ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus gill flukes?

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Discus gill flukes?

I had a typo. Should say "usually won't kill them". It looks like water issues. Not sure what the Prime instructions are, but I hope your using it just prior to WC's and not letting it set in your aging water. That would mean your dumping ammonia in you tank with the WC's.
    PS doing large WC's can damage your discus if you don't age and aerate the water first. It comes in under pressure and may be saturated CO2 and lack of O2.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 04-12-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    - ammonia reading: 10 ppm

- nitrite reading: 0 ppm

- nitrate reading: 60 ppm (could that be the problem?)

Yea that is a big problem if those numbers are right.
    Over 1ppm ammonia can kill fish .. 10ppm your fish should be dead !
    60ppm nitrates on a 75g with your stocking means you don't change water or you really over feed.
    Most 'common' fish keepers [not discus people] don't want nitrates over 40ppm. Discus people want nitrates under 10ppm. So do their fish ..
    The % of the water you change is the % the nutrient will be reduced .
    So if you change 50% you will still have 30ppm nitrates and 5 ammonia [your ammonia reading has to be wrong IMO ].
    Most who keep discus and want them to grow change 70-100 % daily .
    You should be changing no less then 50% daily till you get nitrates down to 5..That would 5 days at 50% assuming you don't gain any which is not how it works ..
    Change water .Learn how to make large water changes like 70% +. You need to match temperature very closely .
    Most feel less then 50% is useless as you are leaving half the waste in the tank only to grow and get higher and higher with every 50% change ..
    I think your main issue is your water quality ..It is not good ..Like Mervin said your husbandry looks like the cause and the treatment is to step up water changes before using any meds . Meds won't work in dirty water anyways ..They get exhausted by all the bacteria in the water column and never get to work on the issue you applied them for usually .
    Sorry. I miss wrote my ammonia reading. I meant 0.10ppm. I decided to see if my water was the problem and I’m pretty sure my tap water is naturally at that higher nitrate. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the nitrates low when the water is usually at that higher nitrate. Should I use some kind of de-nitrate product from like Seachem or API?
    Thanks

Real Name
    Tom

I think most just go to RO for nutrient issue in their source water .
    I don't have experience with nitrate removing pads or materials or the effectiveness or economical use .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

What kind of test kit are you using? Is it expired? Those readings are screwy.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What kind of test kit are you using? Is it expired? Those readings are screwy.
    API Freshwater Master Test Kit.
    I agree but that’s what it says for some reason. Doesn’t look to be expired either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12