AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Economical Discus Food?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Madhan

Default Best Economical Discus Food?

Dear All

Please suggest if the below combination food is good for Discus(Red passion,Golden Checkerboard,Turquoise Galaxy,Blue Diamond), Rainbows, Barbs, Ramrezi , tetras , platies and glass cat fishes ?:
    Hikari Vibra Bites 250 gms
    Tetrabits 93 gms

Thanks
    Madhan

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Best Economical Discus Food?

Hi Madhan,

While I am not familiar or haven't used your above mentioned foods, I do know that most feed a beefheart mixture as it is cheap and easy to make yourself, while providing good nutrition. Its downside is it fowls the water quickly.
    I personally feed FDBW (black worms) and Ocean Nutrition Discus Pellets. Not the cheapest way to go though.

Registered Member

I used to feed beef heart but stopped. Fouls the water, I worried that if gristle was included that it might be hard for the fish to digest, and they do not eat beef heart in their natural state. I feed a mixture of FDBW, Bug Bites (a high salmon content blend) and TetraColor. Once a day either blood worms or brine shrimp. I think the overall cost is low.

Quote Originally Posted by madhan1979 View Post
    Dear All

Please suggest if the below combination food is good for Discus(Red passion,Golden Checkerboard,Turquoise Galaxy,Blue Diamond), Rainbows, Barbs, Ramrezi , tetras , platies and glass cat fishes ?:
    Hikari Vibra Bites 250 gms
    Tetrabits 93 gms

Thanks
    Madhan
    Here's what I don't understand, how can folks buy a classy water box $$$$$ and pricey DISCUS but they can't drop the dime for quality foods, maybe their stuck in the myth rather than the fact of keeping discus

Just my opinion

Real Name
    Willie

Hi Madhan;

My discus have fed on both VibraBites and Tetra-bits. I've also seen discus raised from 2" fish to adults solely on flake food. They'll do fine on either. VibraBites cost 3X Tetra-bits in the US, although it has better ingredients. The shape of VibraBites makes them more desirable to smaller fish, like the dithers you referenced. Will they raise nice discus? Certainly flake food works fine.

What's the advantage of frozen foods? It's high in protein content, and also as higher fat content. You live in a vegetarian country so you know that plant proteins can substitute for animal proteins. Beefheart is not readily available. Meat, however, has much higher levels of fat. The result in NA and EU is that our discus look like linebackers. They grow thick with bulging heads. I'm not convinced that they grow any faster or bigger. I've grown used to this look, but I can also appreciate slimmer looking adults.

My fish will eat more in 10 minutes than a wild discus will eat in a week, so nutrition is not the limiting factor. So to each his own.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Depends where you live and what is popular there. I suggest you look what your local fish stores sell and what you can get online and then compare the prices. All of the major brands should have special discus foods that will do fine for most fish, just add some pellets for the bottom dwellers. I think I used Tetra in the past and it was fine. Fist you have to see and test what you fish will eat (ask the store what they are feeding), then you can buy a bigger packaging of that food, which is usually cheaper. Just dont go overboard with the breeder sized containers because the food will loose its quality over time
    As for beefheart, its a tried and tested although sometimes controversial food. But for me the biggest issue is its actually more expensive than store bought granules and wayyy more work

Registered Member

Grow your own white worm. Cost probably
    the amount of fish posted should be one slice of bread a week.

Cliff

I only use pellets for Discus. Since my old supplier of food made fresh in small batches quit after his wife died suddenly I've been searching for another supplier. I'll tell you, I have put a lot of Discus food on the compost heap because I tried it and they didn't like it. I finally found another supplier who makes fish food that all my fish like, from little baby ram and Rainbow fish fry to adult size Discus. I feed my adult Discus phase 4. For your smaller fish either phase 2 or 3 depending on if they are little or adults. This is his web site:
    http://fishguysplace.com/
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Is that the same as "Four phase" foods? I will order some on your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I only use pellets for Discus. Since my old supplier of food made fresh in small batches quit after his wife died suddenly I've been searching for another supplier. I'll tell you, I have put a lot of Discus food on the compost heap because I tried it and they didn't like it. I finally found another supplier who makes fish food that all my fish like, from little baby ram and Rainbow fish fry to adult size Discus. I feed my adult Discus phase 4. For your smaller fish either phase 2 or 3 depending on if they are little or adults. This is his web site:
    http://fishguysplace.com/

Frank, please email the maker of this food. Order a small amount and see if your fish like it as much as mind, Paul, the maker of the food is very forthcoming and helpful.'m sure that the 4 phase food is the same as what I called phase 4. As a favor, please tell him who recommended his food to you and where.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Frank, please email the maker of this food. Order a small amount and see if your fish like it as much as mind, Paul, the maker of the food is very forthcoming and helpful.'m sure that the 4 phase food is the same as what I called phase 4. As a favor, please tell him who recommended his food to you and where.

Real Name
    Tom

Years back I was given a sample of 'Fry Crack' and my baby rams loved it !
    The price on the food you listed is very good Liz and I will mention you when I order some !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Thanks, Tom. I'd like to encourage him to become a sponsor here, but I don't know if he could afford it since he's small potatoes.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    Here's what I don't understand, how can folks buy a classy water box $$$$$ and pricey DISCUS but they can't drop the dime for quality foods, maybe their stuck in the myth rather than the fact of keeping discus

Just my opinion

While I agree with Sturiosoma’s comment in general, I would like to toss out a piggyback of his reply. I guess the word economical is in need of examination. Paying for all the equipment, fish, and supplies is best protected economically by the use of proven quality foods. How could it be economically feasible to spend much less for lesser quality foods when big bucks were spent to acquire the fish only to lose them to inferior foods? It’s like buying an expensive car only to put on the cheapest set of tires to save money.....you get what you pay for.

Then, there is buying FDBW from Al S. here at this site. Yes.....a kg of food is a bit pricey up front, but it lasts a long time and is of the highest quality. Btw....Hikari frozen blood worms are good. I do suggest one thaws the cubes in water, then pours them into a tea strainer and run RO water through to wash out the frozen fluid (you’ll see slight reddish Water coming out) and thus eliminate more nitrate producing stuff you’d be putting into your tank. I’ve tried VibraBites w limited success....picky fish.....but think they’re pretty good as well.

Just to be clear.......if your question about economical foods was instead, say.....abt economical heaters, I’d be saying the same thing. Had your question centered around buying the most economical Discus, I’d be suggesting you wait and save up to buy the higher priced quality Discus fish bc you’d be so much happier as opposed to some lesser quality cheaper fish from an unproven source/pet shop. With some things like Discus, one needs reliable quality to help increase the odds of success....that’s all. Generally speaking....it’s most economically sound to buy the best quality one can afford with much of what we buy thus increasing the odds of assuring our getting the most (quality, life, reliability, and service ) from the product being purchased.

Real Name
    Tom

I feed Kens growmeal [all sizes] and have for years .It is under $5 for a half pound and IMO comparable to New Life Spectrum .
    I also bought some pretty expensive 'pellet food ' lately [discus siner] and pretty much think it is Kens growmeal for 10X the price ?
    My discus fry have been fed the kens growmeal along with my dantumn and Altum [which are breeding like crazy lately ].
    Although I agree for the most part that you get what you pay for [Ifeed Als freeze dried black worms also] I would not discourage some one from trying an affordable food .
    What is the risk ? If the fish don't like it , it was cheap ..I have never experienced a nutritional issue from my 'cheap' foods and the protein and other nutrient values are the same or BETTER then much more expensive foods..
    Here are some links to food I offer my fish ;
    https://kensfish.com/collections/kens-crumbles-granules Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein 55.0% Min., Crude Fat 18.0%Min., Crude Fiber 2.0% Max., Moisture 10.0% Max.

https://kensfish.com/collections/aqu...ster-fish-food Additives: Dietary physiological additives per kg: Vitamin A 7,500 IU, vitamin C 1,000 mg, vitamin D3 800 IU, vitamin E 400 mg, Astaxanthin 5 mg | Trace elements per kg: Zincsulfate monohydrate 110 mg, Manganesesulfate monohydrate 16 mg, Coppersulfate pentahydrate 2 mg, Iodate calcium 1.2 mg | Antioxidants | Zootechnical additives per kg: Probiotic Pediococcus acidilactici 3,000 CFU/mg
    Ingredients: Crude protein 54 %, crude oils and fats 16 %, crude ash 10 %, crude fiber 4 %

https://kensfish.com/collections/ken...500-800-micron Protein 54%, Crude Fat 9%, Fiber 2%, Moisture 9%

The three foods I linked are very affordable and have values you will have a hard time beating ,but what I know ?
    Last edited by coralbandit; 04-24-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast