Thread: To discus or not to discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: To discus or not to discus?

Nice tank and Discus Ed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

I was hesistant to agree that discus could be raised in a planted tank, but after looking at your tank I have completely changed my mind. You must have put in regular water changes needed to grow these guys out. Usually the planted tanks that I see all have stunted or emaciated discus, but yours has large round ones. I wish I could have tank as nice as yours. I'm looking at a bare bottom glass tank which is pretty boring to be honest. I sure miss having lush plants.

By the way, are those stendkers? I recognize the pigeon snakeskin and the blue snakes, but I don't know that they had red alenquers. Anyways, congrats on your success in the planted tank. You've proved me wrong.

Real Name
    Mervin

//

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Attachment 127328Attachment 127329Attachment 127330 there’s some pics of 6+” fish. Please look at my album for more. Yes I do thing different . Oh and what’s the goal with having such big fish anyway?? .
    They do appear healthy. Pics can be misleading. Maybe it's the 5-6 foot tank they're in and they appear smaller.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes it’s a 5’ 125. I have to get close to get them to size. But they’re mostly 6+”. The red and brown ones I bought from uncle sams as the last 2. The brown was 6” the red 5.5”. Both of them have hardly grown but all the rest have surpassed them. Those 2 are Asian and seem to have a much thicker slime coat. Being I got them at that size the planted tank is probably hardest on them. Full grown and never being around this is probably harder to do. This is why I suggest young 2” fish. Let them grow in the environment and they’ll be used to it.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Tom, you are quite the iconoclast. Very Impressive. So what was your feeding regimen when they were 2 inch fish. Get 5x/d but exactly what did you feed. Also if you don't mind sharing, how many fish did you originally start out with. Feel free to also share any lessons learned, or any other details the would help others reproduce your results. Esthetically I am not a fan of BB austere tanks but had pretty much decided that in order to grow out juveniles successfully that was the only option. Because of that I had also decided to go with adults from the beginning, which in some ways didn't seem like as much fun. Your tank argues for an alternative method. Thanks, Don

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Also, what are you using for lighting?

Real Name
    Tom

Lol iconoclast! I’m a construction worker I had to look that up. Wow!! Hey I’m just a hobbiest! I’ve had fish since I was 12. Started discus in 89 and kept them till 04 when my 200g tank broke. Kept fish after but as the discus died off I never replaced. Came back to discus last year. Talking to people on another forum I started again. Keeping fish and understanding fish is needed before getting into plant and of course discus. But you have to be a plant keeper first to start a planted discus tank.
    Feeding was almost all freeze dried black worms. As many as 10 times a day. Other things fed were a flake food mix of blackworm flakes nutri-diet flakes and any other flakes I had. These are fed once daily. As treats frozen blood worms brime shrimp. Also once or twice a week frozen beef heart before a water change.
    Till 4” daily vacuuming water changes.
    I started with 6 store bought1-2” discus in a 45g. Bought 2 at a time. Knew the 45 wasn’t going to do it so bought a 125. Got it up and running using most everything from the 45. Once running I moved the discus into the 125 and bought 6 Hans discus. They went into the 45 for a month. Than moved them into the 125. Than 3 month later I bought the 2 US discus. They did the month in the 45 and moved into the 125.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12