ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Are these eggs fertilized?

Default Are these eggs fertilized?

This is the 4th time my pair have spawned. The last 3x have been eaten.
    I was wondering.... does it look like they are being fertilized?
    These must have been laid either last night or early this morning.

Registered Member

Default Re: Are these eggs fertilized?

Too early to tell if these eggs are fertile. I do see some eggs on the lower right that might be fertile but can't confirm till another couple
    days.

Cliff

Oh, okay, thank you Cliff! Ill be sure to post in a couple days if they make it that long. Hope so. Its so disheartening having the excitement of them laying-- just to have them eat them a couple days later.

By the way, do you raise discus? You are very close to me. Im looking to buy some more...

I would love to buy from Cliff as well. He knows Discus better than I do. He has great taste. Unfortunately he, like everyone, doesn't have what fits into my breeding program.

Be sure that if you want to breed you have suitable water for breeding and the extra tanks set up to raise a spawn. It's next to impossible to raise fry to big adult size in a planted tank.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    Oh, okay, thank you Cliff! Ill be sure to post in a couple days if they make it that long. Hope so. Its so disheartening having the excitement of them laying-- just to have them eat them a couple days later.

By the way, do you raise discus? You are very close to me. Im looking to buy some more...
    I am glad to help you. Since you are near me
    I use to give an mentor Discus Study Group at the Academy of Science back in 1990.
    Currently most of my Discus
    are going to a couple of brokers or
    distributor.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I am glad to help you. Since you are near me
    I use to give an mentor Discus Study Group at the Academy of Science back in 1990.
    Currently most of my Discus
    are going to a couple of brokers or
    distributor.

Cliff
    I would love to get some discus from you if and when you have some available. Im in Elk Grove , Ca. - Just South of Sacramento.
    I just got done driving (last June) to San Francisco 2-3 x weekly for 3 years. I got my Masters degree/teaching certificate at San Francisco University. Believe it or not, I miss the drive-- San Francisco is so beautiful.

Real Name
    Joshua

I would love to get some discus from you if and when you have some available. Im in Elk Grove , Ca. - Just South of Sacramento.
    I just got done driving (last June) to San Francisco 2-3 x weekly for 3 years. I got my Masters degree/teaching certificate at San Francisco University. Believe it or not, I miss the drive-- San Francisco is so beautiful.
    That’s crazy! I live in Elk Grove and I didn’t think there were any other people around EG other than myself and my Dad who loves discus!
    I am currently raising probably around 40-50 Fry and my plan is to take all fish and older discus out of my 150 and stock it with just these guys and go for a big school of the same kind (I have always wanted that). Of course even with my superior filtration and size that would be too many 😅. If your interested it probably would only be a short drive to check them out. A few things about them... this is my first time raising fry so my knowledge and experience are like dust to Cliff’s mountain 😂 and they are only 17 days old. If your interested I will probably have a good clutch to work out with you if you do. No worries if you don’t... as I said this is my first time and I am still worried if I will loose any once I move them. I am hoping all goes well! But in actuality hopefully you will get your eggs going!! Since we’re in the area too it’s always good to keep in touch with hobbyists.
    If you want to at least see the progression of my babies it’s the Corona Breeding for the Bored thread

Oh cool! Nice to have someone near me that is a hobbyist.
    Have you ever gone to meetings at the Sacramento Aquarium Society? You will find that there is a very robust group of fish-keepers, breeders, and even plant aficionados ( Tom Barr is a member of the SAS society) in the area.
    Unfortunately my discus ate the eggs within 2 hours. That is what they have done the last 4 times. It is so disheartening.
    I will check out your thread and fry. I may just get some from you.

Registered Member

BTW, there was a guy name Bernie that was
    breeding Discus in EG.

Cliff

Registered Member

Oh cool! Nice to have someone near me that is a hobbyist.
    Have you ever gone to meetings at the Sacramento Aquarium Society? You will find that there is a very robust group of fish-keepers, breeders, and even plant aficionados ( Tom Barr is a member of the SAS society) in the area.
    Unfortunately my discus ate the eggs within 2 hours. That is what they have done the last 4 times. It is so disheartening.
    I will check out your thread and fry. I may just get some from you.
    SAS the late Jim Quarle(success with Discus) was the president at one time.
    He would come to SFAS every month and attend
    my DiscusStudyGroup. Tom Barr was in charge of the PlantStudyGroup and sometimes
    we would have our meeting together. There
    was a wild Discus breeder I think his
    name was Bob at the SAS .

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 05-03-2020 at 03:05 PM.

@Cliff

Do you still go to SFAS meetings, Cliff? Ive thought about going to those meetings as well-- just to meet new people.
    Do you know Anthony-- I think his last name is Bester? I know him through The Planted tank and have met him to tour the san jose aquarium stores. Great guy.

Ill have to ask about the other people you mention next meeting ( whenever that will be). There are a lot of old-timers that have been there for decades. I have only been a member since July of last year.

Registered Member

I don't know if I met Anthony before but I have not been going to the SFAS meeting in awhile. BTW
    their meeting is only a few blocks from USF.

Cliff