AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro's/Con's to treating entire tank with metro

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Default Re: Pro's/Con's to treating entire tank with metro

Yes, I did try feeding - they're still not eating! They used to be so friendly with each other - now the blue one is just claiming his space and any time the purple one comes near, he chases her away, nipping at her. For future reference - what is the safest way to transfer fish from a main tank to a QT tank that is NOT in the same room? I netted them individually and put them in a specimen container filled with their tank water.... while walking to the other room, they both tried jumping out of the container (I had my hand on the top of it luckily)... and they ended up scratching each other... Next time I will transfer one at a time - but any other suggestions? Thank you all!

Real Name
    Tom

I save bags from when I buy fish. I put them in those. How are the rest of your discus?

Real Name
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I save bags from when I buy fish. I put them in those. How are the rest of your discus?
    not a good idea because cross contamination.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

Really? The bags are dried and sitting for 6+ months. Not like I move fish daily.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Everyone is doing well! The guys in QT haven't eaten yet but physically they look good... We will see! Today is day 3 out of their 10 day treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post

Registered Member
    Real Name
    matt

Less is more and keeps fish stress low. In my opinion, Daily large water changes are the number one treatment and preventive treatment for overall fish health. Quarantine any symptomatic fish, as u have. Personally I rarely will use meds because u end up spending more money and time than the fish is worth. Many times diseases are incorrectly diagnosed and treated, putting more stress on the fish, accomplishing nothing but wasting time and money as previously mentioned. Additionally, now u have a fish that will require frequent redosing of meds throughout its life cycle should it recover with the aid of medication. I would not medicate a fish unless u have no other recourse and do so in a separate tank with only symptomatic fish. I am new to the forum, just my two cents from a nurses perspective. best of luck.
    Last edited by icuRN; 04-09-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

The fish have been in QT for 5-6 days now.. I've been dosing daily with metro with water changes daily... THEY ATE TODAY! Woohoo!!

Real Name
    Tom

That's great to hear !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Tom

Glad to here they’re eating!! Let’s see some pics.

icuRN I’m also new here and am with you all the way! I’ve never medicated fish. in un iodized salt is the most I’ll use. Clean water, heat and than salt. There are some good meds out there and the metro she’s using is one. But is it the meds that got the fish eating or the separation in there own tank and less stress than with all the other fish? And thank you icuRN for your help in these troubling times.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Other cons with metronidazole is its solubility in water is very poor, in aquarium settings it has been suggested that it can precipitate out of solution within 6-8 hours, and it can become rather expensive when treating large systems.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ucleus.523470/
    I am a scientist and a surgeon. Just checked with the pharmacy and metronidazole is kept in a saline solution bottle or mini IV bag with a shelf life of 2 years. It is widely used to treat gram negative anaerobic bacteria like c. diff. This is the last time I'll post about metro as I guess monster fish keepers is the authority

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    I am a scientist and a surgeon. Just checked with the pharmacy and metronidazole is kept in a saline solution bottle or mini IV bag with a shelf life of 2 years. It is widely used to treat gram negative anaerobic bacteria like c. diff. This is the last time I'll post about metro as I guess monster fish keepers is the authority
    I appreciate your info Andy and know just how you feel..
    I don't answer questions I don't strongly believe I know the answer to or I add the caveat .. ..
    To be ignored is not my [or your ] loss IMO ..
    I personally would trust your info more then just whoever from another site . It is not often people actually offer their qualifications to answer questions ..
    I usually end with what do I know , or I'll let my fish do the talking ! They say you can lead a keeper to water but you can't make them change it !
    Thanks for the info Andy !
    I believe it is Praziquantel that needs a little vodka to make it soluble ? I never had a problem with Metro myself but Prazi gets vodka to be mixed if I don't use a liquid version of it .
    Last edited by coralbandit; 04-10-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Francis

I am not a scientist/ surgeon from Yale .According to what I have read, learned, and experienced over the*past years.Once you put metronidazole in contact with water, it’s alive or active .I am not talking about metronidazole in a saline solution bottle or min IV bag with shelf life of 2 years.lol
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Acerrato View Post
    The fish have been in QT for 5-6 days now.. I've been dosing daily with metro with water changes daily... THEY ATE TODAY! Woohoo!!
    This is indeed good news! You received some excellent advise for this issue. Just don't expect an immediate recovery. It can take 10 days after treatment for them to act 100% normal...

Real Name
    Steve

Well I am a veterinarian and surgeon. I've been using metronidazole for over 35 years to treat various animal species. You are correct that metronidazole in solution has a shelf life of couple of years, however, most people are using metro tablets, not solution, to treat their tanks. In animals and fish, metro is mostly used to treat protozoan infections. It also has some affect on gram neg. and gram pos. anaerobes. It is also used for it's anti inflammatory affect on intestinal linings.

The most important thing to remember when using metronidazole, that everyone seems to forget, is that it is extremely light sensitive. Once you take it out of a bottle and expose it to light, it is inactivated very quickly. Metronidazole tablets dissolved and added to a lighted tank is mostly inactive within 1-2 hours. So just remember to turn off the tank lights and block any sunlight while treating. Even with the lights off, it's mostly inactive after about 8 hrs.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Well I am a veterinarian and surgeon. I've been using metronidazole for over 35 years to treat various animal species. You are correct that metronidazole in solution has a shelf life of couple of years, however, most people are using metro tablets, not solution, to treat their tanks. In animals and fish, metro is mostly used to treat protozoan infections. It also has some affect on gram neg. and gram pos. anaerobes. It is also used for it's anti inflammatory affect on intestinal linings.

The most important thing to remember when using metronidazole, that everyone seems to forget, is that it is extremely light sensitive. Once you take it out of a bottle and expose it to light, it is inactivated very quickly. Metronidazole tablets dissolved and added to a lighted tank is mostly inactive within 1-2 hours. So just remember to turn off the tank lights and block any sunlight while treating. Even with the lights off, it's mostly inactive after about 8 hrs.
    Most informative with regard to the lighting. Lights off or it could mean lights out for the fishes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast