What strains are you breeding, Cliff? Do you have a website or sell on AB?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What strains are you breeding, Cliff? Do you have a website or sell on AB?
    Liz,
    Currently my breeding pairs are basically Red and
    Blue Turquoise, Red Marlboro and LSS. I currently am not running my website,
    I did have an ad in Aquarium Fish Magazine
    at one time. Currently all of the Discus are
    going to the brokers. I don't buy to resell only interest in breeding.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-06-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Well, rats! I'm looking for a group of blue LSS with good potential. Can't find what I want anywhere. You know so much. When you have something to say I pay attention. I was hoping you would come along and save the day. Oh well...
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    What you're describing is an experience that we've all had before. The more advanced a hobbyist you are, the more disease you've had to deal with. Back in the 90's, a discus plague was raging through the hobby. Bringing in unquarantined fish often resulted in wiping out the entire fish room. It's happened to me and I know it's happened to many others. So for us, quarantine becomes the default. In my case, it's a strict 6-week quarantine for discus. I once broke quarantine because a pair formed and spawned. That was a BIG mistake....

In practical terms, what it means is that you have an entire tank dedicated to every single purchase. Don't buy a single specimen because it's a beautiful specimen. Plan ahead and buy your discus in batches. The tank should be big enough that you can grow out the fish for as long as you need to.

I still have a quarantine tank which is used primarily as a hospital tank. I can crank the temp to 95F and salt heavily if necessary. I can use it as either a 10-gal or 20-gal quarantine depending on how many fish are sick. One of my altum angels that started losing finnage went through it three weeks ago. After a full course of metro and erythromycin, the fish was back in excellent health and the finnage is growing back. Between treatments, the tank just has straight tap water running without dechlor. Last week, I got a batch of German Blue Rams. They're sitting in quarantine right now.

Willie
    Thanks, Willie! Actually, I am a believer in a long quarantine. But, because I know Tom’s superb reputation as a breeder, and the rate at which his young Discus were growing in my QT tank, I shortened their stay in it. I believe, also, that regardless of how long you keep fish in QT, that it’s equally important that the tank they are destined for is healthy. I believed my 75g Discus tank was healthy, although some months ago I had treated it with Metro for suspected flageolets. Because I wanted to be sure that the 6discus I got from Tom would not spend weeks in QT, just to be exposed to something new when moved to the 75g, I had prepared the QT tank with water from the 75g. Then once the Santerams arrived I had. schedule of cleaning the 75g in the morning (do at least a 75% WC), and then in the afternoon I would clean and change the water in the QT tank (again, approx. 75%)replacing half the water I had removed with fresh tap water, and half with the clean, circulated water from the 75g. I had also set up the hob filter on the QT tank with seasoned media from the 75g. When 3 weeks went by with no symptoms in the 6 thriving Santerams, I moved them into the 75g - wher they appeared to never skip a beat, until 6 days later when 4 suddenly died within hours of each other. Obviously I didn’t cover all my bases!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]My life is just a series of undocumented OSHA violations....

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I would give some Discus to our club member and within a couple weeks they
    would call me to say the Discus are either sick or dead what's wrong with the Discus
    they got from me. My answer would usually
    be come over look at the same batch in the
    same tank nothing is wrong. They just mix dirty Discus in with my fish. I haven't use any
    medication in the last 12 years all are homebred disease free. I'll send a batch
    to Asia, they are looking for clean Discus.

Cliff
    That’s pretty much what I did with Tom’s Santerams, as the other Discus in my 75g are from an online supplier who used to get his fish from local breeders, but had changed to Asian imports by the time I got roped in by his lower prices. I feel terrible that I sacrificed 4 beautiful, well-bred, healthy discus by mixing them!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]My life is just a series of undocumented OSHA violations....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12