ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How to feed FDBW?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Saif

Default How to feed FDBW?

I can feed it via,

sticking it on the glass or the inverted cone method. To stick it on the glass, I have to apply a reasonable amount of pressure. with small pressure they float away with some pecks. This I am afraid that, done four times daily over a period of time might damage the aquarium.

but in both cases, I have to put my hands inside the water. dropping is not a good option as it creates a mess.

Are there any other way to feed them without hands going in water?

Thanks,
    Saif

Registered Member

Default Re: How to feed FDBW?

I'm not concerned at all about damaging the aquarium when sticking the cubes onto the glass but if you are, just apply the same amount of pressure on the other side of the glass with your other hand while doing it.

Real Name
    Tom

What I do is breakup the cube into a small cup. Than add tank water to the cup to saturate the worms. Then spill in what they can eat in about 2 min. I keep doing that till it’s all gone. Also I buy the fines instead of the cubes. I find the cubes start more aggression. With them all attacking the cube. When you spill it in they all get some and much less aggression.

Registered Member

I break into small pieces then mix with Bug Bites and Tetra Color. Some of it sinks, some of it floats. That way the top feeders get the FDBW and the bottom grazers get the Bug Bites and the Teta Color. Sometimes the FDWB drift into the filter current and get blown down into the tank where all fish get a shot at them. My Discus are large enough to gulp in the FDBW chunks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Teo

Bought the cube ones.
    Break it into several smaller pieces and scatter around the tank to prevent all the fishes from attacking on the same cube at the same time.

Registered Member

I run my tanks with an overflow into a sump. Only way I can feed them dried food is to turn the filtration off for 20 mins or so. I've tried soaking them for half an hour and the majority still float.

Registered Member

It's okay if the FDBW float, isn't it? My fish go to the surface and grab them. I think it is a natural way from them and other fishes to eat.

Real Name
    Tom

I have several tanks with sumps which gave me the idea of using a surface skimmer to feed .
    I add the loose or break up the cube into a couple pieces and then let my surface skimmer [ Eheim 350 or Aquaneat] draw them in and shoot them into the water column .
    This method gets food all over the tanks and catches the interest of some of my most picky eaters like my Dantums and Altums .
    For my sumps I use cheap Jeboa DC pumps that have a feed button that shuts pump off for 10 minutes .
    I usually feed my cubes stuck to glass and most my fish tear them up that way .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Quote Originally Posted by Saif View Post
    I can feed it via,

sticking it on the glass or the inverted cone method. To stick it on the glass, I have to apply a reasonable amount of pressure. with small pressure they float away with some pecks. This I am afraid that, done four times daily over a period of time might damage the aquarium.

but in both cases, I have to put my hands inside the water. dropping is not a good option as it creates a mess.

Are there any other way to feed them without hands going in water?

Thanks,
    Saif
    only if you water them from some convenient vessel