AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's F1 Growouts from Wild Parents - A Pleasant Surprise!

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: A Pleasant Surprise!

Thanks! And very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I hatch in 2 liter soda bottles .I use a rigid airline that fits common air hose to reach and stay at bottom of bottle .
    No holes drilled no messing with valves .Set the bubbles right and never change them .
    I pull the air out ,let the shrimp settle and shells float and use a separate rigid line to reach bottom as a syphon with airline to the sieve .
    I hatch 2-3 batches of shrimp everyday for last 3-4 years !
    I never need to adjust valves and since the bottle is not attached to anything cleaning it is easy.
    You have to rinse the bottle after every hatch so I really don't know how people do it with fancy caps or drilling their own cap?

Real Name
    Frank

I have, maybe, 25 still attached to the cone. About the same at the base of the cone. I can see the tail and sac presently.
    The parents seem interested off and on. I think they stopped attending so much after they moved them (or lost them).
    We will see how the morning treats them. Water change in the morning.

Real Name
    Frank

Morning update: they all are missing in action except 4 still on the cone. Parents are not attending to them. I looked around to see if they were moved but did not see any evidence.

Now to the bigger problem. My canister failed last night. I will be scrambling to get filtration going again. I have one sponge filter in storage. As we know supplies are hard to obtain presently.

I will be moving the pair — I can either put them in my 40B (then what to do with the 3 domestics) or set up my 20g tank. I can see positives and negatives to either the 40b or 20g.

Anyway I know what I will be doing today.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Frank, sorry about the canister. On the pair I would like to see another spawn under their belt before you move them. Many times when you move a wild pair they will quit spawning. If you do move them give them as much space as possible.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

To be sure, there is no disappointments on my end (other than the canister). I kept wanting to see further and further stages. Are they a pair? They were. Are they a confirmed male and female? They were. Are the eggs truly fertilized? They were. Wrigglers? Yes. Good parents? They are.

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Pat (and all)! I may not have a choice as I have to do some major cleaning and maintenance on the 75g.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Frank, sorry about the canister. On the pair I would like to see another spawn under their belt before you move them. Many times when you move a wild pair they will quit spawning. If you do move them give them as much space as possible.
    Pat

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I wish I lived closer Frank...I still have a canister and a few HOB filters from our dear friend Capt Tom I could have given you. All the best getting things sorted sir!

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Daniel. I lived east of Columbus, OH for 10.5 years before moving to VA. Here’s my plan of attack.

1. I think I can get a canister from my local fish store today. They are considered essential in VA. I saved my media.
    2. I was checking the cone again and I saw wrigglers on the sand. Not a lot, maybe less than 10. Maybe they will die apart from the cone? But definitely moving their tails. Perhaps I should wait another 24 hours before major maintenance.
    3. I will prepare the 40b and set up the 20g tank.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I wish I lived closer Frank...I still have a canister and a few HOB filters from our dear friend Capt Tom I could have given you. All the best getting things sorted sir!
    Thanks for your offer and generosity, Daniel.

Real Name
    Pat

You sure do rock Danny

Frank, when you canister died did ammonia become a problem in the tank? Could be why you may be seeing fry die off! Another thought is perhaps the water is too dirty?

Pat

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

My pleasure mate. Capt Tom was abundantly generous, and I have paid some of his gift to me forward to keep the spirit of generosity flowing. I still have quite a few items boxed that I am not using that I would like to share with other SD peeps who are close and have needs.
    Very good move to keep the filter media alive
    All the best mate!

Real Name
    Frank

No. My numbers were ok — off of the usual but within limits. I think I would go with the water too dirty.
    One thing I came out is that I need to be normal but I don’t need to tip-toe around the pair.
    I did not get everything re-arranged today but a little progress. Still thinking through the rearrangement. I again want to express my gratitude for the help. I am sure that it can be repetitive saying the same thing to discus lovers when they get their first pair and eggs.

The pair is still in the 75g, hanging around the cone.

You sure do rock Danny

Frank, when you canister died did ammonia become a problem in the tank? Could be why you may be seeing fry die off! Another thought is perhaps the water is too dirty?

Pat
    Last edited by fljones3; 05-09-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Real Name
    Frank

The pair is just starting to prepare the cone again.
    One thing that happened when the canister failed was leakage of water to the floor. Somehow I got to move the 75g so that I can air the leakage under the stand. I was thinking about moving the other 4 out to a partitioned 40B, reduce the water to the place where I can shift the tank onto another table. That seems tedious.

Perhaps I should just take the risk of the pair to the 40B. In a quandary. ...

Real Name
    Frank

Are you saying ... wait until they lay and THEN move the cone and pair? That's what I think you are saying. If not, if you could elaborate a little. Sorry for my lack here.

Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Frank, this is my only experience with doing something like this. When my Tefe mom laid eggs after the first viable spawn I wanted the pair with eggs on the other side of the tank. So I literally moved the eggs (on wood) and the Tefe mom followed the eggs. Then the dad followed. The bond with the eggs are strong and moving eggs is way easy then messing with wigglers. When you do this allow the pair so time after they have laid so their bond is strong. I hope this makes sense?
    Pat

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast