AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: White feces old theme new theme

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Default White feces old theme new theme

Hi Everybody,
    I am new here. I know that this can be already treated theme but I have serious problem with this issue. First the questions:
    1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    One months ago, the one fish started to poop stringy feces, different treatments, no effects. Now I have problems with probably 6-7 fishes out of 10.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Apatic, no apetite, turning dark, one of the fishes has big stomac, swimming freely.One of them spitting the food. Probably started with one high nitrite accident.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Wormer plus, 2 repeated courses, no effects,
    Esha hexamite course no effect,
    Prazi (Sera tremazol). No effects.
    Did not try Metro, first your opinion

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    11 medium size discus fishes (8-10cm) checkers discus, some white buttefly, melon +8 corydoras.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). 20-30% every week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? from October 2019, planted, substrate (sand)

2 canister filters. Each of them 1000L/h
    7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    No. mixing Destillated or RO water with tap water (dechlorinated).
    PH stable.If ph drops to I do WC

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Waterlife
    9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 31C

- ph 7

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 1x

- RO water 4x

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No. A lot of small snails in my aquarium

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Beefheart (Stendker mixture) 2-3 times a day, discus pellet(once a day)
    Now when they are with disease problem only once per day

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

As you can see I tried with several treatments but no success. Now the fishes are getting thinner, and because they are mostly checkers I cannot see whether they are getting brown. I have had posibility to check the feces on the microscope today and I found long elypsoid pointed creature. Feces are full of them. They have small cillias arround their body. I cannot find what is it on internet. Find it in attachment.
    Please help.
    I want tostart with MEtro but maybe the problem is other thin that is not Hexamita.
    Thank you in advance
    Slaven
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: White feces old theme new theme

Welcome to SD.
    20-30% water change a day would lite IMO .
    20-30% a week would be the cause of your issues IMO.
    You need to step it up considerably IMO. I would say less then 50% a day is not going to get you anywhere ..Low water changes seem to be the underlying theme to many of the disease threads posted lately ?
    No med will work in dirty water.. They become exhausted by the organics and do little to nothing besides waste your money and stress your fish ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Welcome to SD.
    20-30% water change a day would lite IMO .
    20-30% a week would be the cause of your issues IMO.
    You need to step it up considerably IMO. I would say less then 50% a day is not going to get you anywhere ..Low water changes seem to be the underlying theme to many of the disease threads posted lately ?
    No med will work in dirty water.. They become exhausted by the organics and do little to nothing besides waste your money and stress your fish ..
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am new here for abreviations. What is IMO?
    Does anibody know what kind of creature is this on the pictures?
    Thanks

Real Name
    Tom

IMO ; In MY Opinion
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

IMO ; In MY Opinion
    Thank you. I will start as you have told me. Too many snails and algae support your concerns.
    But the parazite persists in my tank.
    I forgot to write. It is 100g tank.
    Sincerely

Real Name
    Tom

First slide looks like Protoopalina symphysodonis. It has been referred to as discus parasites ,but is a flagellate .It is often accompanied with Spironucleus or parasitic worms .
    The other slides look like paramecium.They are usually found in heavily contaminated water .They feed off the over growth of bacteria in dirty water .
    I know none of this for fact but your pics match the pics in my book Handbook of Fish Disease by Dieter Untergasser .This is a great book often found on line . The book explains how to take scraping from fish and mounting on slides.
    It also offers several simple to follow disease ID flow charts and then pages of proper treatments for each issue .
    It is a must have for must keepers IMO. Oddly the price of this older book recently has gone up about 6 times the price I paid for it !
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

First slide looks like Protoopalina symphysodonis. It has been referred to as discus parasites ,but is a flagellate .It is often accompanied with Spironucleus or parasitic worms .
    The other slides look like paramecium.They are usually found in heavily contaminated water .They feed off the over growth of bacteria in dirty water .
    I know none of this for fact but your pics match the pics in my book Handbook of Fish Disease by Dieter Untergasser .This is a great book often found on line . The book explains how to take scraping from fish and mounting on slides.
    It also offers several simple to follow disease ID flow charts and then pages of proper treatments for each issue .
    It is a must have for must keepers IMO. Oddly the price of this older book recently has gone up about 6 times the price I paid for it !
    Thank you for good advise. I think all pictures are the same creature. Elipsoid, long with pointed body on one side. Moving with the short cilias around the body.
    Only depends if free moving or bunched in the feces. In this link they draw 2 pictures of Hexamita (It is in Dutch but just see the picture).
    http://www.discusvissen.com/discusvis_metronidazole.htm
    But they said it is Hexamite.
    I will get the book definitely. What do you think about the treatment when I improve the Water Quality?
    I do not think that will be cured just improving water quality.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Thank you for your advise and opinion. I do think that it is the same type in all pictures. Long, elipsoid, pointed on one side, with short cilias all arround the body. Can be protoopalina.
    HAve a look at this website.
    The first draw is exactly the same as I have but they say it is Hexa. It is in Dutch but the picture is interesting. What do you think? Other form of Hexa? They have 2 pictures of Hexa

I will get the book definitely. But I think that I will not cure the parasites only with water improvement. Which medications I have to use after?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Thank you for your precious advices. I will get this book definately. But I think the creature is tha same in all pictures, because the morphology is the same only changing if the pathogen is freely moving or is bunched in the feces.
    Please check this link. Is in Dutch (I do not speak dutch either), but have a look on 2 drawing in one picture. They claim that both forms are Hexa (and they are completely different). The first draw is exactly what I saw (Elipsoyd long body, pointed on one side, small cillias arround all body).
    What do you think?

And what about than?
    If the water quality is improved I do not think that this will be cured?
    Medications?
    sincerely,
    Slaven