ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's F1 Growouts from Wild Parents - A Pleasant Surprise!

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: A Pleasant Surprise!

Thanks Al! Always enjoy your postings and activity on your forum.

I had not noticed the bad gill plate but did notice that he is one of my smallest ones. Makes sense if it has a damaged gill plate. I have another that looks like someone told a "chomp" out of his top fin into his body a little.

The reminder of WC and wipe downs are on target of course. Right now I am doing about 40% WC daily, wipe downs once a week. I have 3 sponge filters in the 75g and alternate 1, one week; 2 the other. Maybe I should go weekly?

To everyone: keep the comments, reminders, and advice flowing. For a novice fry keeper, the parents are doing better than the owner. In my mind, next week is the big week.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Frank, I just stumbled on this thread, I have missed alot ! Congratulations on your success here..The Pair is beautiful..and the fry look really good at this point. Theres one little guy in post 163 that looks like it it has a bad gill plate but the rest look great, Nice work ! I enjoyed reading the journey.

Going forward be sure wipe down the tank and do adequate water changes. Its not a bad idea to add another sponge filter so you can alternate rinsing them.. they gunk up fast. Alot of people under estimate how exponentially the Bioload in a tank of fry grows with multiple feedings...that can lead to spikes in ammonia and nitrates.. Water quality is everything at this point.

Keep up the great work! and keep those photos coming as they grow...This is the stuff that makes the Hobby so addicting.

Al

Real Name
    Frank

A couple of quick pics. This Sunday will be 4 weeks and the time of separation from the parents is near. I might get it done over the weekend; if not, Monday. These are not the best nor most comprehensive pictures but they will do for now.

Wednesday ...

IMG_0388.jpg

Today ...

IMG_0453.jpg

Registered Member

No need to apologize, Frank. The photos serve to get the message out. The parents are wild cross Alenquer?

Real Name
    Frank

Wild Royal Blue Cuipeua was their description.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    No need to apologize, Frank. The photos serve to get the message out. The parents are wild cross Alenquer?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Wild Royal Blue Cuipeua was their description.
    That was my second guess! With that known then you should get a few of those with the beautiful blue striation. You probably already knew that the Cuipeua come from Lago Cuipeua which is a part of the Alenquer area. The Alenquer and the Cuipeua must be cousins?

Real Name
    Frank

I didn't know the "cousin" part. You are a wealth of information!

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    That was my second guess! With that known then you should get a few of those with the beautiful blue striation. You probably already knew that the Cuipeua come from Lago Cuipeua which is a part of the Alenquer area. The Alenquer and the Cuipeua must be cousins?

Those kids look fantastic.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I agree they look great !
    Wait till you see how fast they grow after you separate them from the parents in the next month ,and then again.
    I am shocked how fast these guys grow personally and have several other kinds of fish .
    What size tank do plan on growing them in next ?
    I moved my guys to a 29 at 4 weeks and some were ready to be moved to a larger tank by 8 weeks .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Liz. You are encouraging.
    Today they were attacking a FDBW cube and some loose at the surface. I have some fines from Al for babies that I will start with the separation grow-out. One of the fry took a worm (which was as long as the fry). Another got on the other end. They played tug-a-war for awhile. Brought a smile and a laugh.
    I think several of the fry "choked" some down. Their bellies were pretty big. Good thing the worms were totally soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Those kids look fantastic.

Real Name
    Frank

The fry are ready for sure! Several have commented on their fast growth rate. My response was that in the wild, you better grow up fast!

I am moving them to a 40g breeder with a foam divider. My plans are about 1/3rd for the fry, the remainder for the pair. I can then shift the divider as needed. I could move the pair to the 20g but for now I will keep them in the same water. If they lay eggs (probably), I might move them to the 20g before the eggs become wigglers.

We just moved into this home almost 3 years ago. Someone asked me if I would change anything about the house. My comment were along the lines -- If I knew that I would have fry I would have gotten a home with a fish room.

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I agree they look great !
    Wait till you see how fast they grow after you separate them from the parents in the next month ,and then again.
    I am shocked how fast these guys grow personally and have several other kinds of fish .
    What size tank do plan on growing them in next ?
    I moved my guys to a 29 at 4 weeks and some were ready to be moved to a larger tank by 8 weeks .

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

So glad these guys are doing so well Frank but be careful, the pair can overwhelm you with fry in a heartbeat. At this point you are going to need another growout tank soon...trust me. 75s work really well for that.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

I agree, really agree.
    My wife and I are already discussing how to get in another tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    So glad these guys are doing so well Frank but be careful, the pair can overwhelm you with fry in a heartbeat. At this point you are going to need another growout tank soon...trust me. 75s work really well for that.
    Pat

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looking stellar Frank! Glad to hear you and wifey are on the same page...that's always a major plus

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Looking stellar Frank! Glad to hear you and wifey are on the same page...that's always a major plus

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Thanks Liz. You are encouraging.
    Today they were attacking a FDBW cube and some loose at the surface. I have some fines from Al for babies that I will start with the separation grow-out. One of the fry took a worm (which was as long as the fry). Another got on the other end. They played tug-a-war for awhile. Brought a smile and a laugh.
    I think several of the fry "choked" some down. Their bellies were pretty big. Good thing the worms were totally soaked.
    Yeah you have to watch those kids and their worm-a-war. They tug, one lets go, and next thing you know one of them goes flying out of the tank.

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast