AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artificial rearing (trying my hand need help please )

Default Artificial rearing (trying my hand need help please )

Hi guys I have a pair of Red Scarlet S/S unfortunately they keep eating the wrigglers right before they go free swimming , I have pulled the eggs the last time and got about 50 fry to about 3 days but they were dying day by day looked as if they were feeding but just faded away , I put it down to a couple of labels that were on the raising tub that the glue might have got into the water and poisoned them , pulled a second batch but was a bit late and only about 20 hatched i have 5 left free swimming now at 4 days and trying them with BBS but would like to get it right for a good batch , the pair have a small amount of wrigglers just now which are due to go free swimming tomorrow so will see, anyway have been feeding them bakers egg yoke with a little spirulina mixed through every 4 hours , I have a mature sponge filter running and a small power head suppling water to a small reservoir which supplies the water to the top tray containing the fry in a mesh colander , I have coffee filters but the bottom is black so thought they wouldnt go to the black pipe , any input most welcome as would like to get this right many thanks for taking the time to read this stay safe thanks Ps tried everything with pic upload and just no go and file size is below max thanks

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Artificial rearing (trying my hand need help please )

Cliff just posted this link yesterday. He has done this successfully for ages. Proven & effective. Thanks Cliff!!
    https://www.mondodiscus.com/2007/11/...y-cliff-young/

Thanks for the reply and link I have read Cliffs excellent article a few times , and thank you Cliff for that article , just looking for some other tips and things i might be missing , I am using a kitchen sieve to hold the fry so they are getting a constant flow of fresh water , just wondering if the flow was to strong but they had no trouble swimming around and no sign of any current thanks.

Registered Member

I’m following Cliff’s approach. below fry having a lunch
    81D4322C-5F77-47EB-9C94-88D0C39B0E88.jpg

thanks I have tried everything to upload pics , done it before but for some reason just wont plat ball lol

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Cliff just posted this link yesterday. He has done this successfully for ages. Proven & effective. Thanks Cliff!!
    https://www.mondodiscus.com/2007/11/...y-cliff-young/
    Dan, Thanks for your kind words.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    I’m following Cliff’s approach. below fry having a lunch
    81D4322C-5F77-47EB-9C94-88D0C39B0E88.jpg
    Try to stick the yolk on the side, eating from the bottom may cause deformation at the mouth.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 10-26-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Hi guys I have a pair of Red Scarlet S/S unfortunately they keep eating the wrigglers right before they go free swimming , I have pulled the eggs the last time and got about 50 fry to about 3 days but they were dying day by day looked as if they were feeding but just faded away , I put it down to a couple of labels that were on the raising tub that the glue might have got into the water and poisoned them , pulled a second batch but was a bit late and only about 20 hatched i have 5 left free swimming now at 4 days and trying them with BBS but would like to get it right for a good batch , the pair have a small amount of wrigglers just now which are due to go free swimming tomorrow so will see, anyway have been feeding them bakers egg yoke with a little spirulina mixed through every 4 hours , I have a mature sponge filter running and a small power head suppling water to a small reservoir which supplies the water to the top tray containing the fry in a mesh colander , I have coffee filters but the bottom is black so thought they wouldnt go to the black pipe , any input most welcome as would like to get this right many thanks for taking the time to read this stay safe thanks Ps tried everything with pic upload and just no go and file size is below max thanks
    Free swimming and dying on the 4th day usually means either they were feeding off their own egg sack or a bacteria problem. The egg yolk forms
    bacteria quickly with the high temperature. So more water changes are required.

Cheers!
    Cliff

Many thanks for both your input and your article Cliff, I had them in a large plastic tub with another tub suspended at an angle and in a mesh colander, (big tucks method) however I had a flow of water coming from one of the outputs and just wondering if that could have exhausted then , I did see them eating and they were starting on brine shrimp but slowly they started to fade and die, I was rinsing the shrimp in cold water to take away any salt content https://photos.app.goo.gl/eZSeUXnkmZYc3qYTA https://photos.app.goo.gl/zLaFgg6iKTUGYBkg6 https://photos.app.goo.gl/aR3k9mwhTLyfe2fH9

Registered Member

I rinse the BBS in fresh dechlorine water but I have seen another breeder that didn't rinse without any problems.

Cliff

I have always rinsed my BBS , for my fry , but dont thing that was the problem , noticed today heater was at 82 , that would not help matters would it thanks .

Registered Member

I have always rinsed my BBS , for my fry , but dont thing that was the problem , noticed today heater was at 82 , that would not help matters would it thanks .
    Temperature at 82 is fine, but how often do you change the water in the tub?

Cliff

Hi Cliff I have raised the temp to 28c , they are in a tub which has a continuous flow from the larger tub below, which has a mature sponge filter in it , see my pics in previous post ,so never done any water changes, but can do if you think it will help , I have just pulled more eggs today so see what happens, have noticed egg yield is getting less any tips in getting more yield from the female , thanks for the replies.

Registered Member

Hi Cliff I have raised the temp to 28c , they are in a tub which has a continuous flow from the larger tub below, which has a mature sponge filter in it , see my pics in previous post ,so never done any water changes, but can do if you think it will help , I have just pulled more eggs today so see what happens, have noticed egg yield is getting less any tips in getting more yield from the female , thanks for the replies.
    I think you might get better percentage if there were more freshwater. I have seen a breeder using a 100 gallon tank dripping water down to a
    small tiny bowl probably quart size. The small bowl with the fry would have a hole with smash, so water would drop down to another tank, but
    freshwater was refill daily.

As far as more eggs with each spawn its difficult to say some breeders say feed live worms, then there are the small sperm count males.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 11-02-2020 at 05:04 PM.

thanks again for your reply Cliff , once they are free swimming I will do a daily water change in the larger tub , see how that goes , will let you know how it goes this time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast