ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My next step?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Default My next step?

Hi,
    I have just initiated a new tank four days ago. It’s 135 litres in clean volume. I have added thin layer (2.5cm or 1”) of pool filter sand as substrate and added some water with appropriate amount of prime.

My ultimate goal is to have two to three discus with some hardy plants and some driftwood. no C02, low tech.

I want to just to start off with some cheap rainbows and see how the tank behaves itself over the next six months trying to get a good balance. Then I will look to add three discus following a six week quarantine procedure. Is this a good idea? I’m not sure.
    I have kept Discus before but over the long term you could say i failed. I had some good periods but was eventually I had a bacterial infection go from one fish to the next in the tank. I had Discus going dark, hiding in the corner, very skinny, fungus infections present. Eventually they succumbed as did all the fish. It was hard to take and the tank lay dormant for six years until now. I don’t want history repeating. Back then I had 2 to 3” thick substrate, iron balls, CO2 injected planted aquarium. I most likely didn’t change my water often enough and fed my discus too many frozen blood worms looking back in hindsight.

Today I have just planted a few plants but the tank is still maturing. I have invested in a Fluval light and filter. What do you think of my goal and what would be the standard steps in setting up a discus tank? I haven’t tested my water yet but will do tomorrow.

Also, given that the tank is in its infancy an I just quarantine the rainbows in the tank itself?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: My next step?

I think one general recommendation you're going to get is that most recommend having 5-6 discus to start with. This helps to spread out aggression and help the fish feel more secure.

The problem with QT in your eventual display tank would be what if the rainbows have something? You may need to totally deconstruct your display to clean and start over depending on what is brought in.

HTH

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Adam, you will find most here will recommend getting a group of six discus to help spread the aggression across the group and your tank at about 35 gallons is not really large enough for a group of six discus (10 gallons per adult discus). I would suggest you read thru the beginners section of the forum. As a starting point you might consider watching the video in the first post of this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...CH-THIS-VIDEO!.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Thanks guys. That’s a bummer. I don’t have a bigger tank due to space constraints. Should I cancel my membership now or later?

Real Name
    Mervin

Stay tuned in. Some day you may have the space and equipment to keep discus properly.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adsye View Post
    Thanks guys. That’s a bummer. I don’t have a bigger tank due to space constraints. Should I cancel my membership now or later?
    Four fish would work with 135 liters. I've got 6 living in 113.5 liters and lot of experience but I do think that 4 would be okay if you kept up with water changes with minimum sand and plants or no plants and sand at all.

Real Name
    Mervin

I would not keep no less than six young discus at the minimum. More if you can. 4 is not a good number nor 3 nor 2 when young. They compete too much at that age. They also feel safer in the larger groups and not so skittish.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

What is the limitation, L across the front or W (how far out from the wall). If L then you can fit up to a 65 gal in essentially the same space although W and H is greater. Then you can have 6 discus and not worry about crowding. They are also a more vertical fish so will not object to this configuration in a 65. Of course budget might be an issue. Also you would have the 35 as a quarantine/hospital tank or you could with the right stand use it as a sump and put even more fish in the 65. I have to agree that there is no good way to keep discus in a 35, sorry. You might get lucky and get 4 very mild mannered B personality discus, but unlikely.

I couldn't tell from the pic if that was an integrated tank and stand or just a matching hood for the tank.

Peewee, commend your dedication, just FMI, how often and what % are you changing water and are you growing out or are your fish adult?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    What is the limitation, L across the front or W (how far out from the wall). If L then you can fit up to a 65 gal in essentially the same space although W and H is greater. Then you can have 6 discus and not worry about crowding. They are also a more vertical fish so will not object to this configuration in a 65. Of course budget might be an issue. Also you would have the 35 as a quarantine/hospital tank or you could with the right stand use it as a sump and put even more fish in the 65. I have to agree that there is no good way to keep discus in a 35, sorry. You might get lucky and get 4 very mild mannered B personality discus, but unlikely.

I couldn't tell from the pic if that was an integrated tank and stand or just a matching hood for the tank.

Peewee, commend your dedication, just FMI, how often and what % are you changing water and are you growing out or are your fish adult?
    Thanks for asking. I had been changing 100% per week. But because of what I am reading on the forum I have upped the changes to around 110% per week. Added is heavy aeration and filtering at 300 gallons per hour. This allows me 5 fully grown Discus plus one little fellow who seems to run the show for the time being in the 30 gallon tank.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Thanks, are you following Nitrates? Something else? I am always curious what drives folks decisions in re frequency/volume of WCs.

Real Name
    Tom

Well being your just starting yeah 2 or 3 will be fine. These fish can be hard to keep and will need a lot of time. So instead of investing in 6 only to find out it’s not for you yes try 2 or 3 and see how you like them and if you’re committed. Then if all’s good you want you can up your numbers.

Is this your first tank? Or another tank?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    Thanks, are you following Nitrates? Something else? I am always curious what drives folks decisions in re frequency/volume of WCs.
    I think that water changes are something that you develop a sense for frequency. The smaller the space plus the higher the fish count would suggest to change more often. Your water chemistry should indicate where you are at with respect to change cycle.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Heya Tom,

Thanks mate. It's not my first tank. i have kept fish off and on for 35 years or so. I have had Discus previously but got wiped out by disease.

Cheers

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

I have taken your advice and bought a new tank. I have irrationally decided to spend my rent money and buy a 150 gallon tank that is designed to do it properly. Hopefully i don't stuff it up this time.

The other tank can be my rainbow tank or quarantine.

There will be a fair bit of setting up with this one.

Cheers

Real Name
    Tom

Congrats on the new tank!! I think your committed!! . 150 is a nice tank.
    What are your plans now?