Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corona Breeding for the Bored

Real Name
    Joshua

Default Re: Corona Breeding for the Bored

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    NICE !
    Well done .
    My pair keeps eating their eggs and my youngest fry are almost 3 months and huge , so for now I am living vicariously through your post ..
    Love seeing them !
    Thanks! It has been many years coming so to see them at this stage I’m stoked... I’m dreading the day of separation to just think I haven’t done enough or wasn’t prepared but I can’t think that now... just got to keep moving forward.
    Here is an update

Real Name
    Joshua

I got a Day 17 Update. They are looking awesome with tiny flare of color which is getting me jazzed. How much longer should I keep the babies with the parents before I move them? they will go for BS now but still graze the parents which I am sure they would keep doing so I want to separate so I can concentrate on my parents and getting them in better shape after some fighting. I am really wondering whats going to happen after the move with the parents and if they will still fight.

This video I took in 4K so you might have to view on computer to see the best quality, but I got some really nice close ups so enjoy.

Here is a cool time lapse I did for fun as well

Real Name
    Tom

They look great .
    I would think you could separate them any time now . The most important thing is they know to recognize food and eat it .
    Do you plan on moving the parents or the fry ?
    My male whipped the females tail the same as yours looks with their first spawn .It was the reason I separated them .
    Here I was nervous also ; http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ter&highlight=
    I moved the fry but I would move the parents in your case .My pair and fry were in a 60g so I moved he fry to a 29g and let the parents have the big tank to themselves .
    They spawned days after being re introduced and I am still raising the fry who are 3 months old just 2 days ago ..
    Here is my fry !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    They look great .
    I would think you could separate them any time now . The most important thing is they know to recognize food and eat it .
    Do you plan on moving the parents or the fry ?
    My male whipped the females tail the same as yours looks with their first spawn .It was the reason I separated them .
    Here I was nervous also ; http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ter&highlight=
    I moved the fry but I would move the parents in your case .My pair and fry were in a 60g so I moved he fry to a 29g and let the parents have the big tank to themselves .
    They spawned days after being re introduced and I am still raising the fry who are 3 months old just 2 days ago ..
    Here is my fry !
    I was going to move the fry to their own 30 gallon and keep the parents in the same tank but just recently the grow out tank I was going to use has 6 different fish just to keep water going but I just noticed Ick on 4 of them so I’m treating tank anyway but I’m inclined to just move the parents up into this 30 Because there stronger and keep fry in the same tank and parameters that have been working. The difference in the two tanks is one is 1.5 yrs old and running while the grow out is 2 months old. The tank got cycled media in Fluval and I have 2 sponge filters And 2 fluidized media canisters as well so filtration should be no problem. I will say I don’t like this light and I think I’m going to change it to a Fluval light.
    The babies recognize me know and come running to the front of the tank so I think there ready. I’m trying to get them used to crushed flake food so I can put it in a timer and have that feed while I’m at work. On top of that they will be getting frozen and live brine (lfs has nice live black worm and bs) as well as my DIY food that really doesn’t cloud water and can stay on bottom in chucks for a while. I just need to break a bunch of smaller pieces so everyone can share lol

Registered Member

Nice going, you can separate the fry. You may want to cull the sliders.

Please keep us updated.

Cliff

Take out mon and dad. The kids are doing very well and no longer need them. The pair could use some time off feeding fry from their bodies to recover well. JMHO, of course.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Nice going, you can separate the fry. You may want to cull the sliders.

Please keep us updated.

Cliff
    Thanks for you insight, and I am sorry for sounding very noob... but what are sliders? This is my first batch that I have raised so the culling process is new and at this size I don’t know what to look for and I really should do it sooner than later because it’s going to wreck my heart.

Real Name
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Take out mon and dad. The kids are doing very well and no longer need them. The pair could use some time off feeding fry from their bodies to recover well. JMHO, of course.
    Thanks Liz! I think I have settled on this as the best option and the parents will be in my main living room again so that will be cool. I guess I can put a breeding cone in their and in the event they spawn again hopefully the babies will be stronger to make a flip flop.

Really nice fry. I would be interested in some when they are ready.
    If you are interested in the dark Rams or gold, we could do a trade. I have some that are about 3.5 months old and another group that is about 1.5 months old.
    Or, if not, would be happy to purchase a group of 6-8.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yashua View Post
    Thanks for you insight, and I am sorry for sounding very noob... but what are sliders? This is my first batch that I have raised so the culling process is new and at this size I don’t know what to look for and I really should do it sooner than later because it’s going to wreck my heart.
    Sliders are Discus with bladder problems.
    Discus swimming at a 45 degrees angle(kind of a snobbish look), sometimes they will lay flat on their sides till its feeding time.

Cliff

Real Name
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Sliders are Discus with bladder problems.
    Discus swimming at a 45 degrees angle(kind of a snobbish look), sometimes they will lay flat on their sides till its feeding time.

Cliff
    Ok got it, thanks Cliff! In your experience what is the best method for culling? It’s my first time

Real Name
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    Really nice fry. I would be interested in some when they are ready.
    If you are interested in the dark Rams or gold, we could do a trade. I have some that are about 3.5 months old and another group that is about 1.5 months old.
    Or, if not, would be happy to purchase a group of 6-8.
    Yea sounds like we can figure it out. For now I need to do my best to raise them up

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yashua View Post
    Ok got it, thanks Cliff! In your experience what is the best method for culling? It’s my first time
    Usually I start to cull early as possible for deformities such as:
    short gill plates
    cloudy or chip eyes
    beakie or parrot mouth
    short anal and dorsal fins
    bent tail
    Oval or oblong body
    these are only a few thing to look
    for.

Cliff

Real Name
    Joshua

So I am updating now and sorry for the gaps but life get crazy and I am going into work an hour earlier so that has changed my whole world but I am adjusting. So here is my dilemma...The tank I had ready for parents I had bought some rams for my 150 but didn't have anywhere to put them for quarantine except that tank and I was even hesitant at first. Long story short the fish got ick and even with treatment it got works and took the lives of 2 smaller rams and 1 medium sized and I have one left that I was medicating. What worries me is that tank getting my parents sick so the other spot is too put them back into the 150 but if they spawn again chances are it will be on glass because that's what they like and that batch will not survive. If I want to go back and net them out it is not an easy process with my 150 and there are other larger discus in my main tank so that might not go so well. I am contemplating buying a new tank and the filters running in the tank I have now are cycled. I should end with when I put the rams in the tank when i bought them home i saw specks of ick but I have gotten rid of it from lck so I gambled and now I am just worried about the parents getting anything from the tank. Any thought would be appreciated but come this weekend something is happening.

Real Name
    Joshua

Hi guys, I hope everyone is well and doing good. Sounds like the country is coming back to life so that’s a good thing and my Corona Breeding has been a total success. I took the parents out finally and honestly they both were doing well with the babies so I almost didn’t want to take them out. Ultimately I decided the feeding and cleaning would be easier without parents. I ended up buying a 30 Tall and swapped my plexi and I couldn’t be happier.

Update on parents they did not enjoy each other’s company so she went back into the 150 and she isn’t being chased and is fitting right in. The male is getting time out in this new tank, and really he actually looks nice in a 30X glass tank and maybe he will calm down but I don’t feel like chasing him out of my 150. For now the arrangement is working
    image.jpg

Here she is in the 150
    image.jpg

Here is a video of the babies at day 28

Depending on how many babies I get I might just clear out my 150 and start with just the babies or get a bigger tank for adults with nothing but sand 😍, and keep the 150 for the babies...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast