AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wild Discus labelled as Caori Green

Registered Member

Default Wild Discus labelled as Caori Green

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on the forum but I have been a stalker for quite a while
    I have recently over the past month or so been getting more into discus and researching them more and more. I am not new when it comes to fish keeping. I have kept man species of Central and South American cichlids including Pterophyllum Altum.

My water parameters out of my tap are; ph: between 6.0-6.5, gH: 3, kH: 0-1.

I have recently had some room open up in my 75G tank and would love to be able to add a group of wild discus. The only other inhabitants in the tank are a group of 6 Mesonauta Festivum. Here in Australia wild discus are hard to come by and a aquarium has listed some as Caori Green Wild Discus. I have tried to research this type / colour way of discus through google and so far have had no luck with finding any information. If anyone could provide any information or photos of these fish / tips with wild discus I will greatly appreciate that. I have included a photo of what the seller has listed with the fish mentioned above.
    Caori Green.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Wild Discus labelled as Caori Green

Looks very much like a color variant of wild Santarem discus .
    https://santaremdiscusplus.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    How interesting. I wasn’t sure as I can’t find any information online under “Caori Green” they are listed on the website at 3.5inches

Registered Member

Caori could be a made up name? Or the name of a breeder who developed the fish?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Caori could be a made up name? Or the name of a breeder who developed the fish?
    I am not sure tbh. They are listed as wild, I am not well versed with discus enough to tell what type or locality it is from by looking at the image

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looks like a wild fish to me, as for the collection point, that's anyone's guess! Does look like a brown based, but depending in how settled it, possibly a green...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Looks like a wild fish to me, as for the collection point, that's anyone's guess! Does look like a brown based, but depending in how settled it, possibly a green...
    Thank you for the response, I was looking for either green or brown wild discus so maybe I will take the plunge and get a group of 5 or so of these

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

There are green discus from the Coari region according to Hudson Crizanto Gonçalves‎ who is a wild discus exporter. According to Hudson they are had a more reddish/orange cast to their base body color. You can find Hudson on Facebook and he has a recent post with pictures in the SimplyDiscus group on FB.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    There are green discus from the Coari region according to Hudson Crizanto Gonçalves‎ who is a wild discus exporter. According to Hudson they are had a more reddish/orange cast to their base body color. You can find Hudson on Facebook and he has a recent post with pictures in the SimplyDiscus group on FB.
    Pat
    Thank you for that! My top preference were Tefe Green discus, or more so anything by Heckel to start with. I think that I might buy a group of 5 to try out for my first discus group

Real Name
    Willie

There are wild caught discus and wild type discus, the latter may be F1 through F20 from wild parents. Its not clear whether that distinction is important to you. As Pat said, Caori Greens have been imported for many years. Like anything wild caught, quality is going to vary from year to year, and throughout the season. Usually the best time to get wild discus, altum angels, wild caught tetras, etc. is in the Fall. The collection season is in late Summer and fish you get in September has been in transit a minimum amount of time and the selection is better as well. A wild caught fish you buy today has been held for eight months, and not always under optimal conditions.

There's no way to determine whether that particular picture is wild caught and wild type. I'd suspect the latter because it's a superior specimen. Wild caughts usually have irregular finnage from predation and are not nearly as plump. But that's just a wild a*s guess. Wild caughts are typically a little more difficult to raise than tank raised wild type discus. They often will not eat dry foods and carry more parasites.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.