ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Denver, new discus keeper here

Default Re: Hello from Denver, new discus keeper here

That's a good idea, peewee. When they grew larger he could move them to the 180.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    mark

Starting smaller probably is smarter. I have the 180 that was our saltwater. I have converted it to fresh because I had it.

I have discovered a problem. I need some ideas. Denve water, becasue of the covid 19, has bumped up the ph of the tap water to 8.8. This became effective 03/01. So the use of straight tap is out. I think there are two options. First would be to figure out the correct amount of buffers to add to the current tap to get it to the desired ph. This would be a bit of a pain, but would keep the fish alive. The second, find a way to drastically reduce the need for water changes, which is likely impossible. Maybe an added canister filter, protein skimmer, or gfo reactor. Input would be greatly appreciated.

mark

I don't understand how that could affect Covid 19 but that's what they told you. What was your pH from the tap before? Does your water come from a surface source or a well? Did the pH drop after you tested it for stability?

I know a couple of people who raise fish in 8's. One is still a friend. I asked her if she might be able to help.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Hi Mark, it is me, Barb, Liz's friend. I keep my discus in our tap water which is in the 9's. And so hard with minerals I don't even bother testing. I raised my 8 discus, 2"ers from Hans in this tap water. I don't test water at all! I just change 50-75% every day. My discus are full grown now, 5-7", totally healthy. I have fed only high quality dry foods. The tank is 75 gal, bare bottom, with some nice wood, and a large Amazon Sword in a pot. Keep it simple, change lots of water, keep it warm and well filtered and the fish will be fine in your tap water only. Just add dechlor at each wc, I use Safe. Good luck. I use only 3 large sponge filters and 2 heaters. Remember, keep it simple.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by vintageguy64 View Post
    Starting smaller probably is smarter. I have the 180 that was our saltwater. I have converted it to fresh because I had it.

I have discovered a problem. I need some ideas. Denve water, becasue of the covid 19, has bumped up the ph of the tap water to 8.8. This became effective 03/01. So the use of straight tap is out. I think there are two options. First would be to figure out the correct amount of buffers to add to the current tap to get it to the desired ph. This would be a bit of a pain, but would keep the fish alive. The second, find a way to drastically reduce the need for water changes, which is likely impossible. Maybe an added canister filter, protein skimmer, or gfo reactor. Input would be greatly appreciated.

mark
    Mark, if you are somewhat concerned about the pH you can lower it. I use peat moss. From the tap I am at around 7.8. Good enough but I want lower. I put a bag of peat moss in the filter system. At this time I have enough moss to drop the pH to 7.2 or 7.0. Other than peat moss you can also use activated carbon to help it along. Decrease aeration of the aquarium. Stability is important keeping in mind that fish can adapt to a pH that is slightly off their preferred preference, it is the fluctuations that causes stress and fatalities. The pH will vary during the day, Also, some driftwood will soften the water and lower the pH. You can increase CO2 levels (planted aquariums) and use a blend of RO water. as well.

Real Name
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I don't understand how that could affect Covid 19 but that's what they told you. What was your pH from the tap before? Does your water come from a surface source or a well? Did the pH drop after you tested it for stability?

I know a couple of people who raise fish in 8's. One is still a friend. I asked her if she might be able to help.
    It was not bumped up because of COVID, it was bumped up because many have old pipes in their homes.

"Denver Water will adjust the pH level of the water it delivers to its customers as part of its long-term program to reduce the amount of lead that can leach into water from old household plumbing"

"Denver Water plans to increase its pH range to between 8.5 and 9.2, with a target of 8.8."

I use to get a stable 7.8 now I am getting around 8.0 after I age the water.

Also, greetings everyone.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusP View Post
    It was not bumped up because of COVID, it was bumped up because many have old pipes in their homes.

"Denver Water will adjust the pH level of the water it delivers to its customers as part of its long-term program to reduce the amount of lead that can leach into water from old household plumbing"

"Denver Water plans to increase its pH range to between 8.5 and 9.2, with a target of 8.8."

I use to get a stable 7.8 now I am getting around 8.0 after I age the water.

Also, greetings everyone.
    I see what you did there. To be honest the Denver water was bumped up becase Elway is a doofus. Plan and simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12