ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To discus or not to discus?

Registered Member

Default To discus or not to discus?

I am in the process of setting up another 125 gallon aquarium but not yet committed to stocking. Although I've been keeping tropicals for about 50 years I have NEVER kept discus. So, I spent the last couple of days doing research, and reading books. To say I am confused is an understatement.

It's too late to go "bare bottomed" with the tank because it's already covered in sand, and after hours of washing and placing I'm not about to take it out. Besides, about half say go BB, while others say it doesn't matter.

You have to do a 25% water change AT LEAST twice a week or your fish will die within seconds? Uh huh. In my experience large, well planted, and well balanced tanks do NOT need frequent water changes, and I've no plans to contribute to the ammonia problem by overpopulating, overfeeding, and etc. As a matter of fact I was thinking about maybe 8 juvenile discus, or adults, depending on which "expert" I'm reading, along with about 30 cardinal tetras, cory cats, and a few other odds and ends said to be compatible with the "kings of the aquarium." Plenty of room left for swimming and other Discus fun.

I can deal with keeping the tank at 82-86 degrees, but can't worry every five minutes if my "kings" are going to turn black and go fins down because I've forgotten to feed them ground beef heart a couple of times a week.

Finally, it is true that they are so shy you rarely see them except at feeding time? If I can't see the King how do I know I have a King?

In conclusion my question is to the Discus folk that might haunt this thread: is it worth it and if so what are your thoughts? All comments much appreciated.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: To discus or not to discus?

This is our bible for discus. The best version so far. I've been keeping fish as long as you. Discus are not the same, believe me. Young discus will not get to their potential in a tank like your set up. I have 125 gal. 25% WC will not be enough. Also it would be better to grow them out in a smaller tank of their own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3...ature=emb_logo

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

The general adage is that it's easy to keep discus, but it's hard to grow them out. They're pretty hardy fish, so no, they won't die if you don't change 25% twice per week. In fact, this is probably how the average home hobbyist keeps them. Sure, they'll do well but won't grow out to their full potential. I started out by keeping discus in a planted tank, and they didn't grow a single inch. Contrast that to my second try in a bb tank, and they grew a few inches. In my opinion, getting discus to grow is like trying to gain muscle as a skinny guy. You have to give them the best possible environment to grow, which explains the massive water changes. They're much different from the average tropical fish where you can just dump food in the tank and expect them to grow.

Of course, if you're willing to spend more to buy adults then you won't have to go through the pains of constant water changes. With 25% weekly water changes in a 125, you can easily keep a group of six inch adults happy.

Discus are very personable fish, they'll literally greet you when you approach the tank. The only reason they would be shy is if they're new or diseased. The belief that they're shy probably comes from discus keepers who have diseased fish. I can attest to this as I have two "diseased" discus in a separate tank who hide any time I enter the room.

Although it's the preferred feed of discus keepers, there's no need to feed frozen beefheart. They can easily get by on the better pellet foods on the market. The quality of food is less important than the water conditions you give them. As long as you keep the water clean, they'll eat.

I believe the "king of the aquarium" is worth keeping. I've found their colors and agreeable personalities to be very rewarding.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    The general adage is that it's easy to keep discus, but it's hard to grow them out. They're pretty hardy fish, so no, they won't die if you don't change 25% twice per week. In fact, this is probably how the average home hobbyist keeps them. Sure, they'll do well but won't grow out to their full potential. I started out by keeping discus in a planted tank, and they didn't grow a single inch. Contrast that to my second try in a bb tank, and they grew a few inches. In my opinion, getting discus to grow is like trying to gain muscle as a skinny guy. You have to give them the best possible environment to grow, which explains the massive water changes. They're much different from the average tropical fish where you can just dump food in the tank and expect them to grow.

Of course, if you're willing to spend more to buy adults then you won't have to go through the pains of constant water changes. With 25% weekly water changes in a 125, you can easily keep a group of six inch adults happy.

Discus are very personable fish, they'll literally greet you when you approach the tank. The only reason they would be shy is if they're new or diseased. The belief that they're shy probably comes from discus keepers who have diseased fish. I can attest to this as I have two "diseased" discus in a separate tank who hide any time I enter the room.

Although it's the preferred feed of discus keepers, there's no need to feed frozen beefheart. They can easily get by on the better pellet foods on the market. The quality of food is less important than the water conditions you give them. As long as you keep the water clean, they'll eat.

I believe the "king of the aquarium" is worth keeping. I've found their colors and agreeable personalities to be very rewarding.
    Well said. Unfortunately new hobbyists read this statement to be that it's okay to do 25% weekly water changes, when you said it's only okay for 6-inch adults. An adult discus will run $140+, so a group can run $800+. People buy 6 X 2" fish instead. Not only will young discus not grow, they won't even survive in a planted tank. Also, the 25% weekly water change schedule gets dropped after the second water change. I usually don't recommend people keeping discus unless they're committed to water changes. It's easier on the fish that way...

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Yeah, I do concur that my post was misleading. I gave the impression that the fishkeeper could get by with minimum water changes to keep discus. And I didn't disclose the price for a quality adult fish. When people are used to buying fish at the regular price and see the $100 price tag for a adult, they'll turn to buying juvies. And as we all know, that spells disaster for a beginning hobbyist. Thanks for chiming in Willie. Sometimes I am too optimistic about things. Well, back to my water change then...

Real Name
    Brendan

It's never too late to go BB . Just need a good wet/dry vac, speaking from experience. BB doesn't have to be as bad or look as bad as you think, with a little creativity. I wouldn't have it any other way than what I have set up now, I get the best of both worlds (see my previous posts). I think if doing regular large WC's sound like work for you instead of enjoyment, maybe look at keeping a lower maintenance fish? I know that might sound weird, but to see crystal clear water to the point where it looks like your fish are floating in mid-air, and also to see them thriving is worth the water. I also recommend making WC's easier on yourself by simplifying the process where possible -e.g. using large pumps and hoses to bring water in and out faster especially on large tanks. Hope that helps, oh, and they are definitely worth it!

