ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus Size?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Question Discus Size?

Upon research I've recently been doing on discus it appears that when one wants to start discus ( me)they should go for the largest ones they can get? Apparently It saves hassle and headache. But I've also heard that smaller discus offer more learning but are more delicate and require more attention BUT adapt to new conditions that are not a bare-bottomed tank better, compared to larger ones that often struggle to adapt to such conditions. And larger discus you never knew what conditions they grew up in so you cannot set them in your controlled settings to ge tthe best growth out of them

Would smaller 2.5 inch discus be a better start to a discus journey then larger 4-5 inch ones? Can someone offer input to my ideas?

Info and suggestions would be appreciated

Jay

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus Size?

You will certainly learn more by starting with smaller discus, but possibly at the expense of losing some through trial and error. Larger ones may provide more stability at the expense of learning.

Either way, I suggest doing your research and find your own methods. It's much better to read and learn than to ask and react

Registered Member

Whatever you decide to go with. The only recommendation I have is to go with a reputable dealer. One that has great reviews, customer service and healthy discus.

Real Name
    Tom

IMO it really comes down to how often can and will you change water .
    Younger discus need more water changes but beyond that I think they are the better way to go ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    IMO it really comes down to how often can and will you change water .
    Younger discus need more water changes but beyond that I think they are the better way to go ?
    I do understand young discus need daily or alternating days of water changes? Other than water changing why do you think younger ones are the way to go?

Real Name
    Tom

They are cheaper and more easy to acclimate to your conditions and food choices .
    Often for many being an active part and watching the fish grow is very gratifying as opposed to just keeping them alive ?
    You get to have a real sense of achievement that goes along with the challenge .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Buy adults if your budget allows it. All too often I've seen juveniles purchased by newbies only to be stunted later.

What size tank will you be using?
    Chris V.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Cevoe View Post
    What size tank will you be using?
    I am not 100% sure but hopefully a 75 (which we already have) or at least a 55, if I can only get a 40 I will drop the idea of discus

When you said "not BB" did you mean planted? If so go with sub adults. If it's sand and driftwood with plants attached you can go with juvies. Please do WC every day if you opt for juvies. And most importantly choose a good vetted supplier. A great many of them are in our sponsor forum.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    When you said "not BB" did you mean planted? If so go with sub adults. If it's sand and driftwood with plants attached you can go with juvies. Please do WC every day if you opt for juvies. And most importantly choose a good vetted supplier. A great many of them are in our sponsor forum.
    I don't think I would go full out planted as my current planted tank is a mess, but I will have small amounts of plants like java ferns, stuck on driftwood, just to provide that extra bit of nitrate removal

Now this is just me, but I would go with 3" fish. Stay away from the little guys. Also, watch your water parameters like a hawk when you first get your fish in. After all, you're a newbie with Discus.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Well your advantages are that you keep plants already. So you know what it takes to grow plants and what’s needed to upkeep a planted tank. What you don’t know is what’s needed to upkeep a discus tank. Your saying your planted tank is a mess. Overgrown?? Thing with discus is the warm water. You will want to be at 84 or more degrees.java fern will melt. So your looking for crypts, swords and anubias to name a few. Don’t overfill the tank with plants. Let them grow in with the fish. Maybe one area with some plants they can hide behind.
    As to cleaning. Start with daily water changes of at least 50% as the fish grow you can move to every other day and last every 2 days. That’s as far as I can go. Plants make waste. Dead leaves and roots. These have to be removed. So every water change is going to be a vacume. Next even though most discus keepers like their sponge filters you will still need a canister or hob filter. I put sponges on the intakes.
    As to size I’m for smaller fish. Most sellers start with 2 1/2” fish. That to 3” really isn’t much of a difference. So either will do. Next I say to buy from a breeder not an importer/seller. I believe your getting a stronger fish from a breeder. I bought from Hans and his fish do seem strong.
    Thing is this is a harder way so you have to be dedicated. You have to change the water. Lots of good info from the discus gang! Good luck and I hope you give it a shot. Ask lots of questions.

Good advice being given.
    I think a 55 or 75 is a great size to start with and I am of the opinion to start with larger, maybe 3-1/2" +, 6 or 8 discus with initial daily 50% water changes.
    You'll be able to gauge what they need by what you do and don't do over the course of a few weeks.
    I always preferred bare bottom tanks but Tom knows how to get you going with planted after reading some of his posts.
    Either way, hope you find what works and it stays enjoyable for you.
    Almost forgot...very important to work with a proven and reputable supplier, as mentioned.
    I mainly bought from Hans and some good people I met through this site.
    Chris V.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

I would definitly consider Hans as one of the people to buy from, his domestic wilds are really nice.

Thanks for all the input and I will see what I can do in the coming weeks regarding bigger tanks and that is when I discus or don't discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast