AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's F1 Growouts from Wild Parents - A Pleasant Surprise!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: A Pleasant Surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Everyone is helpful.
    Brine shrimp are on the way.

Pat, quick question. I am up to around page 43 of your posting. You had about 40 fry. You kept them in the 120g until they were a little over 4 weeks.
    I assume that you fed them 6-8x a day. How much for that many fry? 5 or 10 ml per feeding? Perhaps a gradual increase as they get older. I have noticed that the parents don’t eat (or very little).
    Hi Frank, the Tefe fry were in a divided 230 so their space was 2 x2 by 32 inches so a huge space compared to most breeding setups. I used a syringe with a long bit of rigid airline tubing to target the BBS and released the BBS a bit above the fry and allowed the BBS to drift down to the fry. You start with small amounts to get the fry to accept the BSS and later you will see the fry get little orange bellies when they get full so the fish will teach you.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

Excellent. Another question as I was reading your post on the Tefe. I have not done anything with my temps - 30C. Should that be a concern? You mentioned in a post that perhaps the fry developed too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Frank, the Tefe fry were in a divided 230 so their space was 2 x2 by 32 inches so a huge space compared to most breeding setups. I used a syringe with a long bit of rigid airline tubing to target the BBS and released the BBS a bit above the fry and allowed the BBS to drift down to the fry. You start with small amounts to get the fry to accept the BSS and later you will see the fry get little orange bellies when they get full so the fish will teach you.
    Pat

Frank, 24 hours to hatch or at least that has been my experience with BBS from Brine Shrimp Direct. I hate the turkey baster approach. I prefer a large syringe with a long bit of rigid airline tubing and use a bit of airline hose to attach the rigid airline tubing to the syringe. Or use the rigid airline tubing attach to a long bit of airline tubing as a siphon into another container. Then you can pour the container into a rigid coffee filter to remove the salt water and store the BBS in the frig.
    Pat
    Here is my syringe of choice , for every tooth you have pulled at my dentist you get one of these FREE

JeanneDSCN0275.jpg

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Jeanne. I like it but don't know if I would give a tooth for it. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    Here is my syringe of choice , for every tooth you have pulled at my dentist you get one of these FREE

JeanneDSCN0275.jpg

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Excellent. Another question as I was reading your post on the Tefe. I have not done anything with my temps - 30C. Should that be a concern? You mentioned in a post that perhaps the fry developed too fast.
    Frank, generally F1 wilds grow slower then domestics and I ended up not growing the Tefe F1s out well (I have a thread on that if you want to read it). I am currently growing out a group of F1 Cuipuea which came from Al. I have a growout thread on those which could be a good read for you. Also I would suggest dropping the temp to about 84F because bacteria grows faster at higher temps.
    Pat

Real Name
    Frank

24 hours and viable eggs. I do have more white eggs this time but there are plenty viable left. Hoping to see wrigglers unto attachment.

Real Name
    Frank

I lowered my water in my 75g after the divider got put in. For the parents, 20x18x20 area.
    The syringe is the way to go.

Pat

Real Name
    Frank

Eggs are still there but another potential setback. My room breaker tripped last night so filtration stopped once my battery reserve ran out. I guess it was off maybe 2-4 hours but not sure. The parents are still fanning and guarding the eggs.

Real Name
    Frank

We have little wrigglers this morning. We will see how far I get this time.

Real Name
    Pat

Nice
    Pat

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks. This group has had more difficulties than the previous. The wrigglers are staying better on the cone. Since my canister crashed, I partitioned the 75g and added sponge filters (one on each side), and upped WC (and Prime) to compensate for the lack of cycling. So far, progress.

I have not been putting any food for the pair as they seem uninterested. Normal? Should I offer any?

Nice
    Pat

Real Name
    Frank

Lost some but still probably have 30-50. The pair has already gone further this time with the wrigglers. We will see what the morning brings.

3DC270B1-556D-4494-A9AA-10B12AF45F24.jpg

Real Name
    Pat

progress is always good, congrats!

Real Name
    Frank

I was pleasantly surprised to see them moved. I guess there are perhaps 70+ wrigglers. The female is still fanning the original egg locality although I cannot really see any viable eggs. The male is guarding the wrigglers. This is the longest they have progressed. I gather they may move them again? They do seem to leave some who drop without putting them back on -- perhaps they died? Brine shrimp should be here today.

IMG_0018.jpg

Real Name
    Pat

Nice Frank and well done. On your feeding question you might offer small amounts of their favorite food but be prepared to remove it.
    Pat

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast