AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus Size?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Default Re: Discus Size?

This is certainly true. Before I got these 4" fish from Hans, I purchased 3 juvenile (2.5"-3") Discus from a LFS... I didn't really know any better and I didn't know that those fish were sick.. They lived for only 3 weeks but boy, did I learn all sorts of things from that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    You will certainly learn more by starting with smaller discus, but possibly at the expense of losing some through trial and error. Larger ones may provide more stability at the expense of learning.

Either way, I suggest doing your research and find your own methods. It's much better to read and learn than to ask and react

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by FinalFins View Post
    Upon research I've recently been doing on discus it appears that when one wants to start discus ( me)they should go for the largest ones they can get? Apparently It saves hassle and headache. But I've also heard that smaller discus offer more learning but are more delicate and require more attention BUT adapt to new conditions that are not a bare-bottomed tank better, compared to larger ones that often struggle to adapt to such conditions. And larger discus you never knew what conditions they grew up in so you cannot set them in your controlled settings to ge tthe best growth out of them

Would smaller 2.5 inch discus be a better start to a discus journey then larger 4-5 inch ones? Can someone offer input to my ideas?

Info and suggestions would be appreciated

Jay
    Hi Jay.
    You have done your research which is great, but its a decision you have to make depending on the amount of work you are willing to dedicate to your hobby.

Personally, I like the idea of starting with a large group of smaller fish, to bring them up to their best potential, with the needed amount of care, and water changes. As they become larger you can thin the group out, keeping your favorites to suit the size of the tank.

I really like seeing the development of small fish, and colors starting to kick in. To make your task easier, buy fish from a reputable source that suits you.

Good luck with what you decide, and keep us posted...pictures are always welcomed on here.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Aaron

If you plan to put them directly into your 75 gallon tank you don't want babies, try for 4" fish. 2-2.5" discus are awesome to raise and watch grow into adults as you get to see all the changes that occur / colors come into their own. However, you will have a lot more success starting that size off in a smaller tank, say 20-30 gallon until they get to be pushing 4" which then could be transferred into the 75 gallon. Many that fail raising small discus imo is b/c they start them out in too big of a tank. The discus will feel more comfortable in a smaller tank thus thrive. Stress is a big thing, so the less stress you can create for them the better they will do. The only time I put discus under 3.5" in a 55 gallon or bigger is when I have 25+ of them that are growing out. Currently I have 18 2" growing out and they are in a 30 gallon tank. I will move them into a 55 gallon when they get to 3-3.5" and that will be 18 fish.... Adults you would only want 5... So if I were planning on just using my one tank say of 75 gallon, I would wait until I could afford getting 4"+ fish and ideally all of them at the same time. It will be worth the wait and you'll have a beautiful tank for years. While waiting you can work on getting everything else setup, perhaps add some cories or tetras to start...

Real Name
    Tom

Real Name
    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12