AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: parasites

Registered Member

Default parasites

Hi. I have a sick adult female discus with clear poop. Can someone identify the parasites in the following video? I used the microscope for the first time so the video may not look the best (took with a cell phone). I am using 100x magnification by the way.

https://youtu.be/si26fIURqMs

There are at least 2 different parasites. Is the long one the capillaria? It is hard to see in the video, but they have black hairs (like legs) throughout their whole body.
    There are a few flea like smaller oval shaped ones. Anyone know what they are?
    And then there are a few very small oval/round ones that moves very fast, but they could be the baby "fleas"?

Would like to identify a proper treatment for her. She had about 50 fry around 6 weeks ago. The babies were moved to a separate tank about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: parasites

Wow nice video .
    Done with your phone with a microscope attachment ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

No. It is a real microscope, but the video was taken holding my phone over the eyepiece. I found this yields a much higher quality video than using a digital microscope imager (that replaces the eyepiece).
    I did more research and found that the little flea like bugs are actually aquatic mites. They are common and should be harmless in an aquarium, but I still want to get rid of them if possible.

I wasn't sure if the long worms are capillaria. The ones I saw online have heads that are about the same size as the tails, while the heads on mine looks thicker than the tails. Anyways, I have ordered Levamisole HCL to treat the capillaria, unless someone correct me.

I took another video and found another parasite which I think are the flukes. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Yx-5SCptc&t=3m30s

I will have to cleanup all my discus before trying to breed them again.

Real Name
    Bill G.

This second video has, what look to me ( in the last segment ) like Rotifers.....not Flukes.
    75380071-67BD-4D9E-ACD9-E55C2BFBF501.jpeg
    Last edited by 14Discus; 04-15-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Registered Member

Phew! Thanks 14Discus. Now I only have one parasite to treat, the capillaria.