ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: eggs not been layed

Registered Member

Default eggs not been layed

I have a female discus that has been laying eggs every 7 days now she has laid 10 times. The male is still a bit to young and did not fertilize the first 8 batches. Now I see the last two times the male has become more interested but for some reason the female egg tube does drop and she goes through all the right motions but no eggs come up. After about 2 hours she quits and everything goes back to normal. They are about 16 to 18 months. they are also in super condition. any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Registered Member

Default Re: eggs not beenlayed

This eggless spawn is normal this happens
    sometimes she should return her egg laying.

Cliff

Registered Member

I guess if the female does not lay eggs the male will just watch and not make any passes is that correct

Registered Member

The female layed eggs yesterday but the male did not fertilize them however he helped clean the cone. The male seems to be mature he would be about a year and 1/2. Should a person just leave them alone the female does not show signs of been tired from all the laying they both a in great shape.

Registered Member

Well the female layed eggs again and the male was not really interested. I was wondering if one should replace the male with another. Would the female bond and lay eggs for the new male or just quit laying. Or would it be best just to leave them and the male who is approx. 1 and 1/2 years old finally mature and fertilize them.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: eggs not been layed

Without seeing fertile eggs how are you sure you have a male ?
    I don't think at the age you say the male is not mature ..
    Even if he was I would expect him to go through the motions without fruitful results ?
    Just guessing but sounds like something else .
    If you have another male I might be inclined to add him to the two and see what happens ?
    I am not the most experienced but my pair started spawning I believe at less then 1 year and has raised 2 spawns .I got them almost 1 year ago [ not quite yet ] at 3 inches so not much older then yours IMO ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Well u know that is something I never thought about you may be right. The reason why I think it is a male is because they both come from a group of 12 and they have seemed to pair off. the one I call a male has a large banner up top and is much bigger then the female, he also has very large lips I know at times this may be deceiving. thanks I think I will but in what I think is another male.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aaron

The "male" even at 1.5 years old is still young and trying to figure it out. In my experience if it were two females they would both be laying and most likely not on the same day. So from what I read here you probably do have a pair, the question remains if the male will figure it out and if he is fertile. Some males especially if they were raised as babies in harder water are just not that fertile.