AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ph At 7.6

Registered Member

Default Ph At 7.6

My Denver tap water comes out at a stable 7.6 and the tank is at 7.6. I have been doing daily water tests and the water is stable. I am wondering if Discus would be ok in that high of ph. Thank you!

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Ph At 7.6

I raise my discus fry and am growing out my latest new 3 inch discus from Hans in 7.6 pH..
    GH and TDS are really more useful measurements of water 'hardness' IMO .
    Welcome to SD .
    Have you thought about where you would get your discus from yet ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I raise my discus fry and am growing out my latest new 3 inch discus from Hans in 7.6 pH..
    GH and TDS are really more useful measurements of water 'hardness' IMO .
    Welcome to SD .
    Have you thought about where you would get your discus from yet ?

I am going to get them form my local fish store, All About fish. Or order them from Jack Wattley discus

Real Name
    Tom

I would order from Jack unless your store can say what breeder they come from .
    After water quality the next most important thing is getting good healthy fish IMO .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Tom

Things to ask your pet store. Where do they get them from and what are they feeding them. Also ask what there ph is and if lower do they treat there water to make it lower. 7.6 is fine. As long as the ph stays the same your fish will be fine. Some pet stores have better fish than others. By me they’re all warehouse fish nothing special. Breeders have better fish but cost more. Take some pics before you bu6 and put them on the thread. Others can tell how they look.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Things to ask your pet store. Where do they get them from and what are they feeding them. Also ask what there ph is and if lower do they treat there water to make it lower. 7.6 is fine. As long as the ph stays the same your fish will be fine. Some pet stores have better fish than others. By me they’re all warehouse fish nothing special. Breeders have better fish but cost more. Take some pics before you bu6 and put them on the thread. Others can tell how they look.
    Sound good! Thank you

Real Name
    Willie

In my experience, discus from your local fish store will cost 50% - 100% higher than mail order. Quality ranges from unacceptable to just fair. (Who would send good discus to a fish store?) Very seldom, almost never, do I see a tank of discus where every fish is healthy.

I've ordered discus from everyone around, including Jack Wattley's. I strongly recommend getting discus from Simply Discus sponsors. The quality and health of the fish is always better. If not, they need to keep you satisfied to keep getting business from other hobbyists on this site.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes it is allways better to buy breeder or seller fish. Most are cheaper and of better quality. I’m new here and dont know th3 recommended sellers. But I have bought from Hans Discus. 2” discus and have gotten strong fish that are growing big. Being your in Denver I also bought discus from Uncle Sams discus in Cali. I bought 5” discus And they are very nice strong fish. But I would recommend trying smaller discus from US and growing them out. If interested get on their web site. They have sales monthly where the fish are 50% off. Good luck.