Real Name
    Tom

OMG a planted tank!!! Impossible!! 2” will never grow!!!!18CF6339-FCEF-40D9-9165-504A8D7FF531.jpg not in a planted tank!!28ABD76A-9A79-4DC8-A4A8-C2F7BA081A37.jpg. Never never never!!! m

Real Name
    Tom

Ok faruk thing is a planted discus tank is a bit of work. More work than just a discus tank. You know how to grow plants. But not in this way. Plants grow great in clean water. Water changes bring nutrients into the tank daily. A lot of plant keeper go with the never change water approach. That won’t work with discus. Discus especially young discus need lots of fresh water. You can’t do to much. But a minimum of 50% a day is needed at the 2” size. In my first pic you’ll notice there’s not that many plants. I was still figuring out what would work. Notice many of the original plants are gone. They just couldn’t handle the heat. Also you want as much space as possible for your fish. I do vacuuming water changes every other day now. More when they were younger. Young discus eat a ton. I was feeding up to 10 times a day. Shy only come out at feeding? Could be but I was feeding all day long so they are allways out. Like any other pet it how much time you spend with them.

Now this is for young fish. Young fish you train your way. Next is to get older fish at the 6” size and just go from there. These cost much more. Figure $120 a fish before delivery. Older fish may not need all the upkeep but they will not be used to a planted tank. So they may stress. I did buy 2 6” discus when the rest of mine were that size. They worked out. But they were the last to the tank. 12 there allready and used to the tank so after a bit they just followed what the others did. I suggest starting small and doing the work.
    As you can see this is not an approved method hear . Ask questions.

Registered Member

Keep calm :-) You can use all your old fish keeping experience with discus. There is some difference, but not so big.

You have to measure nitrates (NO3) in the water and keep it as low as possible, definitely under 25 mg/l, better under 15 mg/l. You have to watch them and understand possible diseases. Keep at least 20 gallons of water per fish, 25 is better, 30+ save you a lot of work. Check pH and NO3 weekly (more frequently from the beggining). Use a soft water if possible, keep 84 - 86 F and care about oxygen in the water a little bit and they should be fine. Fortunately, with discus it is not typical that yesterday's healthy fish is today suddenly dead. Usualy you have plenty of time to make conditions better and/or to heal. And you can keep small discus in a planted tank...

Real Name
    Bill G.

Discus are not shy overall. Moving slowly will help, but when all is good, they tend to all flock to the corner where they first see me and are actually very tame able. Mine actually eat from my hands and, after getting used to the routines, are not even bothered w WCs and the like. One of the things I most like is the friendliness of these guys.....just like my koi. The other tropicals I’ve kept are far less friendly. The peace and serenity of watching these magnificent fish is unequalled. Lastly.....my three tanks are kept at 86-87 degrees. Unicast’s comments are good, but I’d add that checking KH is also needed. Go for it.....you’ll love it.

Btw.....imho....I’d go w adults in your scenario, not youngsters.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    OMG a planted tank!!! Impossible!! 2” will never grow!!!!18CF6339-FCEF-40D9-9165-504A8D7FF531.jpg not in a planted tank!!28ABD76A-9A79-4DC8-A4A8-C2F7BA081A37.jpg. Never never never!!! m
    They are surviving but will not reach their potential. How long have you had them. https://diskuszucht-stendker.de/plug...sfische_en.pdf

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    OMG a planted tank!!! Impossible!! 2” will never grow!!!! not in a planted tank!. Never never never!!! m
    Let's see the tank again when they reach 5".
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Blue. Why so negative?? There a year old and most over 6”. Blue I’ve been involved with discus since 1989. Back than the goal was The Planted Discus Tank. BB tanks were for breeding. Kinda why anyone who keeps there discus in BB tanks ends up with pair and aggression. Started this tank with a group of about 6-10 others. Of them I’m the only planted tank. Also the only with no aggression or breeding. To me nothing says boring than beautiful discus in a barebottom devoid tank. No I’m not looking for the biggest discus I can grow. I’m looking for a great looking enjoyable tank.
    Yes this may fail somewhere down the line. Anything can fail. I do my best to keep that from happening. My goal is an enjoyable fish tank. I’m a hobbiest not a breeder . Oh and I also keep rcs in my discus tank .

Real Name
    Tom

B770128E-865D-40E0-9365-C350EDEDD597.jpg57CF0E11-D4CF-4DCE-82E1-19CB02E459FA.jpg88971CA8-AA21-49DB-920B-F7246779BB47.jpg there’s some pics of 6+” fish. Please look at my album for more. Yes I do thing different . Oh and what’s the goal with having such big fish anyway?? .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    Discus are not shy overall. Moving slowly will help, but when all is good, they tend to all flock to the corner where they first see me and are actually very tame able. Mine actually eat from my hands and, after getting used to the routines, are not even bothered w WCs and the like. One of the things I most like is the friendliness of these guys.....just like my koi. The other tropicals I’ve kept are far less friendly. The peace and serenity of watching these magnificent fish is unequalled. Lastly.....my three tanks are kept at 86-87 degrees. Unicast’s comments are good, but I’d add that checking KH is also needed. Go for it.....you’ll love it.

Btw.....imho....I’d go w adults in your scenario, not youngsters.
    I tend to water change about the same time every day. As I am pouring in the water they all gather around because they seem to think there is food included along with the new water. I feed them at that time and they do think that water change means food is included.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast