ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can We Make Discus Keeping more Environmentally Friendly

Default Re: Can We Make Discus Keeping more Environmentally Friendly

My pressure is pretty good, Tom. Just under 70 PSI.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

That is pretty good ! The upgrade may work fine for you then as you are not wasting much probably..
    Hopefully this video is helpful ; https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...ade-kit-brstv/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

I'm new to the SD site, but I saw this thread and thought it would be interesting......looks like I was right! I love a good debate and conversation, as long as it's civil, productive and gives food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm not Pete, but the answer is that growing meat is way much more of a strain on the environment that raising food crops for humans.
    I disagree with this 100%. I don't believe for a minute that 1000 acres of grassland, steppe, or forest that has been cleared, plowed and turned into a wheat field has less environmental strain than putting a herd of cattle onto that same piece of raw property. The wheat field will support a fraction of the wildlife that the raw land will. I believe that crop farming in general is very destructive to the environment. Between the stripping of the land and the application of pesticides/herbicides, it doesn't support much except the crop that is grown there.

In regards to RO units and the waste water, I have a question for all of you. Whether you run the waste down the drain which leads to a municipal sewer system or septic system, or out onto the ground, is that water really being wasted? Municipal sewer systems treat and either reuse the water or pump it back into a body of water. Septic systems clean the water and it eventually ends up in the ground where it should eventually end up back in the water table, same with discharging the RO water back to the ground. So is any of this water really wasted?

These are just my opinions and thoughts, not trying to offend anyone or step on anyone's toes.

Good post, Scott. We encourage different opinions. What we don't allow are posts that offend. I used to love a good form fight over different opinions. I don't why on earth I felt so high and mighty back then.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Actually, this is a very interesting question. There is been very little innovation in the discus world for the last induration.

Salt water enthusiasts have demanded more energy efficient filtration systems, more efficient refrigeration and a switch from metal how lights to LEDs. These changes were in response to the high cost of electricity - little thought to the environment. Given the fact that aquatic hobby represents a minuscule proportion of damage to the environment, there is no incentive whatsoever make the hobby more environmentally friendly. Far as I am concerned there are many bigger more important fish to fry

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The best approach is reduce the environmental impact is to give up keeping discus. After that, get rid of the SUV, take the bus and move into an apartment.
    Excellent ideal. I don't own any SUV and when the weather is good, I walk, cycling to work and I live in a small house. I guess I am good to keep discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12