AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tds 75

Default Tds 75

With a TDS of 75 out of the tap who would have ever guessed that I needed RO for my eggs to hatch? It seems inconceivable but it is a fact. I have not been able to get a spawn to hatch in my age tap except. Once I got lucky with my Pitch Black Rams but that's it.

I got a brand new RO unit that has a TDS meter measuring the TDS before entering the membrane as well as after. It reads 75 and 0 respectively. I have a brand new Hanna TDS meter that gives me the same readings. My gH is 0. My kH is 4.5. This should be great breeding water, right?

After putting in the RO I walked down to the fish room this morning and found mama Discus moving her new wigglers from one spot on the cone to the other. I swear, it this hadn't worked I was ready to throw in the towel. Thank God I finally have a spawn to grow out and work with. I no longer feel like a failure.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Tds 75

Good work. I been here for a while and I followed you advice for years. I you are not a failure thanks Ed

Thank you, Ed.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Larry

Glad to hear you got wigglers Liz, sometimes it just weird as to how these discus breed. Seems like they do as they please.
    I enjoy your posts and learn alot from them, so faliure? never!
    Good luck with growing those out and looking forward to seeing pics as you do grow those out.

Thanks, Larry. I didn't say that I had decided that I was a failure. On the other hand, I don't want to be one who says "do as I do" with no proof that I am able to do and have excellent results. I'm full of self doubt but I am Liz Streithorst, the Mama Bear, and if I can't do it myself, I might as well shut my mouth and stop advising others on what to do.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

That is just great Liz! The new RO did the trick I think. Hope the pair are parent raisers for you, otherwise off to the LFS they will go, right? You are no failure my friend.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Great news Mama Bear...what is the pair you have fry from? Any pics of the pair? Bless

Real Name
    Patty

Congratulations Liz! I’m so happy for you! Yipeee!
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Shan

Hi Liz I am curious as to what your PH is with a TDS of 75 and a KH of 4.5?
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

The one meter or test I do not have is one to measure pH but back when I did have one my aged water was 7.2 while from the tap it was a lovely 6.8. My water doesn't make a lick of sense, does it Shan? Although I guess weird water is something you've had a lot of experience with, isn't it?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

Yea that's why I asked. That really doesn't make sense if the aged water is 7.2. Im getting water problem PTSD again, haha.

I just figured if your TDS is like mine, and with a higher KH, maybe your PH would be higher than mine, but it's lower. hmm.

My water currently had 75 TDS but I add RO Right and Alkaline buffer and that boosts my PH to a 7.6-7.8 range and my KH to 4-5. Hard to tell with the switch from the Low Ph range and High Ph range test tubes.

Regardless I think I've learned a lot and at the end of the day a stable PH as well as other parameters are key. And I think mineralizing near RO water is the right way to go.

At least I think so because the few angels and glowlight tetras I have are flourishing and eating like carnivores still. And I've changed nothing in my routine since losing my discus.

P.S. im glad your discus are working towards having a great family! Psst if you ever sell any batches of fry in the future I will throw my wallet in your general direction
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

I'm glad that everything is going well with your new Angels. When the time comes that I have fry to sell I'll give you a good deal and throw in some BN Pelcos and some Rams for free if you want them. You have been through a lot.

Water chemistry is very complex. What works for some water will not work for other water. What we need here more than anything is a water expert. They exist. They are just not here.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Jumping in to the mineralization discussion for ro water. Currently I’m using 100% to with ro right into being the tds back to 200. It gets me to a kh of 3, gh of 0 and a ph of 7.4. Am I doing this right or is there something else I should be adding as well?

I have had 0 gH forever. I have never had any problem with the health nor growth of my Discus. Due to 20 years experience with O gH I have come to believe that the minerals the Discus come from their food, not from their water. Your numbers sound good.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thank you Liz. Appreciate the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast