AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's F1 Growouts from Wild Parents - A Pleasant Surprise!

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: A Pleasant Surprise!

Today is the fry 1 week birthday!

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

Real Name
    Frank

Tom, can you get the golden pearls in the water column with the syringe? I could put some in water, suck up in syringe, but I am concerned they will float to the top. Hmmm...
    After they are bigger they move around more. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    Feed them as soon as the fry seem big enough to eat them .
    They are good stuff in my book and I feed golden pearls to all my fish of all sizes .
    I just drop them on surface and they mix into the water column eventually sinking.
    YOu can even mix them in with the BBS to trick train them to eat prepared foods ..
    The fry should quickly out grow that size IME but if they like them they will still keep eating them .
    I have sizes 100 -1,000. I get mine from Kensfish as they are most affordable from him compared to other sites like BSD .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Frank, I think you have the genders correct. My observations from breeding wilds is the female is generally smaller with a larger halo then the male. The striations are thinner on the female and the male generally has more striations then the female. Also if you look at the fish head on note the width between the eyes across the nose, the male will be thicker then the female.
    hth,
    Pat
    Is this consistent with all Discus species? I had been using the dorsal fin. My males all have streamer on the dorsal, the female have none. Or can a female have the streamer on the dorsal as well?

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Tom, can you get the golden pearls in the water column with the syringe? I could put some in water, suck up in syringe, but I am concerned they will float to the top. Hmmm...
    After they are bigger they move around more. Any thoughts?
    Yea once they are saturated they should not just float at the surface .
    Mine actually sink rather quickly ?
    I also use a surface skimmer like the Ehiem 3750 or Aquaneat to take food from surface and shoot it through the water column.
    I just remove the sponge and it works well to give floating food some mid water 'action' ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Is this consistent with all Discus species? I had been using the dorsal fin. My males all have streamer on the dorsal, the female have none. Or can a female have the streamer on the dorsal as well?
    It is true for wild blues and greens in my experience. Unsure about Heckels. I had one streamer in a wild male green. I have heard that domestic females can have streamers. I would rather other members comment on the gender differences between domestics as I do not have a lot of experience with domestics.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    It is true for wild blues and greens in my experience. Unsure about Heckels. I had one streamer in a wild male green. I have heard that domestic females can have streamers. I would rather other members comment on the gender differences between domestics as I do not have a lot of experience with domestics.
    Pat
    Thanks, Pat. I have three Alenquer cross, a Red, Stripped, and Brown, all with streamers. Also the Blue Scorpion has the streamer which has paired with an Albino Gold, with no streamer. I am thinking 4 males and one female. Don't know about the Heckel.

Real Name
    Frank

Peewee1, I have found your observation about streamers on the males true for my Alenquers.

Thanks, Pat. I have three Alenquer cross, a Red, Stripped, and Brown, all with streamers. Also the Blue Scorpion has the streamer which has paired with an Albino Gold, with no streamer. I am thinking 4 males and one female. Don't know about the Heckel.

Real Name
    Frank

Update for any that are interested.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They are really getting big Frank, very soon they will look like tiny cichlids and soon after, little discus.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Frank, your excellent photography is making this a great learning experience for us.

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks. That's encouraging to keep posting updates.

Frank, your excellent photography is making this a great learning experience for us.

Registered Member

Peewee1, I have found your observation about streamers on the males true for my Alenquers.
    I am not handy with camera and up loading things but I will try to get my son, Little Ricky, (his mother named him after the little kid on I Love Lucy) to try it for me so you can see what I am talking about. The Red Alenquer (thanks Kenny) has exceptional multiple streamer on both the top and bottom fins. He may well have been bred for that feature. I plan on breeding him for longer fins going forward. I think they do that with Angelfish? At least they used to. At the moment I do not have any female wild crosses so until Kenny gets going again so I can get some females from him I am on breeding hiatus.

Real Name
    Frank

This is not a confirmed male but like yours, it is from Kenny.
    You will note the streamer on the top fin. I wonder if Kenny has observed the same situation.

IMG_0162.jpg

I am not handy with camera and up loading things but I will try to get my son, Little Ricky, (his mother named him after the little kid on I Love Lucy) to try it for me so you can see what I am talking about. The Red Alenquer (thanks Kenny) has exceptional multiple streamer on both the top and bottom fins. He may well have been bred for that feature. I plan on breeding him for longer fins going forward. I think they do that with Angelfish? At least they used to. At the moment I do not have any female wild crosses so until Kenny gets going again so I can get some females from him I am on breeding hiatus.

Registered Member

This is not a confirmed male but like yours, it is from Kenny.
    You will note the streamer on the top fin. I wonder if Kenny has observed the same situation.

IMG_0162.jpg
    I am sure that he does notice. Because I cannot see the individual fish that I have purchased from Kenny I have Kenny select them on my behalf. Kenny's customer service is exceptional in that way. Like they say, "The Nordsrom of.....".

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Loving your updates. Good work Frank
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast