ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New here & looking for Advice!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Default New here & looking for Advice!

Hello,
    I just started a new 6x2x2 tank dead set on keeping some discus!

Unfortunately as I read through forum recommendations, I'm finding out a planted setup isn't ideal for starting with juvenile fish.

This was a slight letdown knowing I wouldn't get to see them grow, but I'm happy just for the opportunity to keep them.

So now my questions,

What size is considered Adult?

I'm planning stocking 8 Discus, 50 rummy nose tetra, 1 BN pleco, 15 Oto, & 15 Sterbai. (Compared to my 50gal this will be a lightly stocked tank)

Should I be only considering 5+ inch fish or would 3.5+ work?

Thanks

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Re: New here & looking for Advice!

If it were I, I’d get 5” or bigger depending on your budget and all. Maybe cut the rummies number back some.

Real Name
    Tom

How committed are you. You can do it. Raise 2” discus in a planted tank. You just need to keep the water clean. I’d reduce your dither fish numbers till your fish get to size. Thing with smaller fish is they’ll grow in a planted tank. They’ll be used to it. Putting adult discus into a planted tank could stress them out. Big difference with a planted tank is you will have to do vacuum water changes. It will take a little longer. I did it with my tank. My discus started at the 2” size and are now at the 6” size.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    If it were I, I’d get 5” or bigger depending on your budget and all. Maybe cut the rummies number back some.
    What about the rummies concerns you?

My 50 gallon has about the same in stock minus the discus, and my nitrates hover around 20ppm without any water changes.
    2 Angles, 1 Ram, mix of 35-40 rasbora het/var tetra, and 8 each cory & Oto

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    How committed are you. You can do it. Raise 2” discus in a planted tank. You just need to keep the water clean. I’d reduce your dither fish numbers till your fish get to size. Thing with smaller fish is they’ll grow in a planted tank. They’ll be used to it. Putting adult discus into a planted tank could stress them out. Big difference with a planted tank is you will have to do vacuum water changes. It will take a little longer. I did it with my tank. My discus started at the 2” size and are now at the 6” size.
    Man, I would love to grow them out some but i really feel like 2" is pushing it. I'd rather spend a bit extra on the front end than fail.

I only do vacuum water changes anyway due to the light color pool filter sand, only way i can find where the poo is lol.

It would be wise to start with nothing smaller than 4.5" fish. You're still going to have to do at very large WC every day and keep the gravel clean if you want to keep them as healthy as possible. I tried it and it is a lot of work and I decided to put my fully adult Discus in a BB and use their tank for more suitable fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingsarefun View Post
    What about the rummies concerns you?

My 50 gallon has about the same in stock minus the discus, and my nitrates hover around 20ppm without any water changes.
    2 Angles, 1 Ram, mix of 35-40 rasbora het/var tetra, and 8 each cory & Oto
    I just tend to feel that lowering the bioload a bit would help.....you’d be adding 8 Discus to 70g of additional water in your 120g (8.75g per Discus) which might raise nitrates even more. To me, 25 rummies would be preferable and still look cool. Just my thoughts.

Real Name
    Tom

Where are you buying your discus. Buying small you know your getting young fish. Going to a planted tank any size can have problems. That’s why I suggest small.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Where are you buying your discus. Buying small you know your getting young fish. Going to a planted tank any size can have problems. That’s why I suggest small.
    small side might be wise if you are buying eight or more. There is a chance that you may lose a few as the grow out so play the odds here would be one way to go. I would like to see a mix of male an female so that 8 number would give you a shot at a mix of both. My 8 turned out to be 6 male and 2 or maybe 1 female. Next order will be two large with best guess female to balance out the female/male ratio.

You will end up choosing what you prefer but I would start out with 6 4 1/2 to 5" Discus in that planted tank to start. No Dither fish at first if at all. Change your water often enough to keep your nitrates to between 5 and 10 and vacuum your gravel at least twice a week. Let us know what you decide and how it goes (pics along the way, please).
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

4 1/2 to 5, concur with Liz. Are you living in USA? If so chose fish from anyone listed here on the forum.

Would agree to start with the largest you can afford.
    Liz gives good advice, in my opinion.
    Chris V.

Real Name
    Tom

Well like I said adult fish cost 3+times more than young fish and having grown in bb tanks and knowing nothing but bb tanks. The probability of doing good is just not there. Liz has a thread about doing this and in the end she moved the fish out because she thought they weren’t doing well. Like I said smaller is the better way. Less of an investment. Remember 8 2” discus is still going to cost 200+. Planted discus tanks on here are frowned upon. So it’s not like there’s a lot doing them. They do mean more work. Especially in the beginning.