ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Intake and spray bar placement

Registered Member

Default Intake and spray bar placement

I run 2 eheim 2217 filters for my 125 gallon tank. Currently I have the intake tubes on the back corners and the 2 spray bars in the center facing out. So it leaves a high current in the middle of the tank and calmer waters on the outside. Does this work or should I set it up differently? Maybe position the spray bars towards the back glass or facing down?
    Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Default Re: Intake and spray bar placement

I have the same setup on my 72 gallon. The fish are fine with the current.

Registered Member

In the wild Discus live in a river with both strong and weak currents. Their bodies are designed for current living. I don't know what a spray bar is so my tank is set up with the filter flow and an aerator at one end which creates a turbulence at that end and quieter water at the other, which is where I have placed the breeding cone.

Registered Member

Thank you both for the feedback

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Check out SD sponsor Flow Tamer. He custom produces flow reduction spray bars for canister outlets.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...nwood-Lake-NY)
    Last edited by danotaylor; 04-14-2020 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added link

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    In the wild Discus live in a river with both strong and weak currents. Their bodies are designed for current living. I don't know what a spray bar is so my tank is set up with the filter flow and an aerator at one end which creates a turbulence at that end and quieter water at the other, which is where I have placed the breeding cone.
    I like this approach for bigger discus. Actually all large cichlids seem to benefit from some turbulence. I use a wavemaker for my large (> 75 gallon) tanks. It also has the advantage of pushing all the crap to one side for easier cleaning.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I like this approach for bigger discus. Actually all large cichlids seem to benefit from some turbulence. I use a wavemaker for my large (> 75 gallon) tanks. It also has the advantage of pushing all the crap to one side for easier cleaning.

Willie
    True, when I water change I use a siphon to drain tank water. The crap is all at the opposite side from the turbulent side. The fish chose where they want to be.

Real Name
    Brendan

I have inlets at one end, and outlets at the other end, so that the flow is going all one way, and pushing all the crap into the inlets. So faster current on the top of the water, and slower down the bottom. Seems to work well for me.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    I have inlets at one end, and outlets at the other end, so that the flow is going all one way, and pushing all the crap into the inlets. So faster current on the top of the water, and slower down the bottom. Seems to work well for me.
    Nice!