AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's F1 Growouts from Wild Parents - A Pleasant Surprise!

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: A Pleasant Surprise!

Plans are in the making for separation. I have one empty tank presently.
    Looks like I went from 9 discus to 31

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Hey, Frankie, bottom photo second fry from the right. Would you be so kind as to pack that one up for shipping and send it to me? You pay for shipping. Kidding but seriously you are on your way to having more fish than you have room for. I think Petco has that tank sale going on right now!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Plans are in the making for separation. I have one empty tank presently.
    Looks like I went from 9 discus to 31
    I don't have an empty tank so when I noticed a pair pecking I went to the lfs to inquire if they would take little discus in exchange for store credit. As luck would have it they will.

Real Name
    Frank

The plan is to separate the fry from the parents Monday week. I have guests coming in for a week so that rules out any fry separation and tank prep. I am planning on moving the fry to a divided 40g breeder. Parents on one side, fry on the other for now. Longer term, the divider will slide as they hopefully grow out. A big day coming for the pair and fry.
    Tomorrow, the fry will be 21 days. Some pics from this morning after their first feeding.

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looking awesome Frank! Enjoy the week with your guests mate. Appreciate the updates and look forward the next phase for the fry and parents!

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Daniel. I do consider the separation as the next phase.
    We will see how she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Looking awesome Frank! Enjoy the week with your guests mate. Appreciate the updates and look forward the next phase for the fry and parents!

I can't remember when I read a thread as exciting as this one. I love the parents and you have done perfectly in the raising of the kids. Have you given any consideration yet with what you will do with the fry that you don't decide to keep for yourself? I can't make a decision until my babies reach 3" at least, but I'm looking for pattern, I expect you will select for shape. Have you given any consideration to shipping? Your kids would bring a premium in the right market...Here .
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Thank you Liz. I follow your postings with great interest. Looking forward to your success with the pair. I am very, very novice with this but I have had excellent counsel from this website both in direct postings, conversations, and much reading of older threads. Every day is considered a day of success.

I have not really given much thought to your questions at this point. I am very much enjoying this process but do not consider myself a "breeder-want-to-be." Even if I wanted to move in that direction, I don't have the space in my study. lol. My very initial thinking is just to get them successfully separated after 4 weeks, starting the process of grow-outs. How many to keep? Depends on shape and pattern as you noted. I will also have some to cull. Shipping, selling, gifting, keeping? We will see as the process moves forward. Now, ... if they spawn again???

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I can't remember when I read a thread as exciting as this one. I love the parents and you have done perfectly in the raising of the kids. Have you given any consideration yet with what you will do with the fry that you don't decide to keep for yourself? I can't make a decision until my babies reach 3" at least, but I'm looking for pattern, I expect you will select for shape. Have you given any consideration to shipping? Your kids would bring a premium in the right market...Here .

Real Name
    Frank

Happy 21 day old!
    First feeding of the day. Zooming in makes the pictures a little fuzzy. Sorry.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Like Liz Frank I am enjoying the process with you You and the fish are doing such a good job. There is a good chance the pair could spawn again once the pair and fry are separated so could be some hard decisions moving forward.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Thank you Liz. I follow your postings with great interest. Looking forward to your success with the pair. I am very, very novice with this but I have had excellent counsel from this website both in direct postings, conversations, and much reading of older threads. Every day is considered a day of success.

I have not really given much thought to your questions at this point. I am very much enjoying this process but do not consider myself a "breeder-want-to-be." Even if I wanted to move in that direction, I don't have the space in my study. lol. My very initial thinking is just to get them successfully separated after 4 weeks, starting the process of grow-outs. How many to keep? Depends on shape and pattern as you noted. I will also have some to cull. Shipping, selling, gifting, keeping? We will see as the process moves forward. Now, ... if they spawn again???
    Frankie, I see that one with the bars again. I have been reading a study of fish genetics. Something that caught my attention regarding fish living in the wild. Their color is, as you know, dictated by both their habitat and their food supply. So they all tend to look the same. Yet it was surmised that every now and again about 1 in 1,000 end up with a different, or unique, coloring. What you might consider is to move out in any way those that are common or the same as what you now have while being vigilant for that which is special. Your fish will continue to breed but eventually you will find those that would be your "keepers".

Example, I do not want to add more tank space but I do have a potential breeding pair moved to a breeding tank. I did not replace them in the tank that they were moved from because I want that space free for maybe the one or two unique ones that I want to keep for future breeding. The rest I am going to give to the LFS so they, maybe for a change, get some decent locale fish to sell to their customers.
    Last edited by peewee1; 06-07-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Real Name
    Frank

Thank you Pat. Your and Brian's grow-out challenge is still provoking thought about mine going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Like Liz Frank I am enjoying the process with you You and the fish are doing such a good job. There is a good chance the pair could spawn again once the pair and fry are separated so could be some hard decisions moving forward.
    Pat

Real Name
    Frank

Gotta wonder where you got "Frankie" from!?
    Your knowledge is far beyond mine. I will have to make some decisions especially when I will probably get another spawn. I am not avoiding the hard decisions as I want to keep the pair together. They are really good parents. My LFS is interested in my F1's. I am not sure I am interested in them. I don't do that much business from them so store credit is not towards my benefit. I would probably offer some for sale (locally for sure). I am a long ways from those decisions though.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Frankie, I see that one with the bars again. I have been reading a study of fish genetics. Something that caught my attention regarding fish living in the wild. Their color is, as you know, dictated by both their habitat and their food supply. So they all tend to look the same. Yet it was surmised that every now and again about 1 in 1,000 end up with a different, or unique, coloring. What you might consider is to move out in any way those that are common or the same as what you now have while being vigilant for that which is special. Your fish will continue to breed but eventually you will find those that would be your "keepers".

Example, I do not want to add more tank space but I do have a potential breeding pair moved to a breeding tank. I did not replace them in the tank that they were moved from because I want that space free for maybe the one or two unique ones that I want to keep for future breeding. The rest I am going to give to the LFS so they, maybe for a change, get some decent locale fish to sell to their customers.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Good to see you enjoying this event frank, but most of all thanks for the wonderful pictures you are taking to share with us all.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Joe, that an encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Good to see you enjoying this event frank, but most of all thanks for the wonderful pictures you are taking to share with us all.

Frank, I just stumbled on this thread, I have missed alot ! Congratulations on your success here..The Pair is beautiful..and the fry look really good at this point. Theres one little guy in post 163 that looks like it it has a bad gill plate but the rest look great, Nice work ! I enjoyed reading the journey.

Going forward be sure wipe down the tank and do adequate water changes. Its not a bad idea to add another sponge filter so you can alternate rinsing them.. they gunk up fast. Alot of people under estimate how exponentially the Bioload in a tank of fry grows with multiple feedings...that can lead to spikes in ammonia and nitrates.. Water quality is everything at this point.

Keep up the great work! and keep those photos coming as they grow...This is the stuff that makes the Hobby so addicting.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast