ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: gill flukes

Registered Member

Default gill flukes

I have three discus that now have gill flukes. I have treated them with salt, general cure, live bearer, formalin and nothing has seemed to work. What would anyone suggest I can get some potassium permanganate but do not know what the doses is. I also have some piperazine dihydrochloride on hand. Thanks for any advice

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: gill flukes

For PP you mix 7 grams powder into 100ml water.That makes the solution .Each drop of the solution produces 1ppm per gallon .2 ppm is the safe dose .Never go over 3 or 4 ppm without having enough experience that you feel as confident using it as you would any de chlorinator . If it is not as simple as de chlorinating for you observe the 2 ppm rule .
    Use 2 drops per gallon to get a 2ppm dose for the tank .
    Water should stay purple/pink for 4 hours .If it goes yellow /brown in less you can dose again but only the one time .
    After the treatment [4 hours ] I deactivate the PP with H2O2 [ 3%] at 1 ml per gallon and then change water .You can pull your bio media if you choose but leave the filter running for circulation .
    You only do this the first couple times when you have time to stay and watch and always have the H2O2 or Prime on hand .
    If the fish show any negative reaction to using the PP de activate it right away with the H2O2 or Prime. and try on another day .

THIS STUFF IS NO JOKE AND IT WILL PERMANETLY STAIN ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING YOU GET THE POWDER OR LIQUID ON .WEAR GLOVES ,OLD CLOTHES AND SAFETY GOGGLES WHEN MIXING AND USE GREAT CARE AND WHAT EVER SAFETY YOU FEEL YOU NEED WHEN DOSING ..mix IT OUTSIDE OR IN THE GARAGE /BASEMENT /IN SERVICE SINK ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Francis

Just sharing...... Re: gill flukes and operculum
    I battled flukes for a few months in a dozen juvies and finally asked Andrew Soh for help. He gave me a plan which I followed to the T and though I continue to monitor obsessively, I have seen ZERO problems since--it has been months now.

Here is what he told me to do: Day 1, 4, 8: [He said any chemical treatment has to be applied 3 x to break a cycle].

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archiv...p/t-75687.html
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Just sharing...... Re: gill flukes and operculum
    I battled flukes for a few months in a dozen juvies and finally asked Andrew Soh for help. He gave me a plan which I followed to the T and though I continue to monitor obsessively, I have seen ZERO problems since--it has been months now.

Here is what he told me to do: Day 1, 4, 8: [He said any chemical treatment has to be applied 3 x to break a cycle].

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archiv...p/t-75687.html
    Andrew Soh's treatment regime works. I've used it successfully more than once. However, most people don't want to go to that much trouble to get rid of flukes. Everyone just wants to dump something in a tank one time and expect the fish to be cured. It doesn't work that way with flukes. Like people who spray their dog with flea spray once or twice and expect the dog to be cured of fleas forever.

Real Name
    Francis

Pure praziquantel should work against gill flukes too and less lethal to the discus .....just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Andrew Soh's treatment regime works. I've used it successfully more than once. However, most people don't want to go to that much trouble to get rid of flukes. Everyone just wants to dump something in a tank one time and expect the fish to be cured. It doesn't work that way with flukes. Like people who spray their dog with flea spray once or twice and expect the dog to be cured of fleas forever.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Steve

Yeah, but a lot of flukes have developed resistance to praziquantel unfortunately.

Real Name
    Francis

Thanks for the information.

QUOTE=smsimcik;1337852]Yeah, but a lot of flukes have developed resistance to praziquantel unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Hey thanks everyone for the tips very much appreciated. What I have decided to do is treat with potassium p. at this time however I would like to hear more of your remedies just wanted to say a big thank u for now

Registered Member

corallbandit for some reason I can't fiquer your math 7 grams is a lot to use as a mixture. I am dosing a 50 gal. tank so how many grams would I use. Thank u

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    corallbandit for some reason I can't fiquer your math 7 grams is a lot to use as a mixture. I am dosing a 50 gal. tank so how many grams would I use. Thank u
    7 grams makes the solution with 100ML[ just under 4 ounces] of water in a bottle .This should last you a fair amount of time ..
    Then you dose 2 drops of that solution per gallon ..
    I would not recommend adding it dry to a tank as you are into micro measurements and proper dosing is crucial with the safe use of this product .
    An old soda bottle [16 oz ] is what I use to mix in .

The beauty of PP is that un like any med or even salt it can be used when your fish are fish are healthy and it will have beneficial results .
    When I want I treat my tanks before my water changes .Prophylatic use is actually a good thing .But you need to dose safely and 2 ppm [2 drops of solution per gallon] is the chosen amount .
    1 ml. equals 20 drops basically so 2.5 ml is all you dose your 50g tank ...
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Thank u

Real Name
    Tanja

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    For PP you mix 7 grams powder into 100ml water.That makes the solution .Each drop of the solution produces 1ppm per gallon .2 ppm is the safe dose .Never go over 3 or 4 ppm without having enough experience that you feel as confident using it as you would any de chlorinator . If it is not as simple as de chlorinating for you observe the 2 ppm rule .
    Use 2 drops per gallon to get a 2ppm dose for the tank .
    Water should stay purple/pink for 4 hours .If it goes yellow /brown in less you can dose again but only the one time .
    After the treatment [4 hours ] I deactivate the PP with H2O2 [ 3%] at 1 ml per gallon and then change water .You can pull your bio media if you choose but leave the filter running for circulation .
    You only do this the first couple times when you have time to stay and watch and always have the H2O2 or Prime on hand .
    If the fish show any negative reaction to using the PP de activate it right away with the H2O2 or Prime. and try on another day .

THIS STUFF IS NO JOKE AND IT WILL PERMANETLY STAIN ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING YOU GET THE POWDER OR LIQUID ON .WEAR GLOVES ,OLD CLOTHES AND SAFETY GOGGLES WHEN MIXING AND USE GREAT CARE AND WHAT EVER SAFETY YOU FEEL YOU NEED WHEN DOSING ..mix IT OUTSIDE OR IN THE GARAGE /BASEMENT /IN SERVICE SINK ..
    Hi Tom I just realized that my fish also have flukes so I will do this treatment. Does Prime deactivate PP completely or will I have to use it with H202? Also, I have redoxlclean by Brightwell Aquatics which I will be using and it doesn't say the strength of the solution on the instructions of the bottle but I know it is potassium permanganate. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Real Name
    Tom

Either H202 or Prime should work by them selves .
    I would follow directions on the bottle for the Brightwell product I am unfamiliar with it .
    Got rams ?