ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red/bloody nose and streaks on face

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Default Red/bloody nose and streaks on face

Hello - I have been having some health issues with my discus recently. Ich, then a bacterial problem eating away at their flesh because the slim coat was damaged... anyhow these surviving discus have been through the ringer.

Currently I have one who's nose has been getting progressively red and now there is a bloody streak visable on her face. The others are still rubbing against things so they might have gill flukes but I'm not 100% sure.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Bloody sinuses and now a bloody vein on face, some similar coloring on other light colored discus and some rubbing on things. rubbing and flashing has been ongoing for weeks - I thought it was the Ich but now may be flukes?
    The nose thing started a month ago and just this weekend got worse with this fish. I dont know what causes this...

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Most discus have turned dark because of the lack of light in the quarentine tank and the stress from being sick. two were not eating for a week and have since started and are gaining weight again. still remaining a pinched look though. Main symptomn is bloody coloring

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Quarentined, 50% to 75% WC daily because the QT tank is onl.y 30 gallons.
    They have been QT'd for 3 weeks.
    First medicated for ICh with Nox-Ich - but the water changes brought the temp down too intensely so the Ich came back worse and the discus became intolerant to it.
    Moved on to Metroplex plus Focus - dosed the water and their food. This got rid of the ICH but damaged slime coat. 2 got bacterial lesions and I could not get them to eat - they died.
    Discontinued Metroplex and raised temp to 88-90 and used salt for 10 days. This seemed to help rebalance them but flashing continued and so did rubbing on things.

reduced temp and no more salt - one or two still rubbing and the bloody nose on the third. Everyone else seems okay. I still WC daily

I have not yet treated for flukes but am prepared to with Womer plus or another suggestion.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    30gallon, 10 2.5" young(less than 6 months?) discus,

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% - 70% daily - new water is R/O and 86 degrees

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

QT tank only 3 weeks, bare bottom for cleaning purposes. No substrate in QT tank

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Yes to heat up - no Ph swing. always 6.6-6.8

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Stability and API stresszyme

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 86-88

- ph 6.8

- ammonia reading 0.5ppm (I have been battling ammonia for a week or so with WC daily)

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 5.0ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water 0

- municipal water 0

- RO water 100%

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Not since the ICH started

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Beef heart flakes in AM enough to finish in 5-10 minutes
    Frozen blood worms at noon enough to finish in 5-10 min -
    then WC to clear out any hidden food
    veggie flakes before the sun sets only enough that they finish it all in 20 min.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Red/bloody nose and streaks on face

Ok has that discus allways had the red mark? Or is it from the illnesses? Better pic would help. Are you saying you have 10 discus in a 30g or just 2. How big is your main tank? And what’s in it now. Your ammonia is a problem keep water changing. How long hav3 you had these discus and where did you buy them.
    Had more ? But I keep getting logged off. I’m new here so I guess you only get so much time to answer.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

This particular one has had a red nose on and off but it just got worse. I can’t take a better pic I’m sorry. I have 10 in a 30 gallon tank yes. It’s for quarantine purposes. My main tank is 120 gallons. Nothing but plants are in it now. I kept it at 90 degrees for two weeks to kill any remaining ICH I have had these guys for about 6 weeks. I got them from the discus guy who at this point I believe to be an idiot.

Real Name
    Tom

Discus usually don’t get ick. We’re they shipped or you went to his shop? If the guy in NJ it seems like he’s been selling for awhile. Sometimes discus get pimples on them. It’s a sign the water quality it declining. Metro is for internal diseases and deworming. How long were the discus on metro?
    How long did you have them before the white poo? Right now all you can do is keep changing the water. Daily water changes of at least 50%. Stop feeding bloodworms. Feed the fdbw and the flake food. Are they still eating?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

They had ich. And so did the rams and the betta. But they died. They were shipped. And yes he’s been doing it for a while but it doesn’t mean he didn’t send me the wrong fish. The discus were on metro for about 4 days. It was recommended for ich in one of the threads on this site. There has been zero white poop. That’s not one of the symptoms. What’s wrong with bloodworms? That’s what they want to eat the most of. What is fdbw? Please read my post. It says they are all eating but still have that pinched in look on some of them. I think they have flukes but I’m not sure.

Registered Member

FDBW would be freeze dried black worms. The hesitation with blood worms is they are considered to be more of a treat than a staple diet item. Flakes and free dried food have less of a chance of attributing to a water problem.

I would increase my water changes and add salt at least 2 tablespoons per 10 gallon although someone with more experience may recommend a higher dosage. The change in food would help maintain cleaner water for the time being.

Real Name
    Mervin

Metro is not used for ich, not sure where you read that on here. Usually used on flagellate protozoa. Treatment of Metro is usually 10-14 days anything less and usually doesn't work anyway. Heat alone will get rid of ich, I've used it a few times without salt or anything else. Discus usually don't get ich due to the high temps we keep them in. Nothing wrong with blood worms, dried are better, more bang for the buck. Before you put young(baby) discus in a substrate and planted tank, you need to know what your doing right from the start. It compounds the maintenance and is a lot more to it. It can be done but not an easy way to raise them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Okay I will make the switch thank you - at some point it was the only thing a couple of them would eat. Do you think its contributing to the bloody nose?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Discus gills are getting red and they look irritated and inflamed. Please advise.... Wormer plus?

IMG_5726.jpgRV21ui6pSaKZPOhCpCICfg.jpgRoEJFsZNQfKRps%TiexkkA.jpgfullsizeoutput_1929.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

How’s the ammonia in the tank? I don’t see the redness. Keep doing water changes. I use the hikari blood worms as a treat. They claim to have no parasites. But bloodworms are associated with worms and hith. Just watched a video from Whattley about the use of metro and the problem with bloodworms.

Real Name
    Mervin

Did you put in parameters for the QT or are they the main tank parameters? What are the conditions and husbandry of the main tank. Why 100% RO water? How are your plants doing in 100% RO water? Not sure why the 2 conditioners, appear pretty much the same thing.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    How’s the ammonia in the tank? I don’t see the redness. Keep doing water changes. I use the hikari blood worms as a treat. They claim to have no parasites. But bloodworms are associated with worms and hith. Just watched a video from Whattley about the use of metro and the problem with bloodworms.
    I think I saw that video at one point in the past. I think at the time I had an issue with it but not sure. I'd like to see it again, if you can post it.

Real Name
    Mervin

Put gill flukes on the back burner for now and don't worry about them yet anyways.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

The parameters are for the QT tank being that they have been in there for weeks now.

The main tank parameters are
    Ph 6.4
    NH3 0ppm
    NO2 0ppm
    N)3 0ppm

QT tank
    Ph 7.2
    NH3 0.5ppm
    NO2 0ppm
    NO3 0ppm

Am I not supposed to use R/O water? I thought tap with its chlorine(and my city water has high chlorine) would be worse? For my plants I use NILOCG Thrive once a week

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I'm doing 50% - 70% water change daily to keep ammonia down.

I use San francisco bay brand frozen blood worms. I will switych to freeze dried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast