AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Question of possible internal parasites.

Registered Member

Default Question of possible internal parasites.

So sometimes my discus have normal brown feces and sometimes get a white poop. Could this be Hexamita or is this normal? It is not stringy and tansucenr when occurs, but curious. All eat well a combination of flake, small pellets, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen beef heart, and occasionally live black worms. No darkness in color to discus but just maybe early stages. A8517B86-F9A9-4F88-A383-2873B8003A31.jpeg I have attached a file of a current one.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Question of possible internal parasites.

That looks like stringy white poop to me. The fish is stunted, so a course of metronidazole in a quarantine tank may be worth it.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Btw...water parameters ph6.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <10. Weekly 40% water change with remineralized RO/DI to maintain ph. Heavily planted and carpeted tank with about an inch of fluorite.

Registered Member

Thank you. That is what I was thinking to be safe. Just strange that the very next time may be brown and normal looking. wanted to get a second opinion before unnecessarily medicating. Would you suggest the water treatment of metro or the feeding treatment?

Real Name
    Willie

The fish needs to go into a quarantine tank for treatment. It won't work in a big planted tank. Dosing the water will work fine, but you must follow the directions on the package exactly.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The fish needs to go into a quarantine tank for treatment. It won't work in a big planted tank. Dosing the water will work fine, but you must follow the directions on the package exactly.

Good luck, Willie
    Thank you. Will go that route.