AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's F1 Growouts from Wild Parents - A Pleasant Surprise!

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: A Pleasant Surprise!

Post one more pics of them both. First, the female.

IMG_0231.jpg

The potential male.

IMG_0232.jpg

Real Name
    Frank

Very helpful Pat! After several hours, a majority of the eggs are still there. Only an egg or two have turned white. We will see if they make it overnight. Both are still fanning the eggs.

Of course, now the dilemma is what to do with the pair. Right now I have a 75g with 6 wilds in it (including the pair) and a 40g breeder with 3 domestics (the ones that made it through my water calamity last fall). I do have a spare 20g that I have used for a hospital tank at times but presently is shut down and empty. I also have a foam divider sized for my 40B tank. So, I could move them although (my thoughts) they like the tank they are in. I could divide the 75g in half (don't know how that works with a canister filter). Then, there is the thought of mixing the 3 domestics with the 4 other wilds -- not sure I am in favor with that.

I am probably overthinking this but will entertain any and all suggestions on moving forward. Do pairs lay eggs all year or are they seasonal?

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Frank, I think you have the genders correct. My observations from breeding wilds is the female is generally smaller with a larger halo then the male. The striations are thinner on the female and the male generally has more striations then the female. Also if you look at the fish head on note the width between the eyes across the nose, the male will be thicker then the female.
    hth,
    Pat

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Frank, they are definitely seasonal. I would let them get to wiggler stage before doing anything. I think your best bet is to partition a third (or so) of the 75 with a large piece of foam. If you read thru the thread I linked on a prior post that is what I did.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks again. I overlooked your link. Heading over to read it.

Frank, they are definitely seasonal. I would let them get to wiggler stage before doing anything. I think your best bet is to partition a third (or so) of the 75 with a large piece of foam. If you read thru the thread I linked on a prior post that is what I did.
    Pat

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

They're a stunning pair Frank, really pleasing to look at! I cannot help you with your needs atm due to knowledge/experience defecits, but functionally with your canister filter if you have the intake on one side of the foam divider and the outlet on the other that will ensure clean water moves across the divider so both side benefit from the filtration.
    All the best mate!

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Daniel.

An Update: eggs are still there. If they make it to this afternoon it will be 24 hours. A few more white eggs (had 1 as of last night, about 30 this morning). I am going to try to add a divider to the 75g today. I am afraid I might spook them. We will see how that goes.

Real Name
    Frank

Pat, that is a long and interesting thread (up to page 25!). This is my first pair, and hopefully my first fry.
    I am thinking I should try a divider. I have a Perot foam divider that I have never used but sized for my 40B. I think the depth is the same. I would have to reduce the water level some. They bred on the filter intake side of my canister. I will probably reduce flow just in case I get wrigglers. I don’t know if I can get some nylon around the intake to make sure the fry don’t get sucked up.

Don’t want to get ahead of myself but it’s hard to get anything else done. The pair don’t seem as stressed as I am.

Frank, first congrats. Having wilds pair up and spawn is a big deal. Can you remove the other fish or add a foam divider? This thread might be of interest http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ild-Tefe-Spawn.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Morning Frank, move slow and the pair will work with you. I placed foam where the overflow sucked in water which returned to the sump in the 230. That might work for your inlet. Once the wigglers hatch the pair may moved them. Give a fish a place to the wigglers to so you can get something over the inlet.
    Pat

Real Name
    Frank

Hmmm.... the only thing on that side of the tank would be the cone, the filter intake, (put back the heater?). I wonder where they would move them? I can add some nylon hose around the filter intake or replace it with some Perot blue foam left over from the divider. The depth is a 1/4 inch larger for the 75g than the 40B.

Morning Frank, move slow and the pair will work with you. I placed foam where the overflow sucked in water which returned to the sump in the 230. That might work for your inlet. Once the wigglers hatch the pair may moved them. Give a fish a place to the wigglers to so you can get something over the inlet.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

The tank does not have a heater? If not add the heater to the side opposite the cone.
    Pat

Real Name
    Frank

Sorry ... yes, of course it has a heater. I had two (one for backup). It was the backup they laid eggs on.

I went to "attempt" the divider and the other 4 fled to cower with the pair, so I backed off for now. After a small interval, the pair drove them back to the other half of the tank.

The tank does not have a heater? If not add the heater to the side opposite the cone.
    Pat

Real Name
    Frank

As of this evening, I have lost some eggs along with some more white eggs. However, the parents are still fanning them. From what I read tomorrow, Lord willing, is when I might see a dot in the eggs if they are viable?

IMG_0239.jpg

I read about the possibility of moving them to my 40B if -

I took the cone & eggs to the 40B (I will divide it)
    Then the parents.

Anyone done this?

Real Name
    Pat

Move the eggs first and then the parents.
    Pat

Real Name
    Frank

I have not done anything on moving them. I am nervous to disturb them at this point. I have about 60% or so of the original laying left but they are darkening (maybe 100 left???).

IMG_0245.jpg

I am a little like Pat was in 2012 with her first Wilds pairing. I am just waiting for something to happen although pretty pleased they have gotten this far. I need to think about how to get BBS potentially going. With the Virus shipping would be too late. Maybe a local Petsmart might have something.
    Last edited by fljones3; 05-08-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

Oh man Frank, I so remember that moment and how the whole forum was on pins and nettles with me. I was fairly new to keeping wilds and here they were breeding. If you wish to add the foam I have a suggestion on that and BTW, those eggs are fertile.
    Pat

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast