ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Breeding tank question

Registered Member

Default Breeding tank question

20200420_023704.jpg

This is a 29 gallon tank I set up last night for my breeding pair of discus theyre in my established tank. So I have seeded the tank with an old filter by squeezing that into the tank as well as some bacteria sources from the gravel vacuum of the tank. How long would you recommend cycling this tank I was thinking 3 to 5 weeks? I plan on doing at least 50% to 100% daily water changes once the discus enter the tank, because I plan on feeding beef heart. My water change amount will go up once I get fry or if someone on here tells me I'm way out of sorts. For some background if you don't know, I have actually had discus lay and fertilize eggs in my community tank, those eggs did hatch and the parents did not eat them and they were keeping them in a small group, but I think they ended up going into the filter unfortunately (as they were on intake tube). As a result of that experience I have set up this tank also if you notice anything wrong with this tank setup I am all ears so to speak. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ocellaris; 04-20-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Breeding tank question

You might check nitrates, etc if you are concerned, but if you put in a seeded sponge I think you're good to go.

Real Name
    Willie

The tank is immediately cycled with the new sponge. For breeding purposes, I'd cut down on the water changes. In my experience, 20% - 30% every other day is more conducive to breeding than larger water changes daily. The objective is to promote breeding, not growth.

Have fun, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Awesome I appreciate the info. To clarify the sponge is new but I see did the tank if that makes sense by squeezing out and rinsing out a sponge from an existing established tank does that still qualify? I also put some waste type material siphoned from the bottom of the tank in there

Registered Member

Your thoughts are good and as many hobbyist have or had the same thoughts. Many and I say many times I have repeated Discus hobbyist call me and
    ask what went wrong the pair stop breeding after the move. I tell them there are no guarantees that they will spawn again it's an 50\50 chance.

Now may I only make some suggestions, let the pair spawn again in your establish tank, place an AC white sponge in the intake, pull the
    eggs out and place it and the pair in the new tank..

Good Luck,
    Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-20-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Registered Member

Okay so when the discus breed again move the eggs and them into the new tank? I simply have a lot of tank mates in the other one I just don't know if it's going to be viable with substrate in lots of hides

Registered Member

Okay so my discus laid eggs again they all appear to be fertilized safety transfer to the new tank at what point

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ocellaris View Post
    Okay so my discus laid eggs again they all appear to be fertilized safety transfer to the new tank at what point
    Are the parents looking after the eggs?

Cliff

Real Name
    Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Your thoughts are good and as many hobbyist have or had the same thoughts. Many and I say many times I have repeated Discus hobbyist call me and
    ask what went wrong the pair stop breeding after the move. I tell them there are no guarantees that they will spawn again it's an 50\50 chance.

Now may I only make some suggestions, let the pair spawn again in your establish tank, place an AC white sponge in the intake, pull the
    eggs out and place it and the pair in the new tank..

Good Luck,
    Cliff
    This is perfect, and exactly what I did. This method only works if you have a breeding cone or got lucky like me and they hatched on a filter tube. I just took a pitcher and transferee the eggs always in water. The eggs didn’t hatch for me because they were young parents but I will say having parent take care of eggs after the move is very ideal because I think it breaks up the stress of moving and they go right to parent mode. Once eggs died they were back on it again! Good luck mate!

Registered Member

Awesome I appreciate the info I moved them into the 29 yesterday after their third spawn in 10 days. Last time they didn't eat any of the fry and they just were repositioning them as the detached into a little pile. After this move they ate the eggs. But they are already in less than 12 hours exhibiting breeding Behavior again in the new tank. So we'll see but I have a really good feeling about this these two seem to want to breed pretty bad