ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red/bloody nose and streaks on face

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Default Re: Red/bloody nose and streaks on face

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Put gill flukes on the back burner for now and don't worry about them yet anyways.
    They look like they are starving although they are eating please help!

Real Name
    Tom

https://youtu.be/P4DAI9uhIBI hope this is it .
    Red if they’re eating just keep feeding and changing water.

Real Name
    Francis

I think I saw that video at one point in the past. I think at the time I had an issue with it but not sure. I'd like to see it again, if you can post it.
    just sharing....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4DAI9uhIBI
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Mervin

Chlorine is no reason to use RO water. There are simpler ways to get rid of chlorine. You need to know whether it's chlorine and chloramine which is ammonia and chlorine. About the video, I've been giving my fish freeze dried blood worms all my all life. I can't remember ever having to deworm my fish because of it. I see your main tank was never cycled. Ammonia was brought up. This is another example of young discus and a planted, tank mates and what not to buy. I do agree with the video about treating the entire tank when disease breaks out; that was always the way I've done it, with much more success. I don't think it's flukes, might be worms, but if you treated with prazi, it would get rid of both issues. Usually if worms, poop would look something like Hex poop maybe slightly yellow instead of clear. But you say their poop in normal.

Real Name
    Mervin

PS. you were on the better track with the Metroplex, but need 14 days. Then clean your substrate more often.
    "General Cure" if you can get it.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 04-08-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

Chlorine is no reason to use RO water. There are simpler ways to get rid of chlorine. You need to know whether it's chlorine and chloramine which is ammonia and chlorine. About the video, I've been giving my fish freeze dried blood worms all my all life. I can't remember ever having to deworm my fish because of it. I see your main tank was never cycled. Ammonia was brought up. This is another example of young discus and a planted, tank mates and what not to buy. I do agree with the video about treating the entire tank when disease breaks out; that was always the way I've done it, with much more success. I don't think it's flukes, might be worms, but if you treated with prazi, it would get rid of both issues. Usually if worms, poop would look something like Hex poop maybe slightly yellow instead of clear. But you say their poop in normal.
    My main tank was cycled for two years. a tank mate brought in ICH and because the temp dropped everytime I cleaned it - the Ich was able to bloom and got on many fish. I have since learned that letting the temp drop when I add new water is a big no-no. But you have not told me why R/O is bad. I've read and heard that it's 10x's better than tap. Please explain why you think R/o is bad.
    I am diong Metro again because if it's safe enough to dose once a month as a precaution its probably safe enough to dose for 10 - 14 days just in case. So I'm doing whats suggested in the video - adding to their food once a day for 10 days.
    As for substrate - there isnt any in my QT tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marie

PS. you were on the better track with the Metroplex, but need 14 days. Then clean your substrate more often.
    "General Cure" if you can get it.
    I dosed my main tank with Prazi and all of my cycle and nitrates and good bacteria died overnight. Im reluctant to think it will do my fish justice.

Real Name
    Tom

It’s not that ro is bad it’s that you may not need it. If it’s chlorine in your water that’s easily removed. You can just add prime or age your water. But if chloramine than that another problem and I’m not sure how you remove that. Ro water as clean as it is need things added to it to make it right for your tank. I use tap water that I run through an under counter water filter. Easiest way for me. I’m just removing chlorine.

Real Name
    Mervin

Your main tank is where this began. It's just as important to know what happened in the first place. That's why I asked about substrate cleaning. I've been there with planted tanks. I started with all planted tanks back in my first years of this hobby. And I've been there with discus in a planted tank, which is just a bit different in maintenance.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Red.Aceco View Post
    I dosed my main tank with Prazi and all of my cycle and nitrates and good bacteria died overnight. Im reluctant to think it will do my fish justice.
    Prazi should not kill bacteria/cycle. I've used it five consecutive weeks a few years ago. Had excellent success with gill flukes. It says twice on the bottle, don't believe it; it takes longer than two dosings as directed for flukes,;might be effective dosing for worms. With gill flukes your discus still should been able to eat and keep it's weight up. Internal parasites looks like the issue from the pics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12