Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Breeding for the Bored

Real Name
    Joshua

Default Corona Breeding for the Bored

862608EE-C0E8-4A31-B468-35F999C28981.jpg
    0B27E11B-D93A-41EC-8196-C25098F2EF36.jpg

https://youtu.be/FAHEGWk10mQ

(I don’t know how to rotate images in this forum sorry)127380[/ATTACH]Okay guys hello again! It’s been a while on the forum and I have full circle come back to discus. Amazingly enough a pair caught my eye in the store and they were the last 2 in the tank. I have had them for about 6 months so they have grown and gotten much thicker. It turns out they were a pair and started to breed in my 150 gallon and to my surprise I snatched them up and put them in a 30 all to themselves. Fast forward a bit and this is there 8th attempt. I remembering reading patience is key and “let them be” as common themes so up until now I have only watched and gathered tons of awesome video and pics. First 2 were straight duds and caused me to think dud or two females. Luckily I was wrong and the 4-6 have gotten to wrigglers and then a few free swimmers. This last time all eggs were white so I was a little concerned because after they took some extra time to just be themselves and I was about to put them back into my 150, well the female started to pucker at the glass and I got to cleaning the tank (it needed it) and giving a water change with para Gaurd and half dose of stress Gaurd. Honestly I was hoping to get away with leaving it natural and the last hatch that didn’t fertilize I did that. The previous early attempts I used para and stress and it worked so I figure go back to it
    I guess I’m more or less making this to see in these boring corona times if anyone wants to follow along and for the good or the bad see how it went and what I can do if anything to help or possibly am I hindering. I have another 30 gallon plexi in my living room that is ready and cycled to take the babies if they ever do get going so for now I just wait.

My parameters for my water is 82 temp and 7.8 ph and 125 ppm. I have not tested the nitrate or nitrite in the water because my fluid ran out but before it did (month ago) they were solid with no nitrite and barley any register for nitrate. I have a large sponge that was going with a FluvalSmart for a months and then I moved FluvalSmart to grow tank in living room so all the discus have now is sponge so I do (realistically if I’m being honest) %50 w/c weekly and I can honestly say I hit this before I do any of my other 4 tanks ��. That’s the background that should get you caught up if your following and everything in me wants to see these 2 have babies because too me at least there very beautiful and for a rare find in a lfs as a last 2 I’m speechless so I’m willing to put in the work for these guys. Side not from there last hatch that did have wrigglers I ended up with 2 free swimmers that I think got stuck somewhere in the tank and the fish were starting a new spawn with these 2 free swimmers.. alas it only lasted a day and then I couldn’t find them. This has been such a rewarding experience and I am grateful for anyone willing to go along with me to help steer me toward a successful breeding pair (I feel like I have always wanted a successful discus hatch the moment I fell in love with them and it potentially is going to happen). What’s also so inspiring is to watch the different techniques they use and placement of eggs. One hatch the eggs were everywhere and that grew to now a more refined clutching or cluster of the eggs and I really can feel them problem solving with only the resources they have. If you have any questions please feel free to ask but I am going to update progress as you know time frame is rather quick for us to find out how it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yashua; 04-08-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Corona Breeding for the Bored

Real Name
    Joshua

Wow, cool I used the video insert link and added the youtube share link but it didn't add it into page like yours did. Could you tell me how to do it correctly in the future so it shows the way you did Danotaylor, please and thank you!

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Yashua View Post
    Wow, cool I used the video insert link and added the youtube share link but it didn't add it into page like yours did. Could you tell me how to do it correctly in the future so it shows the way you did Danotaylor, please and thank you!
    I believe you just need to take the 's' out of the https .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Pat

Congrats and nice fish, can't say I've seen any stock like that at any of my LFSs

Real Name
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I believe you just need to take the 's' out of the https .
    Sweet thanks!

Real Name
    Joshua

Well normally I would say I’m lucky because this store specialized in Discus but ever since they went to salt their discus section has decreased. These were probably the last pair of nice looking fish in that store (now it’s smaller fish but many have Gill fluke and cloudy eye). I should probably say I feed them a mix of my own made food with natural color enhancers, and boy can I say after a month there quite something! The video does a good job but it’s also to over exposed as the colors are vibrant but more natural.

Thanks Josh! Dude, please keep updating!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Joshua

D68DFACE-1FC2-4963-A576-1BB93C67CB79.jpg

Day 3 and I have a few white but that looks like a wall of gold to me at this stage! Boy I hope they all start wriggling!

A1347B4D-100E-4BC7-95D5-9DD5FFDD2166.jpg

For those that are following along here is the home they came from. The plants are coming back after a Hiatus of co2... I was being lazy and didn’t want to refill. It’s bouncing back and the other discus in there are looking really nice too. Once I get some wriggling action (I hope) I will get you guys a nice video of that. I really am hoping that me sharing with you guys is the luck straw in the breeding discus bucket because I didn’t know what to grasp in next. I guess for those following along too I have a few questions for those that have been in my shoes. Do you feed your discus parents during the hatching phase? Do you do water changes? Do you slow the flow or speed it up. I’m just curious as I would love to hear how your breeding went and what seemed to work for you. Thanks again guys for following along with me as I feel exposed a little knowing it failed 7 times prior, I feel like others are rooting me on!

Real Name
    Joshua

Can someone also help me with posting pics in correct orientation. In my phone there straight but once posted the turn and I see other posts where there straight! I wish I could just edit the photo

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Just wondering, is your LFS aqua life aquarium? They get their discus from Golden State discus, a sponsor in this forum. That could explain why the discus are so nice.

Real Name
    Joshua

No I live in sacramento and the owner went overseas for his discus. Trust me he was devoted and knew what he was doing. Like I said he grew out of discus unfortunately for salt (good for him) but his efforts are more salt now probably because he makes more money. That being said I would have to say my personal fish food helped a lot in their growth and coloring but these 2 specifically have good genes. Not the best but too me their perfect. I just wish I can upload better shots. I will upload an image sideways next time to see if that fixes it.
    Last edited by Yashua; 04-11-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Yashua View Post
    Can someone also help me with posting pics in correct orientation. In my phone there straight but once posted the turn and I see other posts where there straight! I wish I could just edit the photo
    Your pics are small enough for the forum software to post, but I think it turns them to fit. If you resize them down or crop them slightly I think they will post correctly.

Real Name
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Your pics are small enough for the forum software to post, but I think it turns them to fit. If you resize them down or crop them slightly I think they will post correctly.
    Thank you that makes sense. I should have some exciting pics to post when I get home

Real Name
    Joshua

Here is what you were all waiting for!

I will show pictures when lights are at their brightest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast