AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Success....

Registered Member

Default Success....

Okay here's an update. My discus laid eggs about a week or so ago. I asked about that on here and the consensus was that the first 10 to 20 spawns would be largely unsuccessful and it's possible the eggs are not getting fertilized at all. I agree 100% these fish come from two different stores and are the only two adult discus in the tank total of 4, with two adult and two juvenile. The two adults paired off and laid eggs and today I have wigglers. The adult discus are not eating the Wiggler's but they are lifting them and repositioning them as they come off of the intake pipe (The is a sponge on intake). I do not expect this to be a successful spawn, it is only the second time they've attempted it. I have zero experience breeding any species of fish. I have kept discus for probably eight and a half years total but very few of them if that makes sense. I am also in the minority on this forum as far as water changes go. I do one 70% water change every week, thorough toothbrushing of Hardscape and vacuum the substrate as it is not bare bottom. Of testable parameters the water is excellent with only a 5 to 15 parts million of nitrate pretty much neutral pH everything else in the ideal range that is on regular test kits. So there's some background, I actually have a video of The discus repositioning the wigglers I am pretty excited even to see that. Assuming this spawn fails, what do you guys who most of you I would consider to be experts especially in relation to me recommend? Off the top of my head I was thinking about a 20 or 29 gallon tank with a sponge filter, heater and a breeding cone, Then doing 50 to 75% water changes daily in that smaller tank to see if I can get some success. I am not afraid of hard work if I need to do a 100% water change every day I am not opposed to it. Am I way off base or does this sound like a good approach.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Success....

A 20g will work, a 29g is much better. If you do want to breed them then you should be committed to the hard work required to not just keep a spawn alive, but to ensure they become high quality, healthy and desirable by others. Unless you want to make room for 100 additional personal stock, lol...

Your fry will require heavy water changes. Some people to 100% - 200% every day. I have 2 BBS hatcheries and rotate new BBS hatches every 2 days and begin feeding the BBS within a few days of free swimming. Add other foods as they grow, etc... And then there's culling...

There are some good links in the archives and article index sections that you can read through on fry timeline and beyond... Good luck!

Registered Member

I appreciate it I will get a 29 yeah water changes on a tank only 29 gallons that's super easy no big deal 200% not an issue. Thanks for the awesome info. Could you answer this for me if you noticed this how long before they start to attached to the adults I don't expect these ones to do that but I'm curious because I haven't been able to find that with a quick Google search I have been reading previous post on this forum the truth is nobody really needs to ask any questions on here because all the information is available in previous posts but everybody likes to get a reply to their specific and current situation if that makes sense. That's why I posted I know that I can find all this info but it's nice to talk to somebody right now about what's happening right now it's kind of like that's nice what you've done in the past but what have you done lately haha

Real Name
    Brian

If they attach, they should all fully attach within 3 days of hatching.

Here are 3 great example of what to expect...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...cture-Timeline

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...cture-Timeline

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...eding-Timeline

Registered Member

Thank you!!

Real Name
    Tom

Nice on the eggs hatching .If the parents didn't eat the eggs and are not eating the fry there is no real reason to think they will fail .
    They may not succeed but they have already crossed two of the biggest hurdles successfully IMO ..
    Good luck man !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Thank you, i think they slid down into filter they were slowly moving down as the were repositioned by adult. I set up 29 gallon letting it cycle before i add them

Real Name
    Willie

If it's possible, I favor a 37 cube or 40 breeder for breeding. A 20 or 29 would work fine, but the larger tank gives you the option of moving the parents out rather than the spawn. Moving a filter in would give you instant cycling.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

So my plan is to breed them in the 29 gallon and then when the fryer ready to be on their own just move the parents back into my original Community tank from which they came. Does that sound reasonable I already purchased and set up the 29

Real Name
    Willie

Yes, that works. If you assume the success route, two additional things will happen.

1. The spawn will outgrow a 29 gal tank in 4 weeks.
    2. The pair will spawn again in 30 days or so.

You were fortunate to pick out two viable adults from a local fish store, so I expect that they will keep doing what comes naturally. So be prepared for good luck!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Awesome I have a 60 gallon tank empty in my garage if I need it

Registered Member

Willie do you agree with the other gentleman about leaving them in the main tank and then transferring them with the eggs to the secondary tank